2 Channel Stereo: Onkyo TX 8050 Network Stereo | PSB Image T5

Nikhil

Staff member
The wife and I do a lot of our listening on our iPad and iPhones and all our music is on our Windows 7 PC. We wanted a pure Stereo setup with which to enjoy our music. After looking around it became clear to me that we needed something with a network feature that would let us connect to our music media files on our PC and online sources.

2 Channel Stereo:
Sony CDP-CX255
iPad with O Remote
Onkyo TX 8050 Network Stereo Receiver
PSB Image T5 Floorstanders
Supra Cables

The Sony CDP is 200 CD changer and more than enough for whatever we have on CD at the moment. The Onkyo connects to a bunch of Internet Radio stations which is an awesome new area of listening for us. We also use the Disk Station app to connect to a media server with FLAC files. I also use the O Remote app to control the receiver over DLNA connection to the media server on our Windows 7 PC.

DSC_0008.JPG

Sort of bare but that's about it - 2 Channel Stereo Up and Running!
Speakers moved forward as in the photo creates a better sound stage.

DSC_0010.JPG

Some pretty minimal sources here: iPad running the DS Audio app. The Nokia Onkyo UWF-1 Wireless LAN Adapter connects to the home wifi for internet radio or to play files on our media server.

We're at the point now where we've left the system to do it's thing and we have started listening to the music. Tweaking for the differences in input signal from the different sources with the Onkyo IntelliVolume feature was all we did. Its great to get back to listening to stereo. Thanks for looking up this thread!

congrats friend. I was thinking on the lines of a Onkyo TX8050 with PSB Image t6 - how is the sound like - is is warm, neutral? I am having a media server set up in the next few weeks and was lookign at the TX 8050 vs the Logitech Squeebox (with a Caiman DAC + NAD 356 BEE + PSB Image t6).

congrats friend. I was thinking on the lines of a Onkyo TX8050 with PSB Image t6 - how is the sound like - is is warm, neutral? I am having a media server set up in the next few weeks and was lookign at the TX 8050 vs the Logitech Squeebox (with a Caiman DAC + NAD 356 BEE + PSB Image t6).

The PSBs are neutral speakers. I like them because I then add the "coloration" I like. I like Onkyo in general and had picked up the amp before getting the speakers. Head to head the 8050 has a bit more on the 356 BEE + the network features and USB connection. The network features sealed the deal for me with the TX 8050. You don't need the DAC or the Squeezebox. Using the Squeezebox gives you some features though like a display. The TX 8050 is pretty good package for all that you get in one box. Just add speakers and you're good to go.

The PSBs are neutral speakers. I like them because I then add the "coloration" I like. I like Onkyo in general and had picked up the amp before getting the speakers. Head to head the 8050 has a bit more on the 356 BEE + the network features and USB connection. The network features sealed the deal for me with the TX 8050. You don't need the DAC or the Squeezebox. Using the Squeezebox gives you some features though like a display. The TX 8050 is pretty good package for all that you get in one box. Just add speakers and you're good to go.

Thanks man. I am starting out again here in the US - love the PSB sound but never know how it will go with the onkyo 8050 which is being offered at a very reasonable price on Amazon. But I don't want to do a blind buy - I have a hifi shop nearby (read 40 miles) which carries both NAD and PSB but is only open Friday-Sun. (talk about people having multiple businesses here)

how much did the 8050 cost? And what is the power input max of this amp?

Got it here in Hyderabad from Onkyo for Rs 35K. Its a bit expensive here in India. For some reason the 8050 is being sold for a great price in Europe and the USA. I don't understand what you mean by power input? Its an integrated rated at 130 W/c at 6 ohms. Has a Pre Out for a Power Amp. Plenty of power to handle most speakers and room settings.

