1991 - The End of Vinyl, 2022 - Still alive and kicking!

It is almost unbearable to see those records getting destroyed. But i guess vinyl has pretty much had its revenge on CDs - in 2021 they outsold CDs.

It is almost unbearable to see those records getting destroyed. But i guess vinyl has pretty much had its revenge on CDs - in 2021 they outsold CDs.

The Vinyl does overtake the CD but the cd has been falling very steeply due to streaming. this is as of 2017 but in 5 years cds have fallen further and vinyl has gone up.

But the volume is still due to streaming.

30-years-of-music-sales-2.png

A newer .7 or lesser mil stylus is unsuitable for old shellacs. It would be worthwhile to purchase a 2.5 mil or above styli. Ortofon, Grado and Audio Technica have such styli for their existing carts. If you have ceramic capable playback, nothing like a Philips GP 204/224 cart with a flip-over 78 rpm styli to take you into the 78 world.

Its mentioned on wikipedia that Dire Straits' Brothers in Arms was the first album mastered and released specifically for the CD market and an abridged version was released on vinyl.

The outcome - this album became the first to sell 1 million in the CD format, and eventually it became the first time that an album on CD outsold its vinyl counterpart. I wonder if historians will eventually acknowledge Dire Straits' role in the 'temporary' decline of the vinyl record :)

I have Dire Straits CD and it's very good. I also have the LP
album, but somehow I found the CD better. Maybe the later remastered versions were better, though I have not heard them.
In1991 a Procul Harum CD was available for ₹500! A princely sum in those days.

Retro - 1988 (Australia)
LP prices go up by $2, CDs become less expensive

CDs taking over - 1988

CDs last forever - they hadnt heard of CD rot in those days! Unlike 30 year old CDs, i have 50+ year old records that still sound absolutely fine!

In 1991, India had one grandmaster in chess. In 2022 there are 70 and counting. Classical things stand the test of time.

I believe it was an entire movement by the music companies to push people towards CDs where the profit margin was much higher compared to LPs. It also forced a lot of people to double-dip and rebuy their collections on CDs. I was probably guilty of the same.

I have considered getting a record player again (have happy memories of using one in my childhood). But (a) dang LPs are expensive compared to $2.50-$4 FLACs off Presto Digital and (b) so much of the music that i listen to (classical symphonies) are not available, atleast locally.

In an idea world, one would be able to get a custom-pressed LP consisting of the music one wanted....

(b) so much of the music that i listen to (classical symphonies) are not available, atleast locally.
I get my classical vinyls from Amazon UK during my visits. They even mail it here. Never had a problem. Pretty decent collection unless you are looking at something esoteric.
Earlier Amazon India had decent collection too, though shipping was atrocious. Post COVID, things are pathetic.

About the cost... well, isn't good music supposed to bring tears to your eyes... :)

On yes , film photography is back with a vengeance since the last decade. Even I have ditched my Nikon DSLR in favour of an Olympus 35mm full frame analog camera.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back