32" LCD Vs 42" Plasma - Need advise

anandbj76

Hi All,

I am about to buy a new TV to be used in my drawing room. I am confused as to should I buy an LCD or a Plasma. I am aware that there are many threads that have elaborated the difference in technologies etc; however I am not sure whether my below questions are addressed in those. Can you please help ?

1. My room size is not very large. The actual viewing distance would be anywhere between 8 ft to 10 ft. Will a plasma of 42" be too large for the room? What should be the ideal watching distance for a plasma? For LCD I think, it needs to be 3 times the size of tv. i.e. for 32" tv, anything more than 8 -9 feet would be good.

2. I have read that there is some 'permanent burns' i.e. scaring kind of effects for plasmas - if the same picture is displayed for a long while.
May sound weird - but my kid plays lots of games on tata sky (active wizkids etc) and major portion of the picture there does not change every minute / second.

3. What is the approx. power consumption of a plasma ? Is is quite higher than that of LCD?
The question is arising particularly because - it would make a lot of difference when power goes off and you are running the TV on an inverter....
Again - I don't have the power consumption numbers here, but LCDs would take about 150 - 170W. Plasmas - not sure...

4. I may be wrong in saying this as I am not an expert on these matters - I have heard that majority of the companies are focusing their efforts in developing new things in LCDs, and this might mean plasmas would some day be obsolete.

Thanks in advance for inputs / pointers!!!

Anand, perhaps you didn't read the forums thoroughly enough as these questions have been answered a number of times, but here goes:

1. My room size is not very large. The actual viewing distance would be anywhere between 8 ft to 10 ft. Will a plasma of 42" be too large for the room? What should be the ideal watching distance for a plasma? For LCD I think, it needs to be 3 times the size of tv. i.e. for 32" tv, anything more than 8 -9 feet would be good.

8 feet is perfect for a 42" HD Ready Plasma, with a 42" Full HD plasma, you can get even closer. This is as per the THX devised formula.

2. I have read that there is some 'permanent burns' i.e. scaring kind of effects for plasmas - if the same picture is displayed for a long while.
May sound weird - but my kid plays lots of games on tata sky (active wizkids etc) and major portion of the picture there does not change every minute / second.

there are two things, temrporary image retention, and burn-in. TIR happens on all plasmas, but goes away after some time, and is usually not an issue. permanent burn-in is very rare on modern plasmas. If there is going to be a lot of games played, and static images displayed, an LCD would be a better idea.

3. What is the approx. power consumption of a plasma ? Is is quite higher than that of LCD?
The question is arising particularly because - it would make a lot of difference when power goes off and you are running the TV on an inverter....
Again - I don't have the power consumption numbers here, but LCDs would take about 150 - 170W. Plasmas - not sure...

Older Plasmas were 300-400 watts. The latest generation plasmas are I believe in the 250 watts area. Yes, plasmas consume more power than LCDs.

4. I may be wrong in saying this as I am not an expert on these matters - I have heard that majority of the companies are focusing their efforts in developing new things in LCDs, and this might mean plasmas would some day be obsolete.

LCDs have a much larger market now, but it's going to be some time when Plasmas get "obsolete". Plasmas still offer better value than LCDs at several price points. You can buy a plasma from Samsung, Panasonic or LG without any fear in this regard. Anyhow how does "obsolete" matter, this is not a computer right? If it's giving you good pictures now, it'll still be giving you good pictures 3 years down the line. And let me also dismiss the bullshit about plasmas having a shorter life and needing gas to be refilled, these are both bullshit as well. Plasma panels now have a half-life (where it dims to half brightness) of close to 10 years of continuous use, yes if you keep it switched on for 10 years continuously, then it'll dim to its half brightness.

I urge you to read the threads on televisions in more details and many more of your questions will be answered in these threads.

Hi.
Sorry to say LCD 42"" = 400W+ add another 40w to plasma 42""=480W ha ha this is by western standards here the sales guy will say 60w max. This is only the drawback of pannels. LED tvs are LCDs only they have leds for lighting the pannel and more life.:indifferent14: anyway who is going to live for watching 60,000 hrs of tv(LCD/Plasma) add 20.000hrs to LED= 80,000hrs?? Have a I on 2012.??? and for size always biger is the better go for 42"" LCD:D

Mods,

Can we stop noobs from giving wrong information to prospective buyers?

This guy has been writing the same wrong figures throughout the forum and probably with different names.

You can refer the above post.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back