2 Channel Stereo: Onkyo TX 8050 Network Stereo | PSB Image T5

Nikhil:
I am vacillating over buying the TX8050. I was ready to purchase until I read the following negative review about the network capability. I would really appreciate your comments about this function in relation to the attached reference.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1353726/beware-of-the-onkyo-tx-8050
Thanks,
Chrisjs

Chris,

That post was one of the early criticisms of the TX8050 which were later sorted to some extent.
See the Onkyo firmware update log where some of the issues were sorted out (Nov 2011 update).
http://www.intl.onkyo.com/support/firmware/tx-8050.html

The first point is an issue related to the way the network is setup. For best results use a wired connection, a 100 Base-TX switched Ethernet
network is recommended
as per the manual. But I think even for wireless the latest firmware update has taken care of this.

I switched to an AppleTV eventually which connects to the TX8050 via optical cable and really its been smooth sailing. Highly recommended if you can spring for the additional $100 bucks. Controlling your music over iPhone/iPad is easy as it gets. Some of the issues related to the AAC formats are issues I couldn't really replicate. I played all kinds of files over the AppleTV just fine except FLAC. But there's a hack for that as well if you care to get into it.

Last edited:
Thanks Nikhil for this piece. Have taken a demo of TX 8050, Denon PMA 720 AE and Cambridge Audio 651A but felt TX 8050 is VFM with all networking options.

Initially was a bit deterred due to negative reviews on network capabilities but your thread clarifies it and mostly will settle for it. Onkyo Wonderland in Bangalore has quoted 36k and could end up buying it in a week's time.

Why Denon and Cambridge Audio will not be purchased is because since they lack networking I will have to buy separate network players and in case of Denon will cost 70k and Cambridge Audio 1.2 lacs (amp+network player) where as TX 8050 will come for a cool 36k.

Thanks for the thread :)

Last edited:
Thanks Nikhil for this piece. Have taken a demo of TX 8050, Denon PMA 720 AE and Cambridge Audio 651A but felt TX 8050 is VFM with all networking options.

Thanks for the thread :)

Hey, glad you could find it of some use. Let me know if you need more info!

Congrats Nikhil ...

Superb and smooth setup... easy to play ... is the mantra of today's music era

one more reason to catch-up for exploring your onkyo ...

My TT , New cart , New phono stage too will take a while , so probably sometime next month we will plan

Have a great and enjoyable listening

Tanoj

Hi Nikhil

Can u tell me anything about the sound quality of TX-8030 as it appears to have similar specs on the amp section as that of 8050 excepting for the network features? Any idea of its price?

Hi Nikhil

Can u tell me anything about the sound quality of TX-8030 as it appears to have similar specs on the amp section as that of 8050 excepting for the network features? Any idea of its price?

No idea on this amp at all other than what's on paper.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back