1973 make Philips Turntable

ajaybiz

Inherited this 1973 Philips Turntable from my dad which he bought after 3 years of his service in bank, i don't remember the cost but its priceless for our family now.
Now i want to restore this classic need help about spares its in perfect working condition but badly need the needle which rubs the LP disc, all gears inside which are made of rubber, speakers as we destroyed them while playing with higher wattage cassette player in mid 90's.
I don't have any details about this player only model number is there at the bottom.

Attachments

• 11112010344.jpg
    11112010344.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 264
  • 11112010345.jpg
    11112010345.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 257
  • 11112010346.jpg
    11112010346.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 255
  • 11112010347.jpg
    11112010347.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 257
  • 11112010348.jpg
    11112010348.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 258
Hi,

I used to have the same one one with my dad. I know almost all the details of the turntable. It is a idler pulley based model. It has a ceramic cartridge which has a stylus that can be flipped for 78 rpm and regular 33 1/3 and 45rpm vinyls. The in-built amp is a TBA-810 chip based amp. The speakers are Philips dual cone type.

This player and amp is pretty low-fi and can be restored only for sentimental reasons and not for any great sound quality. The stylus should be available from needle doctor.

Cheers.

I also have the next version of the turntable, with same speakers. Please check with shafi - +91-9995017065 for any help about the player.

Thanks,
studiomaster

Inherited this 1973 Philips Turntable from my dad which he bought after 3 years of his service in bank, i don't remember the cost but its priceless for our family now.
Now i want to restore this classic need help about spares its in perfect working condition but badly need the needle which rubs the LP disc, all gears inside which are made of rubber, speakers as we destroyed them while playing with higher wattage cassette player in mid 90's.
I don't have any details about this player only model number is there at the bottom.
iF YOU ARE IN DELHI GO TO GRAMOPHONE HOUSE OPP- MOTI CINEMA CHANDANI CHOWK CONTACT ANUJ 09810955557 HE WILL RESTORE IT FOR SURE

nice piece of history, i remember my school used to own one and we used to have a team of volunteers who would play records on them for the students, during the lunch hour...no prizes for guessing why i missed all those cricket matches played during the lunch hour :)

also, with all due respect, i suggest you do some research on how record players work (google of course), the key components and so on before you open the cabinet, your turntable has a built-in amp and hence, you'll have to deal with 2 separate aspects, the mechanicals and the electronics. please be very careful with the mechanicals as spares are almost impossible to get. The electronics however should be a cake-walk if you have the basics in place....the TBA 810 IC brings back great memories...as school kids, my brother and I built our very first stereo amplifier with a pair of TBA 810 ICs...with regard to the stylus (what you referred to as the part which "rubs" the record surface), these used to cost about Rs.15 way back in the early 1980s but since of late, all those electronics spares guys have been on the internet and have realized that LPs are on the way back and there is keen interest, hence they have dug up their old stock and have sky-rocketed the prices...you are a month or so late, we had a couple of these spare stylii lying around at home, i handed them over to another forum member who purchased our dad's Garrard SP25 from us.

Last edited:
These pictures bring up thousands of memories. Dad used to have one of these and I grew up listening to it. It went bust and was thrown away by mom.

The player is extremely pretty low fi and as someone said is worth restoring only for sentimental reasons.

Sentiment is a great inspiration, as is nostalgia. My wife got a record player lying idle at her home for 20 years repaired solely for the reason that it reminded her of the times when she listened to it as a child. It was a Philips too, and closely resembled yours.

Sorry I don't know where this can be restored in Bangalore.

But if you happen to visit Kolkata anytime, just let me know. There are many people here still repairing them. Styli are available too.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back