2 Questions..

realactivex

Hi All,

My 3 year old daughter just vandalised my LCD screen with her ball point pen. There should atleast be a kilometer of scribbled ink lines on my lcd screen.. I have not tried anything other than using a soft cloth to wipe the screen. And it did not work. Any other ideas?

2.I intend to have a floor to ceiling rack of shelf made of plywood and sunmica.
The lower shelf will be roughly of dimension 1.5 feet wide * 1.1 meters tall * 2 feet deep. The upper area will be series of shelfs for my dvd's.
I am planning to place my floor stander (not yet bought, but it would be wharfedale 9.5 with dimensions 223w*900h*301d) in the lower shelf.
I intend to have 2 doors to this shelf to cover the speaker. the inner one would be a meshed door and the outer one would be a solid door. The inner door will always be locked, but would be transparent to the music.When i listen to music, i will just open the outer door.
This arrangement to prevent my toddler from poking a pen or a sharp object into the drivers..
Any flaws in this arrangement? What kind of transparanet material do you recommend for the inner door?

Take soft cloth like our inner wear like our baniyan and spray Colin (or something similar) on the cloth and then wipe the screen with this damp cloth. Have not faced a similar problem but this has worked fine for me till now.

Hi All,

My 3 year old daughter just vandalised my LCD screen with her ball point pen. There should atleast be a kilometer of scribbled ink lines on my lcd screen.. I have not tried anything other than using a soft cloth to wipe the screen. And it did not work. Any other ideas?

2.I intend to have a floor to ceiling rack of shelf made of plywood and sunmica.
The lower shelf will be roughly of dimension 1.5 feet wide * 1.1 meters tall * 2 feet deep. The upper area will be series of shelfs for my dvd's.
I am planning to place my floor stander (not yet bought, but it would be wharfedale 9.5 with dimensions 223w*900h*301d) in the lower shelf.
I intend to have 2 doors to this shelf to cover the speaker. the inner one would be a meshed door and the outer one would be a solid door. The inner door will always be locked, but would be transparent to the music.When i listen to music, i will just open the outer door.
This arrangement to prevent my toddler from poking a pen or a sharp object into the drivers..
Any flaws in this arrangement? What kind of transparanet material do you recommend for the inner door?

Google suggests alcohol so you can try with mild alcohol or nail polish remover (your wife should stock this). Do note do not directly apply on the LCD screen. Apply on soft cloth and wipe with the cloth. Try in small quantities initially.

I intend to have 2 doors to this shelf to cover the speaker. the inner one would be a meshed door and the outer one would be a solid door. The inner door will always be locked, but would be transparent to the music.When i listen to music, i will just open the outer door. This arrangement to prevent my toddler from poking a pen or a sharp object into the drivers.. Any flaws in this arrangement? What kind of transparanet material do you recommend for the inner door?

This has been discussed to some extent in http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/3736-child-proofing-speakers.html. Though the arrangement is Ok for child proofing, it might play havoc with the sound.

Keep the rear of the speaker shelf completely open, to least where the rear firing ports are. In the front, the drivers should be flush with the front edges of the shelf, so that sound does not create standing waves inside the shelf.

That is the best you can do.

Cheers

This is from my DIY Expereince.
Alcohol and acetone have slightly different properties where I found acetone (nail polish remover is stronger> Ditto "thinner" used in paintwork is "stronge"
Expert comments please

Check if tech support help in this.

Also in case of diy strat from a corner - also take several pieces of cloth

I would refrain from using anything that has chemical reaction including nail polish remover and particularly thinners. A thinner will remove the crayon mark, but will mark the surface permanently, particularly if it plastic.

The best will be warm water, mild soap, and lots of hard work. It may also make sense to check with the dealer if they have some special cleaning solutions for monitors. Last time I was in the US., I saw some special solutions for cleaning LCD screens that were used as monitors for computers. So the same should work LCDs.

Anything you use, please test on a small corner and ensure there is no permanent damage.

Cheers.

Nail polish removers etc. have traces of ammonia in them and a big NO NO for cleaning electronics (ever wondered how "easily" the thick coat of polish comes off :)

A better option is to use a solution of distilled water and upto 50% diluted isopropyl alcohol. This is what is found in most "cleaners" that are sold in stores for cleaning LCD monitors including PCs, TVs etc.

You can get a bottle of the concentrate (90-97% pure) and mix with water from equal parts.

soap solutions are are not recommened for cleaning the monitors due to their composition chemicals.

bhai don' even think of using nail polish remover or any other fluid for cleaning a LCD screen - i had used alcohol on my office laptop and it left a permanent mark on the screen. Luckily i got away scott free while changing jobs.

Rest aside - visit a chroma or a big store and buy a LCD/plasma cleaning solution - cost s around 1k and it will take numerous attempts to get the marks off.

PS: i have a daughter who is 4 month sold - and in the process of setting up a HT system.

Rule1 - Get a separate room and set rules for the lil one - for the time being :eek:

Rest aside - visit a chroma or a big store and buy a LCD/plasma cleaning solution - cost s around 1k and it will take numerous attempts to get the marks off.

