42" LCD / Plasma

afj

i've currently got a 42 inch sunsui plasma tv. imo the plasma picture quality is more natural than the lcd and i prefer it. but 3 years into the tv its got 'burn in'. the cartoon network channel's logo that my son watches is etched in. apart from that there are bright spots all over the tv. so i need to change

i would rather have a plasma but definitely not keen on having to change every 3 years. so am also open to an LCD

am not too clued up with the technicalities of a hdtv (im more into audio). could someone help me with which way to go.

Your location? Budget? Preferances?

live in botswana - country bordering south africa. dont want to spend too much (like i said im not into video that much). decent brand / decent pic quality. i think prices are slightly higher than india. budget upto 65000 rupees (for that price you get a LG LH35 here)

live in botswana - country bordering south africa. dont want to spend too much (like i said im not into video that much). decent brand / decent pic quality. i think prices are slightly higher than india. budget upto 65000 rupees (for that price you get a LG LH35 here)

well u can say us what are the brands available in botswana.
as far as lcds todays lcds have improved many fold,at the same time plasma burn has reduced significantly.

well u can say us what are the brands available in botswana.
as far as lcds todays lcds have improved many fold,at the same time plasma burn has reduced significantly.

you get the general brands here - samsung, lg, sony, sansui. dont really see too much of panasonic here

you get the general brands here - samsung, lg, sony, sansui. dont really see too much of panasonic here

well in that case check out sony S550A/V550A in samsung lcds B530/550.they offer the same black levels of most plasma but can show much brighter images if the need arises.if u have bright room suggest u to go with the sony with their semi matte screens which offers less glare then plasmas and samsung glossy screens

in lg plasmas u check out the PQ30 .samsung plasmas are more prone to image retention compared to the panasonic plasmas,but they do have better image processing compared to panasonic and samsung have tad more shadow detail compared to the lgs,but not as good as the panasonic models.

been reading on the net that theres been quite a reduction in burn in on plasmas and also that the longevity of a plasma and an lcd is pretty much the same at 60000 hours. comments???

been reading on the net that theres been quite a reduction in burn in on plasmas and also that the longevity of a plasma and an lcd is pretty much the same at 60000 hours. comments???

well its true that burn is reduced by a large margin,however all plasmas outhere is still prone to image retention although its temporary neverthless its still annoying.

yeah, the burn-in possibilities have been reduced significantly, and you need to really do something exceptional to experience burn-in but temporary image retention is still an issue, although it's more of a minor irritant.

If you're looking for LCDs Samsung and Sony remain your best options, and for plasmas samsung and panasonic, unless someone's selling off their stock of Pioneer plasmas (nothing to beat it). the differences have narrowed quite a bit, and you should go with your preference.

well its true that burn is reduced by a large margin,however all plasmas outhere is still prone to image retention although its temporary neverthless its still annoying.

yes lasts for around 30-45 seconds after shutting off the TV - but i will take that over clouding that LCDs are prone to. And clouding is more often than not permanent.:p

yes lasts for around 30-45 seconds after shutting off the TV - but i will take that over clouding that LCDs are prone to. And clouding is more often than not permanent.:p

well not all lcds are prone to that its just a manufacturing defect in some lcds.but if u look at that way there are issues like dirty screen effect,dithering aka plasma noise ,phosphor trailing ranging from panasonic,samsung base models all the way upto pioneer kuro.i can go on and on.
so please i don't want to start a plasma vs lcd debate all over again.
if u like ur panny plasma thats fine.but u do have a hate for sony and to some extent samsung,which is evident in most posts.

yeah, the burn-in possibilities have been reduced significantly, and you need to really do something exceptional to experience burn-in but temporary image retention is still an issue, although it's more of a minor irritant.

If you're looking for LCDs Samsung and Sony remain your best options, and for plasmas samsung and panasonic, unless someone's selling off their stock of Pioneer plasmas (nothing to beat it). the differences have narrowed quite a bit, and you should go with your preference.

so youre saying that both will last as long and burn in is not an issue and i must'nt take these into consideration during my purchase?

have pretty much decided on a samsung plasma. there are 3 models to choose from
1. PS42A410 - about rs 43,000
2. PS42A430 - about rs 46,000
3. PS42B530 - about rs 48,000

can you give me basic differences between the 3

B530 is the latest series with the latest panel, the other models are last year's and older generation.

Go for B530 as it is the latest one ...

Close your eyes and go for LG PQ70 plasma with bluetooth, 42/50 whatever fits in your budget..
42" should be around 43-45K
50" should be around 60-63K

trust me, you wont regret buying this!!

Close your eyes and go for LG PQ70 plasma with bluetooth, 42/50 whatever fits in your budget..
42" should be around 43-45K
50" should be around 60-63K

trust me, you wont regret buying this!!

thanks kekada but not sure if its available here. will check on it though

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back