32 inch LCD - PC input

sreenisatish

I have been away from the LCD market for quite a while, but I wanna buy a 32 inch LCD.

Usage:
I will be using a PC as the input and connecting the PC to the TV via a DVI-HDMI cable. I have a NVidia 8800GT card in the PC.
I will be using the TV for HD movies - both 720p and 1080p - as long as 1080p is properly scaled, I would be fine with even a HD ready TV. I would watch SD movies encoded in XVid/Divx too.
I will be doing some amount of gaming too. NO TV watching for now - that doesn't mean I wont do it in the future :)

Will Panasonic 32LX800 be a good choice? How does LX800 compare to LE8/LX80?

A few more questions:
If I am connecting using DVI-HDMI cable, will my Graphics card be able to support the native resolution of the TV (1,366 x 768 for 720p)?
Will the aspect ratio be maintained or will things look out of proportion?

I have been away from the LCD market for quite a while, but I wanna buy a 32 inch LCD.

Usage:
I will be using a PC as the input and connecting the PC to the TV via a DVI-HDMI cable. I have a NVidia 8800GT card in the PC.
I will be using the TV for HD movies - both 720p and 1080p - as long as 1080p is properly scaled, I would be fine with even a HD ready TV. I would watch SD movies encoded in XVid/Divx too.
I will be doing some amount of gaming too. NO TV watching for now - that doesn't mean I wont do it in the future :)

Will Panasonic 32LX800 be a good choice? How does LX800 compare to LE8/LX80?

A few more questions:
If I am connecting using DVI-HDMI cable, will my Graphics card be able to support the native resolution of the TV (1,366 x 768 for 720p)?
Will the aspect ratio be maintained or will things look out of proportion?

LX800 is a good TV as hold its own against even the sony v550 which is nearly 9k more than that and its 100 hz unlike le8, lx80. PQ is great and IMHO is better than the sharp. LG Jazz (even match but the LG loses out on colour calibration), Sony V550 (even but more expensive), samsung b530. sony s series etc.

Yes for HMDI use can use the resolution of 1920x1080 i.e. 1080p and the TV even if its HD ready will scale it t its native resolution.

Now coming back - if you are going to use the TV for basic computing like surfing etc look away from the panasonic pv8, pv80, le8, lx800, lx800 - the text rendition is average - LG, Sony scores here. In case of gaming, movies and SD TV viewing Panny HD ready TVs are behemoths anyday

well if ur are going to use it has a monitor,which may mean that u proabably sit close u can go for the sony V550A series it is 1080p,its uses a AMVA panel which has a higher ANSI contrast ratio,better shadow details compared to ips based tvs such as panasonic.
neverthless panasonic LX800 is a great choice in terms of VFM.

@suprateep
Thanks a lot for the inputs. How does LX800 compare to LE8/LX80?

@reju
Budget is a little low :( Recession na!

@adder
Thanks, but I will be sitting far from the TV. The TV will be only for movies/gaming. Normal work like surfing will be done on my existing 19 inch monitor.

I got a price quote of 30000 for the Panny LX800. Is it a good deal? Or should I bargain for less? How much is the street price for Sony V550A (I see the MRP is about 51K)?

@suprateep
I got a price quote of 30000 for the Panny LX800. Is it a good deal? Or should I bargain for less? How much is the street price for Sony V550A (I see the MRP is about 51K)?

are u sure thats the quote of lx800 not lx80,the difference is that the lx800 has the 100hz which isn't required for gaming since it increases the input lag.

lx 800 is going for around 41k
lx8 30k or whereabouts even lesser
sony v550 49.9k - anything less - something is frigging wrong as dealerships are being pulled up if they give a discount that is more than what is allowed by sony.

BTW if the TV is to be used for normal TV viewing or gaming -the lx8 is a good choice..........sony vv50 is recommend when used as a monitor. For an all in solution the lg jazz is good - compare side by side between sony v550, lg jazz full hd and pana lx80/800 before buying. (note lg jazz is the only lg i recommend):licklips:

sony v550 49.9k - anything less - something is frigging wrong as dealerships are being pulled up if they give a discount that is more than what is allowed by sony.

True as far as 3rd party dealers like eZone/ Croma etc., are concerned.
But go to Sony World. They themselves sell it for 48K.
I always buy from Sony World. Got so many good deals for my friends...

True as far as 3rd party dealers like eZone/ Croma etc., are concerned.
But go to Sony World. They themselves sell it for 48K.
I always buy from Sony World. Got so many good deals for my friends...

man my friend checked 2 sony world's on friday - quote of 49.9k st both places - same as chroma and vijay sales. Maybe its cheaper in mumbai then

lx 800 is going for around 41k
lx8 30k or whereabouts even lesser

BTW if the TV is to be used for normal TV viewing or gaming -the lx8 is a good choice..........sony vv50 is recommend when used as a monitor. For an all in solution the lg jazz is good - compare side by side between sony v550, lg jazz full hd and pana lx80/800 before buying. (note lg jazz is the only lg i recommend):licklips:

can i ask why do you recommend lg jazz model only?

can i ask why do you recommend lg jazz model only?

because its has lesser artifacts than the ealier models i.e. scarlet, 53 series etc.

