>20K: ONKYO? Panasonic? SONY? Gigaworks?

kaykayshah

I am looking for a HT below 20k.

My Choices are:

ONKYO S3100

Panasonic PT550

SONY DDW685

All these models are priced at 19990/-

Other option I am also looking at is Gigaworks G500 5.1Ch 300wt RMS

What do you guys suggest?

Hi Kaykay,:D

For 20K you can't go wrong with the Onkyo.
For the other two model's I don't have any idea.
I think sony has got an active subwoofer whereas the onkyo has passive.

Lets see other members viewpoints also...
Good Luck with your purchase.:)

Regards,
Sam:cool:

Hi,

First off welcome to the forum ! have pleasant time here !

I also will say Onkyo is the safest bet among the shortlisted systems !! for the simple reason that only Onkyo has a dedicated AVR in this system compared to the others ! the Sony and Panasonic both have the DVD player and Amp crammed into a single unit and are not that great !! the Creative has the Amp built into the Sub so again that not the ideal choice !! One more reason is the supplied speakers with the Onkyo,Though not path breaking and phenomenal but is very decent and a tad bit better then the others !

So please check out !!

Regards.

Hi,

Ohh Yeah Missed that one !! my mistake:p!!

But anyhow the suggestion remains the same !! coz some of the Sony entry level AVR's sounds mediocre and lacks the stuff !

Regards.

Hi,
I also just bought the onkyo 3100 on saturday in HYD e-zone.Its simply amazing for that money.
I would highly recommend for any one looking in that range.
I thanks all the members for the valuable suggestions.
Special thanks to Venkat cr.
Thanks all!!
Vj

I am looking for a HT below 20k.

My Choices are:

ONKYO S3100

Panasonic PT550

SONY DDW685

All these models are priced at 19990/-

Other option I am also looking at is Gigaworks G500 5.1Ch 300wt RMS

What do you guys suggest?

Onkyo is the way to go at that budget. Don't even bother looking at anything else and don't even consider PC speakers like Gigaworks. Dedicated HT system rocks all the way and a decision you will not regret for a long time to come!

Onkyo is a pretty good for its price. Its pretty good with movies.

But checkout the Sony AV Receiver+speaker system. Its not as balanced as the Onkyo, but offers good performance when it comes to movies.

Y not go and check out the Logitech Z-5500 speakers....i havent heard them but as per reviews online I think its quality should be better than the Onkyo speakers...

wat do the others say??

checked out onkyo(19k offer in ezone) last week ... when playing music sound was very "clinical". Was good only for movies. I would lean towards the sony for this reason ....

checked out onkyo(19k offer in ezone) last week ... when playing music sound was very "clinical". Was good only for movies. I would lean towards the sony for this reason ....

Listening to 2 channel music does suck most of the time on a 5.1 HT system. If however you are looking to graduate to 5.1 DTS in your music collection then the Onkyo is a good choice since my 5.1 DTS collection certainly rocks on it. Not sure about the Sony since I have never heard them. Did audition a 17K Sony HT system that absolutely sucked at Reliance Digital a while ago though.

Hi,

I have the Onkyo HT-SR 600 with dedicated AMP.
It is worth the money that you would be paying for this product.
If you are a movie buff then you are in for a treat, however music listening will be unsatisfactory.

The AMP is quite capable.

This Onkyo setup is great for a start and then when upgradation bug bites you, which it will, you would then be well experienced to buy a better system (Costing more though)

Take care, cheers
Aryan

Listening to 2 channel music does suck most of the time on a 5.1 HT system. If however you are looking to graduate to 5.1 DTS in your music collection then the Onkyo is a good choice since my 5.1 DTS collection certainly rocks on it. Not sure about the Sony since I have never heard them. Did audition a 17K Sony HT system that absolutely sucked at Reliance Digital a while ago though.

by 5.1 dts collection do you mean dvd audio ??? could you list down some of the albums in this ??? Are these available in India ?

by 5.1 dts collection do you mean dvd audio ??? could you list down some of the albums in this ??? Are these available in India ?

Hi maniac,

Most of the albums are d/l from the internet and burned as audio CDs. They are not DVD-Audio or SACD. Just search for DTS/5.1 in any torrent portal and I am sure you will come up with a good number of albums. I am myself on the lookout to purchase any DTS/5.1 music albums in the city of Hyderabad (where I am based presently), but have not been able to source any till now. Do let me know in case you need the links to any DTS/5.1 album. You can for starters check out this link...

Just Google instructions on burning them as audio CD and then you can run them through your DVD player connected to your HT system or a standalone CD player, but you will need a compatible HT system to play DTS files i.e. one that plays DTS/Dolby Digital which I am sure all HT systems do these days.

Give them a listen before you decide. Home Theater in a Box systems are low budget offers especially at less than 20k.

Gigaworks is a big no no.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back