2D to 3D convertors

mallikyoganand

I have seen 2D to 3D convertors which comes for about 4k. One can find many such covertors online on ebay. Are these as effective as out of the box 3d tv? Anyone has any experience with such convertors?

Do 2D to 3D convertors work?
Yes. But its just a dynamic calculation of the video which analyzes the contrast, edge detection and movements to separate them into layers for 3D viewing. I have seen LG and Samsung 3D TVs which has the feature of 2D to 3D conversion and they are not bad at all, especially for viewing sports!

Are they as good compared to original 3D source?
No. Its nothing compared to the original 3D playback which puts you right in the middle of the scene. Just as the Director intended. Also a converted video could be confusing and nauseating since the conversion algorithms may not be perfect all the time.

If you are a serious 3D fan, then this feature (2D to 3D) should not really be a game changer neither does a converter.

I am not comparing watching 2D content in 3D vs actual 3D content. I understand that 3D content has better depth than 2D content converted to 3D.
I am looking at buying 2D vs 3D TV. For example, I am in market for a 3D TV at about 1 lakh. Should I buy a 50 inch 2D TV + one convertor for 4k or buy a out of the box 3D TV (say 42/46")? Will it make sense to buy bigger non smart, non 3D tvs and buy separate smart boxes/3D convertors?

A 40 inch full HD TV from samsung/Sony will cost you about 50k. However, a fully loaded smart 3D 40 inch samsung/Sony will cost you 90k! Wont it make sense to buy a normal full HD screen and buy smart boxes/dongles and 3D convertors outside?

I am not comparing watching 2D content in 3D vs actual 3D content. I understand that 3D content has better depth than 2D content converted to 3D.
I am looking at buying 2D vs 3D TV. For example, I am in market for a 3D TV at about 1 lakh. Should I buy a 50 inch 2D TV + one convertor for 4k or buy a out of the box 3D TV (say 42/46")? Will it make sense to buy bigger non smart, non 3D tvs and buy separate smart boxes/3D convertors?

A 40 inch full HD TV from samsung/Sony will cost you about 50k. However, a fully loaded smart 3D 40 inch samsung/Sony will cost you 90k! Wont it make sense to buy a normal full HD screen and buy smart boxes/dongles and 3D convertors outside?

Agreed that you will buy a 3d converter. But if the display is just full hd and not 3d compatible, how can it display a 3d(converted from 2d) picture?
Hope I am not missing something!

Will it make sense to buy bigger non smart, non 3D tvs and buy separate smart boxes/3D convertors?

Good thought... I have no definite answer.

But is it not true that the display has to support 120Hz even for 3D converters to work? I have seen 3D converters have a compatibility list, which obviously means that it wouldn't work on all the billions of 2D TVs in this World?

I believe all TVs which can handle 120Hz can be called 3D ready. 3D converters that accepts frame sequential 3D signals will work only with 3D ready TVs and Projectors- my wild guess.

Another possible difference could be that Full 3D TVs can manage frame sequential 3D 1080p while these convertors can manage only upto 720p.

Post my projector experience of last week, I would say...buy a cheap 40 inch 720p plasma for around 30-35K. Try and import a 720p projector for 25K if you have a friend coming from US. Get a decent screen for 10K.

After watching movies on my 120 inch screen, my 50 inch plasma looks like a portable 14 inch TV now. No comparison!!

I am PJ convert now..and would saying anyone spending more than 50K on a TV is wasting his money if budget is limited

Oh yeah..then after few months once you saved few bucks..get the 3d convertor box for 5K and glasses for 5K.I have not seen a 3d movies from my projector....but if you want true 3D experience you need a big screen..even 3d on my 50incher sucks because you want picture cover your entire vision range...my two cents

You are not alone. Even I had put up my 32" LCD for sale on this forum to buy a 50 inch. But after careful thought, I decided to go with the pJ route and withdrew the sale. I am glad I did. I have vacated my living room leaving the TV in peace for the family to use and moved to a separate room.

But projector may not suit everyone. Those who cannot manage sufficiently dark room or those who don't have time and patience in setting it up, or those who watch it for long hours or those looking for a term solution without worrying about lamp life or dead pixels, 50" might still make sense.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

To OP:

You would still need 3D ready tv. All the converter does is take a 2d source and output it either as 1080px24 frame packed 3d or 720px120Hz. It cannot send 1080px120Hz. If the display is not 3D ready, it will have no way to show you 3D.

If you are looking to watch 3D on existing tv, then there is a solution called 3d-vip.com. It does take a 3d signal and send it 1080px60 (30 Hz each eye) which a normal tv won't have problem displaying. The issue though is that at 30 Hz each eye, there is a lot of flicker, causing the viewer headache. People at avs tried it, was quite a craze there for some time and after a while it died down with the reports of flicker.

Actually there is a confusion with the title of this thread and contents of it.
While subject is 2D to 3D convertors, OP refers to 3D processors which enables us to play 3D content on 2D displays or 3D ready displays to be precise

So I feel its better if stuff like Viewsonic 3D processor or Optoma 3D XL are referred as 3D adapters or 3D kits even if they can upconvert 2D content into 3D also.

