1080p or 4k TV?

alex

Dear all,

I currently have a samsung 32'' led which is working fine. I am rather impulsively looking to upgrade to a bigger tv (49-55 inch). My main usage is playing 1080p content through hdmi on the TV and usual SD/ HD dish tv.

1. Does investing in 4k TV make sense for now as there is not much 4k content anyway? Or would you suggest 1080p panel instead.

2. Amongst the budget brands, there is a thread on le tv in this forum. Leaving that aside, how about feedback on 50 inch 1080p from Micromax, Vu, sanyo, TCL etc? Read Sanyo is taken over by panasonic. How about TCL?

Any suggestions welcome

cheers
alex

Dear all,

I currently have a samsung 32'' led which is working fine. I am rather impulsively looking to upgrade to a bigger tv (49-55 inch). My main usage is playing 1080p content through hdmi on the TV and usual SD/ HD dish tv.

Most of your content being FHD, HD & SD, FHD panel makes it better..

1. Does investing in 4k TV make sense for now as there is not much 4k content anyway? Or would you suggest 1080p panel instead.

4K doesn't make it any better, atleast for now..Assuming a 4K TV has a very good upscaler, upscaling SD content 480i to 4K, would be not so good.. upscaling to 1080p might just be better..

2. Amongst the budget brands, there is a thread on le tv in this forum. Leaving that aside, how about feedback on 50 inch 1080p from Micromax, Vu, sanyo, TCL etc? Read Sanyo is taken over by panasonic. How about TCL?

Sanyo taken over by Panasonic doesn't guarantee anything... May be quality of production..Assuming panel failures start in between 3rd - 4th year of ownership, it is better to spend on any brand who has affordable price and of-course maximum warranty..

Few of my friends have Micromax 50 inch TV, bough for 31 ~ 33K during big event sale with 3 yrs warranty.. Picture quality is good for the price.. It doesn't have to beat the bigger brands.. Micromax doesn't have HDMI-ARC (or) CEC, also they don't offer optical-out/co-axial output.. Juz in case you want to connect to DAC/AVR, this might be an important factor..

VU on the other hand provides optical out/co-axial out on Play series and provides HDMI ARC & CEC on smart series.. You might have to buy extended warranty for 2 yrs..

Sanyo on the other hand, think offer HDMI-ARC, with 1 yr warranty.. You will need to buy 2 yrs extended warranty..

4k tvs make no sense for india but every manufacturer has out 4k in mid to top end tvs. Upscaling SD content makes it look worse. HDR is a totally different thing in addition and it is only available on expensive tvs. If you want great quality 1080p tv only Sony has W80d and W95d series which makes sense for us. Otherwise you can get cheaper tvs with 4k like LeEco etc.

Most of your content being FHD, HD & SD, FHD panel makes it better..

4K doesn't make it any better, atleast for now..Assuming a 4K TV has a very good upscaler, upscaling SD content 480i to 4K, would be not so good.. upscaling to 1080p might just be better..

Sanyo taken over by Panasonic doesn't guarantee anything... May be quality of production..Assuming panel failures start in between 3rd - 4th year of ownership, it is better to spend on any brand who has affordable price and of-course maximum warranty..

Few of my friends have Micromax 50 inch TV, bough for 31 ~ 33K during big event sale with 3 yrs warranty.. Picture quality is good for the price.. It doesn't have to beat the bigger brands.. Micromax doesn't have HDMI-ARC (or) CEC, also they don't offer optical-out/co-axial output.. Juz in case you want to connect to DAC/AVR, this might be an important factor..

VU on the other hand provides optical out/co-axial out on Play series and provides HDMI ARC & CEC on smart series.. You might have to buy extended warranty for 2 yrs..

Sanyo on the other hand, think offer HDMI-ARC, with 1 yr warranty.. You will need to buy 2 yrs extended warranty..

Thanks. Really helpful. If I may just ask about the sound aspect.

my dishtv hd box has hdmi, rca and toslink out. I am currently using hdmi to connect audio and video to samsung tv. The tv has jeadphone jack, and toslink out for audio (also has 2 unused hdmi ports) which I am not using, so sound is from tv speakers.

My Dac is a dragonfly which accepts only usb input (connected to m y laptop). To get sound from my external speakers for TV/ dish tv, I can use rca cable from dish tv directly to my amplifier. However, that bypasses the dac. Is there a way to get the dac in between.

Not sure if this would help MX MDR ELECTRONICS & MX ELECTRONICS & HDMI & CCTV CAMERA & DVR & SDI ACCESSORIES & VGA ; DVI & APPLE ACCESSORIES & CABLES & CONNECTORS & HOME THEATER CABLES & PRO-AUDIO / STUDIO ACCESSORIES & FIBER OPTICS & CABLE MANAGEMENT & CABLE ORGANISER & VIDEO

In case dac can't be used in between (or is an expensive situation), I would then use rca from dish tv to rca of amplifier. To avoid changing cables everytime b/w tv and laptop use, if I use an rca splitter (in case connecting dish tv directly to rca input of amplifier which also takes in rca input from my dac), would it result in signal quality loss for my dac-speaker combo (basically flacs played from laptop through dac and amplifier).

http://mdrelectronics.com/ProductDisplay.asp?PID=358

Also can this be used as splitter instead of above, not sure if this would work: http://mdrelectronics.com/productdisplay.asp?PID=185

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
However, that bypasses the dac. Is there a way to get the dac in between.

In case dac can't be used in between (or is an expensive situation), I would then use rca from dish tv to rca of amplifier. To avoid changing cables everytime b/w tv and laptop use

Amazon.in: null

1.5K.. Think not very expensive..You can use this for your TV optical out and the amplifier.. Should def be better than the TV Analogue out..

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back