Be careful otherwise you will get ripped off (1K for a cleaner - check the ingredients and if you don't find any drop it as you wont know what it is made of).

PS: i have a daughter who is 4 month sold - and in the process of setting up a HT system.

Rule1 - Get a separate room and set rules for the lil one - for the time being :eek:

So you think you can set rules for a 4 month old? I am assuming this is your first one - will be a challenge for all to ensure it :)

Hi

You should also leave the bottom open so that you can place your speaker on the floor to get the real acuastic effect of the speaker as the name suggests (floor standers).

Regarding cleaning of the LCD consult your manufacturers thru' website.

Regards

sub

PS: i have a daughter who is 4 month sold - and in the process of setting up a HT system. Rule1 - Get a separate room and set rules for the lil one - for the time being :eek:

Supra please read through http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/3736-child-proofing-speakers.html again very carefully. Many of us including Asit and I had become emotional in that thread, but please, please, please remember, your child is way more precious than anything else in your life. Bring the child up with love and affection, and absolutely no fear. Nothing is more rewarding than the smile on your child's face. Children will be mischievous, curious, and will break things. It is up to us to protect the children from both mental and physical harm.

I will give you an example. In India when a toddler falls, we rush to child pick it, and, to make it quite, we slap the ground or slap the furniture that tripped the child. In Israel, when a child falls, the father/mother will stand a bit away, and encourage the child to get up and walk again. The child may cry a bit, but it will take the effort and start walking again. This simple difference has an enormous effect on the psyche of the child. In India, we grow up moaning and always blaming others for all our troubles. An Israeli will face hassles head-on and and fight.

As I had said in the other thread, you have a lifetime to hear music and watch movies. They are just DVDs and CDs. They can be stored and used later.

You have only ONE chance in life to bring your child up well. Please do not leave a mark on the child's psyche for your own personal pleasures.

Cheers

So you think you can set rules for a 4 month old? I am assuming this is your first one - will be a challenge for all to ensure it :)

dude just trying to help the poor guy and probably settign up zones for my baby........the earlier the better. Or else for the next 7-8 years i can say good bye to all my electronics equipment. One of my cousins was like that - every visit and my toys would got for a toss - included racing cars, game sets and an occasional record player.

@realactivex - What's the status? Any progress?

Hi Moserw,
I used a soft banian cloth and some warm water to clean the screen.. It is slightly better than before, but my little one has made sure that her marks remain indelible :).
I was really very upset earlier on..now i think i have taken a step back.
This was basically for her own lcd.. so while i will keep trying methods to clean this up (i need to buy colin as i write this), i have told her very mildly that she should be responsible for her actions, (if done carelessly, they would cause her heartburn)
I have not seen her using any writing object on the screen and in the floor and the walls in the past few days. Maybe, every dark cloud does indeed have a silver lining.

My PV8 will be delivered tomorrow. I will have it mounted on the wall at about 4 feet from the floor level. So, this should keep her away from this for atleast the few months. And i hope that is enough time for her to learn to love things :)

The speakers :-> The work is still on. Since i have not yet purchased the Floor standers this moment, my work on that front is only preparatory in nature. I will heed venkat's advise to flush the speaker driver to the door level of the shelf. There has been another suggestion to mount in on the floor within the shelf as that's where floor standers should be.
All suggestions taken with thanks...

Supra please read through http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/3736-child-proofing-speakers.html again very carefully. Many of us including Asit and I had become emotional in that thread, but please, please, please remember, your child is way more precious than anything else in your life. Bring the child up with love and affection, and absolutely no fear. Nothing is more rewarding than the smile on your child's face. Children will be mischievous, curious, and will break things. It is up to us to protect the children from both mental and physical harm.

I will give you an example. In India when a toddler falls, we rush to child pick it, and, to make it quite, we slap the ground or slap the furniture that tripped the child. In Israel, when a child falls, the father/mother will stand a bit away, and encourage the child to get up and walk again. The child may cry a bit, but it will take the effort and start walking again. This simple difference has an enormous effect on the psyche of the child. In India, we grow up moaning and always blaming others for all our troubles. An Israeli will face hassles head-on and and fight.

As I had said in the other thread, you have a lifetime to hear music and watch movies. They are just DVDs and CDs. They can be stored and used later.

You have only ONE chance in life to bring your child up well. Please do not leave a mark on the child's psyche for your own personal pleasures.

Cheers

thanks Venkat sir.

I second that - my child is more precious than anything else. i was probably misunderstood.

And the example you cited was awesome - i remember mah doing it and she is gonna do it again for her grand child. Just that i like the Israel sort of bringing up a child - the sort of independent spirit that (once) i had.

But believe me my only wish is that my children respect stuff - i have had the fortune of having mischievous cousins who on their every visit to our house would break everything in sight (alamost) and though i don't miss my toys and electronics stuff much - i do miss my POP lord buddha statuette that i had carved out.

Children are like butterflies - beautiful and sometimes just need a direction of flight.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back