Colour is natural unlike LG where it emphasizes reds a lot. Black levels are good and can be fixed unlike some other TVs which do not give so much customization. Plus its cheaper. And an overall good package. In fact when used as a computer monitor it excels.

Let me remind u bud that Vijay Sales guy was not able to get LG to run with the laptop and he tried it on 2 Jazz TVs

be humble man - even so called experts need to learn on a constant basis - just because the driver or the port of the hdmi cable was not workign - does nto mean the TV is bad. Might be the older drivers could not recognize the TV (you do understand laptop manufacturers often bundle 6-8 month old drivers along with their HW)

Just because you have not seen God - does not imply there is no GOD right buddy? :indifferent14:

Play the same clip on 3 TVs and decide - if you pay 10k is 20% over the normal price and get 5% difference (remember when you use the v550 for extended periods as a PC monitor you will turn down the contrast levels - so why pay more for somethign you don't use and thats 20% of your budget) Save the 10k and get the wharfdale 9.1/9.2

Do the math right dost - something you save can go into the purchase of something else:eek:hyeah:

Play the same clip on 3 TVs and decide - if you pay 10k is 20% over the normal price and get 5% difference (remember when you use the v550 for extended periods as a PC monitor you will turn down the contrast levels - so why pay more for somethign you don't use and thats 20% of your budget) Save the 10k and get the wharfdale 9.1/9.2

well why pay so much for pioneer kuro even that just has a small edge in performance,why pay so much in speakers for that extra bit of detail.

why would some one tone down the contrast,when in pc mode?btw in pc mode when u go to text mode in tvs the contrast is actually by default put to high level,so that text can be seen with ease.

well why pay so much for pioneer kuro even that just has a small edge in performance,why pay so much in speakers for that extra bit of detail.

why would some one tone down the contrast,when in pc mode?btw in pc mode when u go to text mode in tvs the contrast is actually by default put to high level,so that text can be seen with ease.

adder bhai you must have Gods eyes if you let the monitor stay at the highest contrast and high brightness levels (when you view the monitor during surfing, working on word or excel) or your monitor levels may be downright low. An dif the monitor is fine and you let your monitor levels stay at highest levels (like in the showroom people do) of contrast and brightness and sometimes even colour - man you would be visiting an ophthalmologist soon.Might I recommend one???:eek:hyeah:

And do not go even to the pioneer - my friend manair actually had mistaken the pioneer 50" hd ready to be full HD when he had seen a clip of Iron man BRRIp on that. You cannot compare the pioneer with a Sony v series - then again a top line 50" x series almost cost as much as the pioneer 50" plasma. And pioneer does not even advertise motion plus etc like sony does:indifferent14:

Anywy there will always be takers for sony's panasonics, samsung and lg's - so why get into this - i for one am getting out of this.

Actually LG was recognised but it had scaling issues(overscan) and just like Panny text wasn't clear.

overscan and underscan is more of a PC driver issue buddy - all drivers from ATI/NVIDIA had it - the recent ones have many TVs covered - i had personally seen a Jazz 42" connected via HDMI looking beautiful when connected with a HP laptop through a HDMI cable - no overscan or underscan - pristine output with text looking gorgeous.

adder bhai you must have Gods eyes if you let the monitor stay at the highest contrast and high brightness levels (when you view the monitor during surfing, working on word or excel) or your monitor levels may be downright low. An dif the monitor is fine and you let your monitor levels stay at highest levels (like in the showroom people do) of contrast and brightness and sometimes even colour - man you would be visiting an ophthalmologist soon.Might I recommend one???:eek:hyeah:

well i don't crank up the brightness,only the contrast and i have been watching with contrast set to high from well over 10 years,at the same time the brightness is set usualy to very low,so it doesn't affect the eye.
in showrooms they crank up backlight which is different from contrast.

And do not go even to the pioneer - my friend manair actually had mistaken the pioneer 50" hd ready to be full HD when he had seen a clip of Iron man BRRIp on that. You cannot compare the pioneer with a Sony v series - then again a top line 50" x series almost cost as much as the pioneer 50" plasma. And pioneer does not even advertise motion plus etc like sony does:indifferent14:

Anywy there will always be takers for sony's panasonics, samsung and lg's - so why get into this - i for one am getting out of this.

well i am not comparing a pioneer to sony V series,what i am saying is that people are willing to pay for that extra bit of performance.
well a company as to advertize things such as motion plus ,otherwise how will people know what it is,if a company does not advertize about about LED backlight how will people know,not all are prepared to go read the manual or white papers.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back