4k pass through & 4k upscaling , which AVR to choose

ggsekhar2000

Hi Mates, I bought 4k ultra tv, specifically from samsung. Looking to buy a new receiver to match up with my 4k tv, but somewhat confused on something. I'm noticing some receivers say they have 4k passthrough, and others having passthrough and 4k upscaling together. I've done some research on the web, reading articles and even some posts on the HiFi forum and still confused on exactly what the difference is between them both and if i need one of them in my receiver, or both features in my receiver to pair with my 4k tv.

I'm aware that some of new receivers this year have HDMI 2.0, which I will definitely make sure the receiver I eventually purchase has it. But as i read the specs of some of these new receivers, some of them have 4k passthrough only, while others have 4k passthrough and upscaling. I'm very confused if my receiver need one of them, or both.

From my understanding, 4k tv's have the ability to upscale, so why would my receiver need to have 4k upscaling if the TV already does it...If so, then I would assume 4k passthrough is only necessary to pass the native 4k content to my TV, while my TV does the job of upscaling. That would lead me to believe you only need a receiver with 4k passthrough only.

Then i was thinking what if I get a receiver that has the capability of doing 4k passthrough and upscaling at the same time. If my 4k tv already does the upscaling, and a receiver does it as well, I'm worried that the video transfer will be messed up because the receiver and my tv is upscaling at the same time. Again, this is scrambling my mind to no end lol.

Sorry for the long post guys, i'm just really confused on this certain feature and just wanna make sure i'm well informed to make the right purchase for my receiver. 4k is new, so I guess we're all in the same boat. Looking forward to hearing what you guy's think and to get some concrete information about this issue. Thank You.

In simple terms:

4K Passthrough - AVR will just passthrough any 4K signal unaltered. So your source player should output 4K content.

4K Upscaling - AVR will upscale the input to 4K if the source is non 4K.
AVRs with upscaling feature will be expensive too.

In simple terms:

4K Passthrough - AVR will just passthrough any 4K signal unaltered. So your source player should output 4K content.

4K Upscaling - AVR will upscale the input to 4K if the source is non 4K.
AVRs with upscaling feature will be expensive too.

I have only DVD player, but fibre internet connection to download movies. Mostly download HD movies. In this case if I have 4k upscale model with USB input be better. I do not have Blueray player & do not want to invest in one as of yet. Because in future Blueray players may come with 4K UHD. During that time I can buy a new one. Also should I settle with 4k upscaler model AVR for now. Since in a year or two any ways I need to update my player. Cost wise which would be beneficial. By the way I have assumed, I can buy all new products

It's better to assess n buy a receiver based on its audio properties. As you mentioned your TV upscales to 4k. So get any receiver which pass through Native 4K. Even if the avr has a 4k upscaler, you can disable it in settings. The USB port on the avr is only for music files. Sometimes jpgs also get played. Don't think it supports any video formats. It's better to get a bluray, media player or htpc for playing video content. Your samsung 4K TV might play most video files off its USB port. The audio can be sent to the avr via HDMI (arc).

Hi

You need to personally audition the AVR you choose which has 3D/4K pass though and other features...there is stiff completion around where brands are offering a lot of features....you need to assess if you will indeed use these features then only it makes sense to invest in such an AVR.....of course the more latest AVR with added features would be expensive....

Budget an issue then look at For Sale by Owner section or Hi Fi Ads...all the best

It's better to assess n buy a receiver based on its audio properties. As you mentioned your TV upscales to 4k. So get any receiver which pass through Native 4K. Even if the avr has a 4k upscaler, you can disable it in settings. The USB port on the avr is only for music files. Sometimes jpgs also get played. Don't think it supports any video formats. It's better to get a bluray, media player or htpc for playing video content. Your samsung 4K TV might play most video files off its USB port. The audio can be sent to the avr via HDMI (arc).
thanks a ton for the briefing:

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back