32" Lcd Tv ..

SuhasG

Hi,

I am interested in 32 " LCD TV. I saw Hitachi, SONY, Samsung etc. Likeed the Hitachi. Does anybody had it? Please share your experiences.

Go for the Sony Bravio. The grey market price for the 32" is around 70K!

If you are willing to wait for another year you can expect prices to fall to 35K.

Go for the Sony Bravio. The grey market price for the 32" is around 70K!

If you are willing to wait for another year you can expect prices to fall to 35K.

Thanks, I checked those SONY Bravios( 32" 105K) . In fact I did a side-by-side comparison between SONY and HITACHI and found HITACHI better than SONY.

In showrooms they play some HD software so everything looks stunningly beautiful but in reality we won't be getting that kind of signal transmission (HDTV) in the near future. HDTV in India is far away; even a developed country such as Singapore got it just recently. So mostly, for next 5+ years , we will be watching standard Definition served by our DishWallah or Dish TV.

For DVD playback it is Okay but then most households watch hardly 1 or 2 DVDs per week and rest of viewing is normal TV shows.

In India we have standard definition transmission (4:3 format) and while LCD TVs native aspect ratio is 16:1 wide screen format. And this is the real problem!

When connected to a source with a Standard definition 4:3 format, the picture gets stretched in horizontal direction and compressed in vertical direction in order to fit into 16:1 format. That distorts the picture and looks horrible.

One can change the aspect ratio of the TV but then black strips appears at left and right side of the screen and thus effectively reducing the screen real estate and then your 32" TV becomes a 26" TV!

All LCD TVs do some adjustments to the 4:3 format signals and in this department Hitachi is far better than SONY and Samsung! I watched both SONY and HITACHI side by side, showing the same 4:3 format TV channel and there with HITACHI the 'stretching' effect I mentioned earlier was bearable while SONY was just horrible.

I am Okay with the HITACHI price (32" LCD around 90K) but concerned about After sales support, as no regular TV showroom in Pune has this brand displayed / sold. Only some hi-fi dealers (AV) offer this brand.

Why dont you try philips? It has decent service setup country wide + there pixel plus 2 with amblight is damn good.

Why dont you try philips? It has decent service setup country wide + there pixel plus 2 with amblight is damn good.

Good suggestion. I had some bad experience with Philips products and service in the past. So I am rather reluctant to try Philips brand one more time.

I agree,They normaly never stock spares of there highend products. But any company with there world class products is yet to deliver on service.The less said about anyone the better. But if you buy from a good dealer his support could help.But in the end it all up to your luck.

you are correct, even if you can buy spending so much, cannot dream of getting that kind of tv transmission here, for the next 20 years to come. today i saw the demo of the sony bravio. they were running a hd video film. it was so sharp and clear. i saw a cliping about a mountain and water fall.for a moment i felt cursing my existence as a human here. what to do.

for the amount of money you are prepared to spend, waiting for so many years that kind of facility to come to india is a mere waste of precious life time, especially youthful years. i think there are two alternatives to solve this problem.;)

1. introduce highdefn.tv broadcast yourself by pumping so much money into it.

2. migrate to south korea/japan and start watching this HDTV 24.7.:rolleyes:

i think migrating to south korea/japan will be cheaper. believe me, from my neighbourhood, i met a fellow from Tirunelveli who has secured his BE from one of the mushroom engineering colleges. he struggled hard even to get a job in computer showroom for 1.2k.

at mahabalipuram he met a jap.guy. and now he is completing 5th month service in Japan. :cool:

wish you good luck.

stpmds

NB: dont ask me if he is watching HDTV 24.7 there now.!!
May be he is missing the SUNTV Tamil channel and craves for it.

Last edited:
I bought a Sony 32" LCD TV in March and discovered within a week that were light patches on the corners of the screen which were very prominent while viewing any material that had dark backgrounds (eg the numerous night-time scenes in a movie like "Signs").

I did some checking on the net and found this was a problem reported with Sony's Bravia series of TVs in several countries, including the US and Australia. I got in touch with Sony's customer care section and asked for a replacement set, failing which I said I would approach the local consumer court. I also brought to their attention all the material available on the net regarding the problem with the Bravia TVs.

Two Sony engineers who visited my home initially tried to spend hours explaining to me that there was nothing wrong with my TV. I put my foot down and insisted on a replacement. As I am a journalist, I also took up the matter with people in Sony at a higher level.

Imagine my surprise when Sony decided a few days later not to replace the TV but to REFUND my money -- something I had not even asked for. Just confirmed my suspicion that there is something seriously wrong with the Bravia series.

I am now a happy owner of a Samsung 32" LCD TV. Its controls are not as sophisticated as that of the Sony, but at least it doesn't have the patches and is about Rs 7,000 cheaper.

Checked the Samsung LA32R81 yesterday.It's available for 49k in Pune>has a whooping 8000:1 DCR.The black levels were excellent.Seems to be a good buy.

It is too late for me. I didn't check the net before I decide. I bought Sony 32" from Singapore. Hoping Sony brand value, I went for the option without warrenty. Within a week's time there is a solid vertical green line appears from top to bottom of the screen near right hand side. I am helpless. I don't have warrenty card. So I checked with Sony service center for repair, they gave me a estimate of Rs. 41,000. I decided to live with the line. Instead of spending Rs.41000 for repair the failure model, I can happily be the owner of Samsung with is much lesser than 38 K. Any how let other people can learn from it.

does ne company have full HD spec 32 inch screen....

have been lookin around a lot and no one seems to carry the hull HD tag for the 32 incehrs.....

Guys,

our views and experiences helped me alot for chosing the right TV. Yesterday I bought new Full HD Samsung LCD TV (M8 series). Hope it works well in future.

Shawn

Guys,

our views and experiences helped me alot for chosing the right TV. Yesterday I bought new Full HD Samsung LCD TV (M8 series). Hope it works well in future.

Shawn

congratulations on u latest gadget....

what screen size and how much u paid for this beauty??

Re: 46" Lcd Tv ..

Shamps,

I took the risk of taking 46 inches, the biggest possible, little out of my budget. Its 1.47L with tata sky. I got the consumer loan from citifinancial, with 10% money back offer after paying 4 EMIs. Its 0 interest rate and no processing charges.

Shawn:)

congratulations on u latest gadget....

what screen size and how much u paid for this beauty??

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back