42" Plasma - how good is LG PJ series

cryptic

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie here and this is my first post. I am planning to buy a 42" Plasma TV and after wasting lot of time on Google and American review site, came across this website. I am wondering why it didn't come up in Google earlier??

Anyway, I read through many threads on this website and many of my doubts are answered but one - how good are LG PJ series for Plasma TVs? I couldn't find much reviews on this one. I would like to have a good sound in my TV as I am a music buff so this seems like a good choice but couldn't find much reviews on this. Is it really worth the extra money they are charging?

How is the PQ w.r.t. Samsung? Ezone is selling PS42B450 for 36K which sounds good, only thing it doesn't have USB support. I don't have lot of content on USB so I should be able to manage w/o that.

Somehow I have never used a Panasonic AV device so not sure if I want to try that now, though there are some good reviews about that on this site. Moreover, one thread warns about degrading blacks in some Panny models.

I am based in Bangalore so any info about good dealers and prices would also help. I am going to try with Modern shop in Domlur as it was suggested by someone in one thread. How is the plasma TV service for LG and Samsung in Bangalore? Somewhere I read that LG refused to service Plasma so poor guy had to junk his TV. Please advice.

When I was looking at 42" plasma I had narrowed it down to Samsung PS42C450 and LG 42PJ650 ( for prices see the price-thread) I found Samsung to be better in Picture Quality than LG (whose colors seemed washed out ). pls ensure to compare them side by side and in 'Home Use' mode ( most stores would have them in 'Store Demo' mode) to compare PQ, Glare, Sound, Blacks etc. MY recommendation is to go for a separate Home Theater ( or a Sound Bar if you dont like wires ), if music is important for you. LG42PJ560 seems to be better but I didnt like the sound quality.

Based on their reputation, I would stay away from Panasonic until they prove themselves. but YMMY.

Thanks ConnectedSoul. I'll be going out to market for some research today. These two models are at top of my mind. How is C450 different than B450 in PQ? B450 is available for 36K at eZone which sounds like a good deal, even if I have to buy a separate HT.

Looks like no one in Bangalore has stock of Samsung C450. I checked in 2 eZones, Girias, Pai, and even in Samsung showroom. Samsung guys said he'd get me one by today but then he called to say only B450 is available. Is there something wrong with this or Samsung Plasma in general? None of the shops actually had a Samsung 42" Plasma, only Panny and LG. Now I am having second thoughts about Plasma, thinking about 32" LED. Any suggestions?

Hi,

I have done lot of research before I narrowed on LG PJ Series. Now whether to go for Plasma or LCD really depends on your choice.

I am ardent fan of LCD and always preferred them over Plasma. Stayed away from Plasma due to technical problems

In recent times my opinion changed to a greater extent as Plasma seems to offer more value for money.

Better contrast ratio( 80000: 1for LCD vs 5000000:1)
Response time 2 ms(LCD) vs < 1 ms for Plasma)
Lifetime(60000 Hrs vs 100000 hrs) for plasma panels

I did lot of research and LG seem to provide excellent value for money. When it comes to Plasma you have really two choices.

Panasonic and LG. My favourite always will be Panasonic.

Panasonic V series is what you should opt if your main preference is to use them for Movies(Full HD). Please be aware you will lose clarity when viewing SD as it higher resolution ratio. This will not be an issue if you have home theater receiver which contains upscaling feature using AnchorBay.

Moreover the panels are made in Japan(NeoPDP).

On the other hand if you want better quality on your TATA Sky or Dish TVs you should opt for LG as it offer excellent contrast ratio and response time with less money. As it is only HD ready.

At the end of it, I opted for LG because it offers better value for money with little compromise on quality

Remember in India at 42" Full HD vs HD Ready dont add any value mainly for following reasons.

1) 42" is too small a size to really differentiate between Full HD and HD ready
I cant tell difference between my Blue ray playback on Full HD and HD Ready

2) It will take 5 or 6 years before we can really start getting some full HD content

By that time your TV will be outdated anyway. So why spend more.

At the end of it for 42PJ560(there are two models, one with two speakers on it side) I paid 43000 from EZone.

Please ask sales guy to play out Tata sky or Dish TV before you decide.

Please burn in your plasma for 100 hrs with 50% brightness and 50% contrast. After that you will witness real wow factor.

Thanks
Venkat

2) It will take 5 or 6 years before we can really start getting some full HD content
By that time your TV will be outdated anyway. So why spend more.
Keeping your other logic aside, I don't think it'll be so long.
Tata Sky, Dish, Sun and Airtel already have HD with 1-2 channels each.
I can see that the numbers of channels broadcasting HD will explode pretty soon.

LG PJ SERIES seems to be quite good. You can go for it. Recently a couple of my friends and uncle have picked up different models in the PJ series - PJ350, 650 and 560 and they are all very happy with the sets. One of them picked up a 50PJ560 top end HD ready model and it is very nice. I had a look myself last week. Pricing is superb too.

Yes; I agree that the blacks are not as good as maybe a Panasonic but when I compared with a Samsung C450, I could not see much difference. Good colours, contrast and blacks in home settings. Blu rays look out of the world.

LG plasmas seem to have improved from last year when I got my 42PQ70. This year's PJ series is definitely better.

Panasonic is okay for 42 inch size but for 50 inch the prices are way too high. 42V20 is a full HD model. Paying upwards of 60k for a 42 inch model in my opinion is not really worth it. Might as well go for a HD ready 50 inch and enjoy the bigger screen size. 4k more than 60k at 64k will even get you the LG 50PK550 which is a full HD model.

Please do demo the PJ series and I am sure you will like the models. They are excellent value for money currently with very good quality.

Hi

As many network broadcasters are using only 720p or 1080i resolution to broadcast I dont think there is much difference in quality between HD and HD Ready up to 42", so it is wiser to buy HD Ready than HD.

Some 2 days back I purchased 42 PJ350R of LG after comparing it with PJ560R and Panasonic X20 I liked LG PJ350R for its price which is Rs.37890/- and other qualities like colour , black level and other features than Panasonic.

Regards

Sub

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back