300 amazing tweaks for an audiophile...

Hi theironhorse

Thank you..............

U might not believe - I was just thinking today morning only to strat a thred on this asking everyone about tweaks . And was thinking if a ready compilation is already available -and you did it .

Many thanks again - hope other memebers will put further inputs

Cheers
Pratim

welcome pratim.. i as looking forward for tweaks and tips that will cost less or nothing at all that every one can try to acheive audio nirvana...

just my attempt.. i will try to keep it add more as and when i get.. rest i am not that good as our gurus.. still a rookie..

Nice thread, we could add tweaks that people have done to add more relvance.

Some of the tweaks mentioned the use of marble slab as a damping mechanism. Would a granite slab be a better option. I would think marble being a soft stone would not be as good as granite, any views?

Tweaks which I have put into practise and are now de rigueur for me.
Speakers in front of the short wall,firing down the length of the room.
15% from side walls and 70% between the two speakers.
Minmum 3 feet from back wall.Ideally distance from back wall should be 25% to 30% of the total length of the room.
With the speakers as the first two points of the triangle,the listening position should be the third point.
For a distance of 8 feet between the speakers,listening position should be 8 feet at low volume,10 feet at moderate volume and 12 feet at high volume.
Small carpet at the center point between the speakers and listening position.
Diffuse first side wall reflections by placing some object/diffusion panel at the centre point between speakers and listening position on the side walls.
Potted plants behind the speakers in the two corners to break standing waves.
Thick curtains on windows.Minimum glass in the room.All glass tops should be covered.
Decent,stable,wooden rack.No glass.
Decent IC's and speaker cables.Minimum:Entry level Chord/QED.Hifimart!:)
One or two reference CD's,with good recordings and heavy bass for speaker placement.
Gently toe in speakers until the vocals seem to be coming from a center point,a few feet behind the speakers.
Toe in would have to be related to the distance from back wall and the distance between the speakers.Too much would smear the image,too less would thin it out.
Ideally,the music should not seem to be coming from the speakers,but from the entire wall behind the speakers.
Avoid speakers,recordings and placements which throw poison darts of bright treble and gobs of flatulent bass at you.:)
Tweaking should be a rare exercise.Doing it too often would ruin the pleasure of listening to music.
Wine is better with music than whisky or beer.:)
And the most important tweak.
LIGHTS OFF!
Music is meant to be heard in the dark.
Alone.
Or with a companion equally sympathetic to music.
NEVER with a philistine who is indifferent to music.
I KNOW with complete certainty,that a person who is indifferent to music is capable of the most inhumane acts.

Last edited:
Also mods as we have more members giving more inputs , i would request our mods to rename the thread as " tweaks for an audiophile "

Based on personal experience, I can vouch for the improvement that I got by implementing the points in BOLD, from time to time.

Tweaks which I have put into practise and are now de rigueur for me.
Speakers in front of the short wall,firing down the length of the room.15% from side walls and 70% between the two speakers.
Minmum 3 feet from back wall.Ideally distance from back wall should be 25% to 30% of the total length of the room.
With the speakers as the first two points of the triangle,the listening position should be the third point.
For a distance of 8 feet between the speakers,listening position should be 8 feet at low volume,10 feet at moderate volume and 12 feet at high volume.
Small carpet at the center point between the speakers and listening position.
Diffuse first side wall reflections by placing some object/diffusion panel at the centre point between speakers and listening position on the side walls.
Potted plants behind the speakers in the two corners to break standing waves.
Thick curtains on windows.Minimum glass in the room.All glass tops should be covered.
Decent,stable,wooden rack.No glass.
Decent IC's and speaker cables.Minimum:Entry level Chord/QED.Hifimart!:)
One or two reference CD's,with good recordings and heavy bass for speaker placement.
Gently toe in speakers until the vocals seem to be coming from a center point,a few feet behind the speakers.
Toe in would have to be related to the distance from back wall and the distance between the speakers.Too much would smear the image,too less would thin it out.
Ideally,the music should not seem to be coming from the speakers,but from the entire wall behind the speakers.
Avoid speakers,recordings and placements which throw poison darts of bright treble and gobs of flatulent bass at you.:)
Tweaking should be a rare exercise.Doing it too often would ruin the pleasure of listening to music.
LIGHTS OFF!
Alone.
Or with a companion equally sympathetic to music.
NEVER with a philistine who is indifferent to music.
I KNOW with complete certainty,that a person who is indifferent to music is capable of the most inhumane acts.

The finishing touch to any audio tweak,IMO,should be to play some 20th century,orchestral music like Mahler,Messiaen,Stravinsky or Bela Bartok.
This is the only music which will take your HiFi gear by the scruff of it's neck and give it a thorough shake up.It would reveal the dynamics and prat of your system,like no other music can.
Something like this music
YouTube - Bla Bartk - (5/5) Concerto for Orchestra Sz. 116 - V. Finale (LA Philharmonic, Mehta)

For Zubin Mehta to break into the inner citadel of western culture is a major achievement!

Last edited:
LIGHTS OFF!
Alone.

Could'nt agree with you more on listening with lights out....My mid fi syste sounds like a very expensive hifi system with the lights out and some wine....

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back