2.1 Speaker for Small Hall, 7~8 feet viewing distance

bloodmeister

Hi All

I have Samsung P51F5500 Plasma the built in speaker is not sufficient and pathetic as expected, doesn't bring out the details even in vocals.

I want a 2.1 Speaker system for TV viewing and BluRay/BR Rip Movie watching and Gaming. I probably will be listening to Music only very occasionally so BR and BRRip Movies > Gaming > TV viewing > Music is the purpose.

I don't have any AMP or AVR. I will be connecting the speakers to the PC which is connected to the TV via HDMI for Gaming and BluRay viewing as I have the BR-ROM drive in my PC only. And directly to the TV for TV viewing as I am not sure I will be having my PC all the time in my Hall. (Soundcard on my PC is : Asus Xonar DG.)

5.1 is ruled out as 1. Wiring is impossible right now, as it is very small 2. This isn't my final setup, as I will be moving out and assembling a proper high end 5.1 in my new home. 3. If I buy this 2.1 can use it later with my PC.

So, the requirements are:
- Budget within 5~7K ..can reach to 11-12K if it is worth it.
- Details for movie watching .... Must be able to hear Details like rainfall, noises etc without compromising Voice clarity.
- Need solid Immersive Bass for movies esp. Explosions etc.
- Wide Soundstage/Surround Sound.
- Must be loud enough to hear from 7~8 feet, which is where my Sofa is.

I zeroed down Edifier C3 two weeks ago since I read this review (Tech ARP - Edifier C3 2.1 Speaker System Review) and I was impressed by the looks from the photo as it looks more TV speaker-ish than PC speakers. So I went ahead and ordered it from Flipkart but now the seller said the speaker is out of stock.
There is an another one in stock for 11.5K from Amazon, but decided to post here before going ahead with it. Was also having Swan M10 in my mind but I read the bass is normal and I am not sure if it will be loud enough for a viewing distance of 7feet, so I am kinda confused. Your suggestions please......

Or should I completely go the Soundbar route and get the Wharfedale Vista 100 for 20K. Since it is 20K and out of my budget I ruled that out. But if it is far better than a 2.1 I will consider it.

What a coincidence. I also just bought the same model and I was also looking for the same thing and I also have the same requirements. The choice has been very difficult for me as the reviews and recommendations are very less on this topic. I had 2-3 choices in mind
1 F&D T780W soundbar - 8/12k
2 F&D T80U 2.0 Speakers - 8/13k
3 Samsung HW-H450 Soundbar - 18k
4 Samsung HW-H551 Soundbar - 25k
I was only able to audition HW-551 which sounded good buy was expensive, so I want to first audition the others which I have not been able to. If anyone else can give some ideas.

I have Edifier C3, and it is very good for music. Movies also felt good with good bass and clear vocals. The bass is tight, not boomy like other entry level speaker systems.

Okay, will go for Edifier C3 then.

Also anyone has any idea where to get Edifier C3 for cheap in Chennai.
I tried Mercy Electronics he contacted the dealer and he said the model is discontinued.
It is available in Amazon for 11.5K. Can't get it for cheaper than that?

Hi Bloodmeister,
Sound Maestro's suggestion of Klipsch promedia is spot on. Its THX certified so the movie experience would be nothing short of astounding.. plus the music would sound so good that you would be listening for hours on end..
here's the link Home Computer Speakers | High Quality Home Audio by Klipsch

Cheers
Ravi
Klipsch promedia is THX certified as a multimedia computer speaker where listening distances are 2 feet or so and not 7-8 feet which is a typical living room. So Klipsch promedia might be a great computer speaker but need not be a great living room TV speaker - THX certainly does not certify it for that purpose.
THX Certification Performance Categories

Hi sash,
What you say is true.. but op here wanted a solution that is near hometheatre performance on a budget and as sound bars have never cut the cake for me I recommended these and I guess with a max output of 106db SPL (heck I have never gone beyond 84 on full action movies) its as good if not better as any 2 channel HT solution in its price range while THX certification might end at 2 feet but it certainly benefits the SQ of the product..

Hi sash,
What you say is true.. but op here wanted a solution that is near hometheatre performance on a budget and as sound bars have never cut the cake for me I recommended these and I guess with a max output of 106db SPL (heck I have never gone beyond 84 on full action movies) its as good if not better as any 2 channel HT solution in its price range while THX certification might end at 2 feet but it certainly benefits the SQ of the product..
If it can do 106, then surely it can fill a typical living room. We should hear from someone who has actually used it with a TV. I can vouch for Klipsch quality though - i have a sub that shakes my house and it has great build quality

Hi All

I have Samsung P51F5500 Plasma the built in speaker is not sufficient and pathetic as expected, doesn't bring out the details even in vocals.

I want a 2.1 Speaker system for TV viewing and BluRay/BR Rip Movie watching and Gaming. I probably will be listening to Music only very occasionally so BR and BRRip Movies > Gaming > TV viewing > Music is the purpose.

I don't have any AMP or AVR. I will be connecting the speakers to the PC which is connected to the TV via HDMI for Gaming and BluRay viewing as I have the BR-ROM drive in my PC only. And directly to the TV for TV viewing as I am not sure I will be having my PC all the time in my Hall. (Soundcard on my PC is : Asus Xonar DG.)

5.1 is ruled out as 1. Wiring is impossible right now, as it is very small 2. This isn't my final setup, as I will be moving out and assembling a proper high end 5.1 in my new home. 3. If I buy this 2.1 can use it later with my PC.

So, the requirements are:
- Budget within 5~7K ..can reach to 11-12K if it is worth it.
- Details for movie watching .... Must be able to hear Details like rainfall, noises etc without compromising Voice clarity.
- Need solid Immersive Bass for movies esp. Explosions etc.
- Wide Soundstage/Surround Sound.
- Must be loud enough to hear from 7~8 feet, which is where my Sofa is.

I zeroed down Edifier C3 two weeks ago since I read this review (Tech ARP - Edifier C3 2.1 Speaker System Review) and I was impressed by the looks from the photo as it looks more TV speaker-ish than PC speakers. So I went ahead and ordered it from Flipkart but now the seller said the speaker is out of stock.
There is an another one in stock for 11.5K from Amazon, but decided to post here before going ahead with it. Was also having Swan M10 in my mind but I read the bass is normal and I am not sure if it will be loud enough for a viewing distance of 7feet, so I am kinda confused. Your suggestions please......

Or should I completely go the Soundbar route and get the Wharfedale Vista 100 for 20K. Since it is 20K and out of my budget I ruled that out. But if it is far better than a 2.1 I will consider it.

You may consider these two speakers --
1) Edifier Studio 7 (R2700). It's a 3 way stereo speakers system, great for movies and music. Link : Edifier Studio 7 R2700 2.0 Speaker System price in india Rs.9530. Buy Edifier Studio 7 R2700 2.0 Speaker System online : Theitdepot.com

2) JBL Spot 2.1 speakers system. Link : Buy Jbl Spot 2.1 Speaker System With Warranty - Best online prices and reviews from shopping sites in India

I have ordered these
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/fd-t80u-compact-20-speaker/1619853684
and am waiting for delivery - it is on the way. One of our FMs has this and he thinks it is pretty good for the price. I'll post my impressions after i get them.
It must be noted here that i'll be using this only for regular/casual TV viewing like news, Nat Geo, occasional movie on HBO. I have a separate dedicated space for serious movie watching.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back