Last edited:
Santy,

The first post is not so clear. But OP made it clear that he wants to see 3D content on a 2D only tv using a converter box in this post.

Yes manoj, that's what I meant. :)

It was clarified later, after my first reply.

I actually wrote in a general opinion about the confusions prevailing in many a/v forums about the nomenclature of such products which can be misleading for buyers.

I am in doubt whether you could watch 3d converted content on your full hd 2d screen or not which is not 3d ready. In regard to this I would suggest to go for any decent 3d TV instead! And after all youll remain with tight hands if you prefer HD TV over 3d TV in terms of their smart features and other 3d capabilities.
Furthermore, I guess 3d glasses would be the major issue in going with external 3d converter.

And like you said 40-inch Samsung/Sony 3D TV would cost around 90K, so here Id it depends like undoubtedly Sony is known for their picture quality however, simultaneously they are well known for their higher price tags.
So do have a look on couple of other brand models too - say LG LM series models, they are very well designed and equipped by some latest smart features in convenient price range.

Thanks Madhur. I am indeed looking to buy 47-51 LED/Plasma only. However, there are quite a few products online which work on any full HD TV. Search for 3D convertor on ebay and you will find numerous such products. All claim to work well on normal HD Ready/ Full HD TV with HDMI input. Below are some of these products (1.5k to 8k). These include 3D glasses - some give as many as 6 glasses.Economical 2D to 3D Converter Player Stream your 2D Content in 3D | eBay
Premium Cellnorth Video Wizard 2D to 3D Converter Player, Popular US Product | eBay
Lenkeng Lkv223 2D to 3D Video Converter Adapter | eBay

I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with such products. If yes, how do they perform compared to out of the box 3D tvs.

I know that costlier the TV, better the PQ and features. But for example, I am a Samsung guy. I want to buy a Samsung TV and want 3D and all "smart" features. I can buy a 7/8 series TV @ 1.5 lakhs. Else, I can buy a 5 series TV for say 75-80k. I will buy a quad core processor Android TV drive(4-5k) and 3D convertor (like above for 3-4k). I get a better smart TV (better simply because you still get dual core processors only in top end TVs as of now) and maybe slightly inferior PQ. But I am saving shit load of money.

Few points:
- All the converters you posted here seem to be based on Anaglyph 3D which needs those red-cyan glasses.
- Anaglyph 3D is the cheapest (or zero cost) format of 3D and definitely not impressive. Makes the picture too dark and distort the colors.
- They fall flat compared to the stereo 3D which uses active shutter or polarised glasses.
- To watch anaglyph 3d, you just need these glasses which costs Rs. 150, provided the video you are watching is rendered in anaglyph 3d/ search in youtube!
- What these converters do is they use some algorithm and create anaglyph 3d content dynamically from any 2D source material.
- If you have patience, there are softwares which can convert 2D movies into 3D anaglyph.
- These convertors can take 3D input but by pass them in case you have 3D setup
- This is one convertor from Optoma which actually accepts 3D content and gives true 3D on your 3D ready DLP TV or projector

To watch original 3D movies, you need a display which supports atleast 120 Hz input. Only then a convertor would make come into picture. But not many such HDTVs are in production now, I guess.

Experts can correct me if I am wrong.. I am also learning. :cool:

To watch original 3D movies, you need a display which supports atleast 120 Hz input. Only then a convertor would make come into picture. But not many such HDTVs are in production now, I guess.

Experts can correct me if I am wrong.. I am also learning. :cool:

Good info Santy.
At least 120 Hz input mean refresh rate should be 120 Hz or more? My 2009 LG LED model also has 240 Hz refresh rate. Most of medium to high end TVs currently should be 120 Hz+ anyways. Correct me if I am wrong.

Good info Santy.
At least 120 Hz input mean refresh rate should be 120 Hz or more? My 2009 LG LED model also has 240 Hz refresh rate. Most of medium to high end TVs currently should be 120 Hz+ anyways. Correct me if I am wrong.

There is little more to it.

First - the display should accept 720px 120 Hz.
Then it should show it strictly at 1080p x 120 Hz with no processing whatsover. If its doing framer interpolation or any other stuff to get 120 Hz, its no good at all.

Most TV's that do 120 Hz or 240 Hz are all frame interpolation derived from 24 Hz or 30 Hz footage. You definitely don't want that for 3D as it will mess up the picture as its outputted by the source player.

Manoj has put it rightly. Many flat TVs including those Plasmas which have 600 hz "sub field drive" are actually accepting 60 hz signal and interpolating them into 120hz or more. They are NOT 3D ready unless specified so.

TVs and monitors which can accept true 120 hz have also built into them their 3D mechanism nowadays, making them fully 3D and they ship with their own glasses. Maybe the cost difference between making a 3D ready TV which can display 3D@ 1080p and Full 3D TV has diminished these days or it simply makes no sense to manufacture them. "3D ready" is dead according to me in TV segment.

So if you want to enjoy true 3 D, you ought to buy a 3D TV. And yes, they are expensive.;) You may be interested in 3D projectors, a good number of models are much cheaper than 3D TVs and they are a lot lot lot bigger :D

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back