32-42'' HDTV buying help

arjun

hi guys!

let me first congratulate the mods and the experts here who help out noobs like me, who dont have much knowledge of AV Equipment.

I have been on the forum for about a month now, only browsing through threads and trying to make up my mind on one tv to another and another and so on!

It was important for me to post, maybe an already asked question here since my requirements of a HDTV have not been completely addressed in any post i saw.

pardon my ignorance, if any!!:)

MY QUESTION (detailed, since it must be understood what my mindset is when im asking this):
i was earlier looking at LED's (32''), since it was the "in-thing" and so called latest technology. after going through a lot of posts in this forum, i switched to an LCD and finally a Plasma.

I auditioned LG plasma 42'' and found it much better in comparison to the LG LCD's and LED's on display wrt the PQ. Moreover, it was quoted for 2k less than the 32'' LED. i mean 10'' extra for a lesser price is amazing right.

my requirements/expectations/use from a TV:
  1. SD Tata Sky Television
  2. SD/HD DVD's (im not a videophile so i dont need a top end model)
  3. PS2/PS3 (to be purchased in the near future)
  4. wifi is not mandatory, but if i can stream youtube directly on my tv, it would be an added advantage
  5. no 3d
  6. no blurring
  7. no fading of PQ in a few years
  8. maintainance free

my budget is 35k-40k (delhi) for either a 32'' LCD or 42'' plasma.

now my query.. after reading a lot of posts, i settled for the 42x30, which almost everyone in the forum has been raving about. i was just about to buy it, when someone who i told about my almost-purchase said "Plasma?? aah..thats old technology.. it looses gas and your tv will go kaput in a year or two!"
well i know that is not true after being here on the forum, yet I would need some detailed help on my purchase, keeping in mind my abovementioned requirements and budget.

so lets first settle whether it would be a LCD, LED or Plasma, before I bombard the forum with my specific questions about that particular type and model of tv.:sos:

Madhav: yea.my reaction was similar.

Htpro: there s no sunlight in the room. Only a lamp right above where the tv is planned to be mounted.yet not uncontrollable.

more suggestions/comments welcome

Panasonic 42X30d and Samsung 43D490 are good 3d plasma models available for 35-38k i guess or even less now(contact our forum member prankey for best pricing).

But both have 1024*768 resolution which is not full hd, so you have to be prepared for that. But still both have very good 2d and 3d pq and recommended.

If you want full hd then go for 40inch Samsung 40D550 or 40D503 2D LCD TV with good PQ and available for around 40-43k.

ok lets say we increase the budget a bit.

i have just returned from the showroom. :D

i am now comparing samsung ps43d490 and ua32d6000sr.

the difference in size is obviously due to the similar price, which is my maxxx budget.

im looking at buying the tv asap, so help needed!!

ok lets say we increase the budget a bit.

i have just returned from the showroom. :D

i am now comparing samsung ps43d490 and ua32d6000sr.

the difference in size is obviously due to the similar price, which is my maxxx budget.

im looking at buying the tv asap, so help needed!!

43d490 anyday :) 3d on a 32 inch screen is next to useless unless you use it like a pc monitor right in front of it.

43d490 should be the right answer i mean why do u wnt to settle for a small screen if you are getting a bigger one for a less price.....i was ok to spend a couple of hundred rs as current charge for a bigger screen than paying a premium amount for led..

Last edited:
even im of the opinion that for about 5k extra im getting:
(in sammy 43d490----over panny 42x30)
1. 1'' more
2. more usb format options
3. a thinner tv with better looks
4. 2 free 3d glasses
5. and and and .. a samsung!

but, the forum and most of the salesman opine that panny is the BEST when it comes to plasma's. what i dont understand is how? if there is any perceptible difference in the pq of panny 42x30 and sammy 43d490, i would chose the former, but if its only a 19-20 diff, sammy gives u more bang for the buck!

whatsay ppl?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back