4K Projector Short throw or Regular throw with or without ALR screen

sunild

Hi Guys,

I am looking for projector do I need go for short throw or long throw, do I need ALR screen these are the questions.

Situation : Presently, I have very odd room 10 X 14 feet on both side walls 1 door on left and 2 doors on the right and back wall is open as I have stairs this is on the first floor. future planning to build dedicated ht room I have open space 14 x 22 feet.

I was initially planning to buy Formovie Home theatre ultra short throw projector, I didn't get option for demo, I am not sure if I require ALR screen as home theatre room is not dedicate I do have ambient light except in the evenings.
Now my search is on regular throw native 4K projector, I can use for the present room setup, later I am planing to build a dedicated home theatre which will be 14 feet W and 22 feet L. need advise on projector, receiver and room acoustics. I want avoid fiberglass and other hazardous material and looking for cheapest solution DIY Acoustic Wall panels.

Anyone who owns dedicated home theatre share your build experience this can help.

1.4K Native projector which has option to lens shift for Cinema scope
2. AVR which can support Auro with 13.2 channels
3. Do I need AMP
4.What acoustic material I can use for DIY

Regards

The entry level native 4k projector like sony 295es will cost you around 3.5 lakhs. Recently I upgraded to Epson 9400 and it is on par with sony 295es. My cousin has sony one and contrary to what some people say, I found the Epson to be better in picture quality. Sony's pic quality might be little sharper but since my viewing distance is more than 9 feet, I don't see any difference. In fact the brightness of Epson makes the picture pop up compared to sony.
For avr, you can go for denon 4500/4700. If you are using good sensitivity speakers then amp not required. Would easily drive them.

For acoustic treatment, you can use rockwool. There's lot of diy videos on youtube. I am using diy acoustic panels along with floor carpet which really takes care of sound reflection.

The entry level native 4k projector like sony 295es will cost you around 3.5 lakhs. Recently I upgraded to Epson 9400 and it is on par with sony 295es. My cousin has sony one and contrary to what some people say, I found the Epson to be better in picture quality. Sony's pic quality might be little sharper but since my viewing distance is more than 9 feet, I don't see any difference. In fact the brightness of Epson makes the picture pop up compared to sony.
For avr, you can go for denon 4500/4700. If you are using good sensitivity speakers then amp not required. Would easily drive them.

For acoustic treatment, you can use rockwool. There's lot of diy videos on youtube. I am using diy acoustic panels along with floor carpet which really takes care of sound reflection.
@pantpank Thanks sharing the information, are you using ALR or any special screen, what is the size of the screen

For Acoustic treatment panel , did you use rock wool or glass wool.

Regards
SK

Hi Guys,

I am looking for projector do I need go for short throw or long throw, do I need ALR screen these are the questions.

Situation : Presently, I have very odd room 10 X 14 feet on both side walls 1 door on left and 2 doors on the right and back wall is open as I have stairs this is on the first floor. future planning to build dedicated ht room I have open space 14 x 22 feet.

I was initially planning to buy Formovie Home theatre ultra short throw projector, I didn't get option for demo, I am not sure if I require ALR screen as home theatre room is not dedicate I do have ambient light except in the evenings.
Now my search is on regular throw native 4K projector, I can use for the present room setup, later I am planing to build a dedicated home theatre which will be 14 feet W and 22 feet L. need advise on projector, receiver and room acoustics. I want avoid fiberglass and other hazardous material and looking for cheapest solution DIY Acoustic Wall panels.

Anyone who owns dedicated home theatre share your build experience this can help.

1.4K Native projector which has option to lens shift for Cinema scope
2. AVR which can support Auro with 13.2 channels
3. Do I need AMP
4.What acoustic material I can use for DIY

Regards
ALR has very limited viewing angle issue. You may not get most optimum brightness/ image if the PJ is not properly aligned as per your seat. Hence normal screen is advisable (unless you can manage the angle).

@pantpank Thanks sharing the information, are you using ALR or any special screen, what is the size of the screen

For Acoustic treatment panel , did you use rock wool or glass wool.

Regards
SK
Using normal white inlight brand white screen bought from Amazon India. Size is 127' cinemascope.

Used Rockwool in acoustic panels.

Thank you for sharing the details.

I am planning to buy Optoma UHZ65LV.
For dedicated room I don’t think so this projector needs ALR screen.

I may go for 120 to 135 , is there anyone using this projectors, very helpful if you share your review.

Regards

Thank you for sharing the details.

I am planning to buy Optoma UHZ65LV.
For dedicated room I don’t think so this projector needs ALR screen.

I may go for 120 to 135 , is there anyone using this projectors, very helpful if you share your review.

Regards
What distance are you putting the projector from the screen? ALR would be required if you have a lot of ambient light in the room. But you need to achieve atleast 40 ft/lamberts of brightness to from the projector to get a great 4K image as per SMPTE standards. You may need to plan how much gain in the screen material then and also how far you are keeping the projector from the screen.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back