'3 Idiots' (BIG) *BEWARE* of buying this Blu-ray.

sanjay0864

BEWARE: Do not buy this blu-ray. 'BIG Home Video' needs to recall this blu-ray immediately due to major authoring issues.

Considering the importance of this title, probably the most eagerly awaited and most prestigious bollywood blu-ray to be released so far, stating that this blu-ray is a dissapointment would be grossly understating the magnitude of this disaster. How can 'BIG Home Video' and the 'authoring company' have screwed up this blu-ray so much, is beyond my comprehension. Does no one at these companies even bother to view a check disk before sending it for replication? How 'BIG Home Video' has treated their most successful title, both commercially and critically, with such disdain and callousness is totally unforgiveable. What makes this even more surprising and even shocking is that this title features Aamir Khan, who generally is known to very actively and personally overlook the video releases of his movies. Although, it could be that this not being his own production, he may not have had much say or participation in this blu-ray release. But then again, both Raju Hirani and Vidhu Vinod Chopra are not the typical bollywood director/producer who one would expect to not be involved in anything related to their movie.

The audio/video quality of the blu-ray is dissapointing, but it is the authoring issues that are absolutely shocking. None of the options, other than 'Main Menu', in the pop-up menus work. Also, from the 'Main Menu', if you go into any of the sub menus, Chapters/Songs/Setup, not only are you not able to select any option, but you also cannot even go back to the main menu, or play the movie. Your only option is to press 'stop' and start all over again. To make matters worse, in what can only be termed as totally regressive, 'Digital Entertainment' has decided to revert back to the practise of making DD 5.1, in the DVD standard 448 kbps, as the default audio. Luckily one can switch to the DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio track with the 'Audio' button on the remote, but not before having to skip thru another totally regressive option, that of PCM 2.0 audio. The authoring screw ups are so major that it almost leads me to believe as if the project has been sabotaged and the problems created on purpose. Bottom line is, that this is the most poorly authored blu-ray to have been released so far.

PS: I have played the disc in two seperate blu-ray players, a PS3 and the Oppo BDP-83, to confirm that the menu issues are actually authoring problems.

Last edited:
In our country its very hard to find a well mastered DVD or even an Audio CD so expecting some wonder from Blu Ray Discs is out of question.Most Blu Ray of Indian Films are much below the standard expected from HD Quality. May be we will have to wait for few years more to get good quality HD Masters of Indian Films.

Just a curious question - is there a way to find the details such as Audio/Video information from the back cover of a Blu-ray since I have a few tamil movies which are upscaled to 720p but the covers show otherwise. Though got these movie in grey market for a cheap price.

I was planning to buy Silsila and Jodha Akbar from Landmark but decided against till I knew it was a good print. Both these titles are coincidentally from "Big Entertainment". Knowing that Silsila time there were no HD, the authoring had to make sure they digitally remaster the print.

I would not rely on details printed on Indian blu-ray covers. More often than not the information is not reliable.

Silsila is a Yash Raj Films title and not a BIG Home Video title. In any case, the Silsila blu-ray is of atrocious quality and I would recommend staying away from it. The 'BIG Home Video' blu-ray of Jodhaa Akbar, on the other hand is of reasonable quality.

By the way, regarding there being no HD during Silsila's time. All movies were shot on film (35mm), which by the way has a far higher resolution than HD (1920 x 1080).

For more information and reviews of Indian blu-rays check out Zulm.net

Why the movie name should be "3 Idiots" and why the 3 actors alone can be called with such title. Let us make the buyers also "Idiot" that may be the true intention of Big.:lol:

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back