Last edited:
But I don't want to do a blind buy - I have a hifi shop nearby (read 40 miles) which carries both NAD and PSB but is only open Friday-Sun. (talk about people having multiple businesses here)

Its a good solid performer. Here's another thread from whathifi which is pretty positive on this amp:
Onkyo TX-8050 alert - It's arrived, it's arrived! | whathifi.com

NAD and PSB are owned by the same company so dealers tend to carry both lines. The PSBs are also designed with the NADs as their reference which makes them a good pairing.

wondering how will this compare with the performance of CA AZUR 650A. May be I can ask the Onkyo guys here is kolkata for home demo if they are willing to offer.

wondering how will this compare with the performance of CA AZUR 650A. May be I can ask the Onkyo guys here is kolkata for home demo if they are willing to offer.

haisaikat, it's a slightly different creature than the 650A which is a straight forward integrated amp. The TX 8050 gives you a lot of options for network connections (home wifi or LAN) and also USB which is big if you have a lot of your media on pen drives etc. (ie no DAC required). Quite frankly how it sends depends on a lot of things but I can assure its a very capable amp.

haisaikat, it's a slightly different creature than the 650A which is a straight forward integrated amp. The TX 8050 gives you a lot of options for network connections (home wifi or LAN) and also USB which is big if you have a lot of your media on pen drives etc. (ie no DAC required). Quite frankly how it sends depends on a lot of things but I can assure its a very capable amp.

I myself have eyed this amp for long but what I am trying to say is considering the audio performance of the device what will be comparison with CA 650 A for 26K INR. Do not think a side by side comparison will be possible in any showroom

Wow the 8050 amp has everything - good power, digitail in, Ethernet and even does video though not hdmi. If the dac is decent , great package.

Nikhil, did you get demo of the amp in Hyderabad?

Wow the 8050 amp has everything - good power, digitail in, Ethernet and even does video though not hdmi. If the dac is decent , great package.

Nikhil, did you get demo of the amp in Hyderabad?

The Onkyo Service Centre at Ameerpet got it for me with a no obligation to buy basis. After listening to it I was quite happy with it and picked it up. The Onkyo outlets are more HT these days so they rarely have stereo amps ready on demo. They had to get it from Chennai for us. :cool:

Srinivas and his team at Onkyo did a great job with our audition. One example was when we tried to connect my iPad to the amp. The sound was terrible but we had heard the CD before so we knew something was wrong. The Onkyo guys without hesitation opened up every single iPad/iPhone accessory they had. Finally we realized that the USB port was the way to get to the DAC and things were sorted after that. Still it was a good half hour of head scratching!

Last edited:
A Question regarding playback support of Onkyo TX 8050 Network Stereo

Can it play FLAC stored in a NAS...

any problem/complient regarding Onkyo TX 8050 Network Stereo..

Will you recommend anyone to buy it..
Is it worth ~35K..

Thanks in Advance...

A Question regarding playback support of Onkyo TX 8050 Network Stereo

can it play ISO file.. (audio cd's ISO)

Thanks in Advance...

Sweet Setup you got there Nikhil!! hmmm would definitely like to listen to the sound thats produced from this nice setup!!!

P.S: Sorry didnt notice your thread earlier!!! :/

Re: A Question regarding playback support of Onkyo TX 8050 Network Stereo

Can it play FLAC stored in a NAS...

any problem/complient regarding Onkyo TX 8050 Network Stereo..

Will you recommend anyone to buy it..
Is it worth ~35K..

Thanks in Advance...

VishnuNJ sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this.

Yes it does play flacs stored in a NAS. I connect to a friend's DiskStation in Holland. The files are lossless flacs and I stream them over wifi using AppleTV nowadays.

I recommend it highly to those who know what they are buying. It's a stereo amp with network features and a built in DAC. Handles all the audio formats you can throw at it with ease. You're getting convenience with very decent sound. I use it to play audio from all kinds of sources - iPhones, iPads (with iTunes) Windows 7 PC (using Media Player 12). This is very dependable "low-fi" integrated.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back