Should I upgrade to Chord Qutest?

nitinmi9

I am currently using SMSL D300

Chain is WiiM Pro+ streamer -> SMSL D300 -> O&B power amp -> Linton

I mostly listen through Spotify and also use the set-up for tv

Why thinking about the change?

1. General itch to upgrade
2. Some audiophile whom I spoke to being doubtful about SMSL
3. General feeling sometimes of music played being ‘missing something’ or being flat
3. All round praise for Qutest along with some comments about its ability to play low res files from Spotify better (unlike most other DACs) due to the internal circuitry

Any comments will be helpful.

3. General feeling sometimes of music played being ‘missing something’ or being flat
3. All round praise for Qutest along with some comments about its ability to play low res files from Spotify better (unlike most other DACs) due to the internal circuitry

Don't do it unless you're getting one at a stellar price in the used market. The cost to improvement ratio would likely not be worth it though I wager it'll provide you with a different signature which you may prefer... or NOT, you never know!

Notwithstanding, if you decide on the Qutest, consider getting a better streamer (though not necessarily pricier) to exploit its full potential. Here's a fellow hfv member's experience of upgrading from the Wiim Pro Plus - Post in thread 'Eversolo DMP A6 vs IFI Zen Stream' https://www.hifivision.com/threads/eversolo-dmp-a6-vs-ifi-zen-stream.95855/post-1058884

Don't do it unless you're getting one at a stellar price in the used market. The cost to improvement ratio would likely not be worth it though I wager it'll provide you with a different signature which you may prefer... or NOT, you never know!

Notwithstanding, if you decide on the Qutest, consider getting a better streamer (though not necessarily pricier) to exploit its full potential. Here's a fellow hfv member's experience of upgrading from the Wiim Pro Plus - Post in thread 'Eversolo DMP A6 vs IFI Zen Stream' https://www.hifivision.com/threads/eversolo-dmp-a6-vs-ifi-zen-stream.95855/post-1058884
Thank u @DB1989. Very helpful.

@DB1989 on hzone it’s currently at 1

I have the qutest. Before that i had changed multiple dacs.

i agree it is expensive, but remember no smsl can reach that sound.
If you believe that nectar lies in midrange, then qutest justifies it.
many dacs upsample, but they introduce artifacts.
But i found qutest nothing like that, which is a great thing.
Harshness, sibilance - no nothing like it.

Remember, you will have 3 months roller coaster ride in qutest. After that only you will like it.
Once you get qutest, you will feel you have arrived. There wont be itch to change.

Remember, you will have 3 months roller coaster ride in qutest. After that only you will like it.
Once you get qutest, you will feel you have arrived. There wont be itch to change.
How does qutest compare against likes of Denafrips, gustard etc? You have owned any r2r dacs before?

@nitinmi9 - @amit11 perfectly elucidates the point i was trying to get at. Here's a person who thought the SMSL D300 was better than the Chord Qutest - it's all subjective

Post in thread 'Smsl d300' https://www.hifivision.com/threads/smsl-d300.89039/post-999622

How does qutest compare against likes of Denafrips, gustard etc? You have owned any r2r dacs before?
I havent owned r2r dacs before.
They may be more better, or to say, a better liking in general than qutest, then you can definitely go for it.
But if non r2r technology, then i would suggest qutest. it is hard to beat. Why it is hard to beat bcos it is damn natural. No artifacts of any sort.
I can listen to it for long listening sessions and no fatigue.

I havent owned r2r dacs before.
They may be more better, or to say, a better liking in general than qutest, then you can definitely go for it.
But if non r2r technology, then i would suggest qutest. it is hard to beat. Why it is hard to beat bcos it is damn natural. No artifacts of any sort.
I can listen to it for long listening sessions and no fatigue.
D300 too has all the qualities said above. Hopefully, qutest will be a step up for op.

Thanks @amit11

This is a similar feedback I have heard from another friend as well who doesn’t have critical ears (like me).

By the time I decided to pull the trigger, qutest went out of stock and for pre-order, the prices raised.

Human tendency is not to pay more for something that was available cheaper yesterday so after looking around for some time, dropped the idea.

However, the itch of trying a chord product was not going.

Then suddenly thought why not to look at mojo 2. Saw many solid reviews of the product in a hifi set-up with the added flexibility of carrying it along for headphone/ car listening.

Ordered one and now the wait starts!

By the time I decided to pull the trigger, qutest went out of stock and for pre-order, the prices raised.

Human tendency is not to pay more for something that was available cheaper yesterday so after looking around for some time, dropped the idea.

Then suddenly thought why not to look at mojo 2. Saw many solid reviews of the product in a hifi set-up with the added flexibility of carrying it along for headphone/ car listening.

Please don't forget to let us know how the chord compares against d300. I have D300 and upgrade itch has already started.

Congratulations, It's a solid product. The Mojo 1 was my first standalone dac and I've held on to it all these years despite "upgrading". In fact, I find it does certain things better than my RME ADI-2 DAC FS. Had it not been for the fact that I can't keep it switched on at all times (something they rectified with version 2), I would've probably not upgraded at all. It's voicing is excellent and it's actually better value than the other Chinese dacs in and around this price point.

You definitely won't regret it. I have been now using for nearly a year and half as a DAC on my main system. I don't think I will change it anytime soon.

Congratulations, It's a solid product. The Mojo 1 was my first standalone dac and I've held on to it all these years despite "upgrading". In fact, I find it does certain things better than my RME ADI-2 DAC FS. Had it not been for the fact that I can't keep it switched on at all times (something they rectified with version 2), I would've probably not upgraded at all. Its voicing is excellent and it's actually better value than the other Chinese dacs in and around this price point.
@DB1989 glad to hear this. Hope it does improvise my listening.

@ajuvignesh

Initial feedback. (I have not done any dsp adjustment to the sound so far)

Most noticeable improvemenets

- my speakers have disappeared ! soundstage has dramatically improved

- sound is clean and punchy with no colouration at all. Vocals especially are more enjoyable now. Everything seems to have passed through some sort of a filter.

On the negatives - device is too small to believe that it’s doing all the heavylifting. It does get hot quite a bit. Besides connectivity are not common and need some additional wires (was already aware abt it).

Above are only initial impressions - having spent a total of 6-7 hrs.

@ajuvignesh

Initial feedback. (I have not done any dsp adjustment to the sound so far)

Most noticeable improvemenets

- my speakers have disappeared ! soundstage has dramatically improved

- sound is clean and punchy with no colouration at all. Vocals especially are more enjoyable now. Everything seems to have passed through some sort of a filter.

On the negatives - device is too small to believe that it’s doing all the heavylifting. It does get hot quite a bit. Besides connectivity are not common and need some additional wires (was already aware abt it).

Above are only initial impressions - having spent a total of 6-7 hrs.
Cool. Thats a worthy upgrade, Right? Is it still musical compared to D300?
And, what is the rest of your chain?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back