4ohm speaker on 8ohm amp?

sameer kumar

Hi

Two months back I have purchased CYRUS 8SE CDP ,CYRUS 8VS2 Amp & Dynaudio Audience 72 speakers.

I am thoroughly enjoying my music but my friends on internet (who have not listened to my set up) are

doubtful about driving capabilities of my amp.

Their argument is "4ohm speaker(Dynaudio Audience 72) can not be exploited properly by 8ohm amp(Cyrus 8vs2)"

When I bought the Cyrus amp ,I got carried away with the following specifications (in bold letters)

Continuous Power - 70W/CH (both driven into 8 Ohms) 110W/CH (both driven into 4 Ohms)
Burst Power - 340W (IHF, one channel driven into 1 Ohm)
Distortion - 0.003%, 1kHz (into 8 Ohms) 0.005%, 1kHz (into 4 Ohms)
Frequency Response - -3 dB, 0.2Hz and 85kHz
Damping Factor - (1kHz) 150
Sensitivity - (50W) Line: 200mV
Input impedance - 50kOhm (RCA).
Output voltage - 200mV (Tape out), 380mV (Pre out)
S/N Ratio - 101dBA (ref. 50W)
Channel Balance - ±0.2dB (0dB to -63dB)
Volume control accuracy - ±0.1dB (0dB to -63dB)
Dimensions - (H x W x D) 73 x 215 x 360 (mm)
Weight - 5.5kg

End of the day, I am very happy with the sound .(Missing better sound ? I dont know).

Do I really get a still better sound on 8ohm speakers?

Please advice

Cheers
Sameer kumar

Hi sameer,
At the end of the day you are happy, that is the point, please close the books.
I will recommond you to drive the audience 72 with plinius amp, some other member with recommend krell and the list will go on. Now where do you stand and which one will you buy. Do not bother about the 8 ohmns/4 ohmns and all those things. I was in the same boat some time ago and thank GOD i came out of it. If you still feel the amp does not give you clarity/depth even at 50% of the volume, I advice you to buy a power amp LATER ON and save money on by selling.

Well said Mr.Nandakumar

If one is happy with the current set up then dont disturb that , i had a bad experience in the past , selling my very good quad 11L speakers and bought a mission M33 ( i hear someone calling me fool ) . If you want to upgrade kindly hear the system before you do so.

regards

tharun

Hi

Two months back I have purchased CYRUS 8SE CDP ,CYRUS 8VS2 Amp & Dynaudio Audience 72 speakers.

I am thoroughly enjoying my music but my friends on internet (who have not listened to my set up) are

Their argument is "4ohm speaker(Dynaudio Audience 72) can not be exploited properly by 8ohm amp(Cyrus 8vs2)"

When I bought the Cyrus amp ,I got carried away with the following specifications (in bold letters)

Continuous Power - 70W/CH (both driven into 8 Ohms) 110W/CH (both driven into 4 Ohms)
Weight - 5.5kg

End of the day, I am very happy with the sound .(Missing better sound ? I dont know).

Please advice

Cheers
Sameer kumar

Sameer i have replied on the other thread u have created.
The amp is designed to drive both 4 & 8 ohm speaker loads and hence mention 70 W @ 8 ohms and 110 W @ 4 ohms.
Its the low sensitivity of the Dyna that requires more power and the 4 ohm load will extract more current.
U are happy with the sound is most important. Dont swap cause your friends on the net tell u its a mismatch.

Lastly if i were u and was not satisfied i would swap the amplifier!!!!!!!!!! I dont like the cyrus amp much but thats only my personal preference. Cyrus cdp is pretty good.

Last edited:
To rest sameer's mind in peace; as you know there are two types of amplifiers, voltage amps (const voltage) and current amps(const current).

Now, power can be calculated as either V^2/R or I^2*R based on which is constant here.

So if your amp is a voltage amp, using 70W rms into 8 ohms, the voltage effectively becomes,

V= sqrt(70*8) = 23.6 V

Switching to a 4 ohm load delivers,

P = 23.6^2/4 = 139W, add some feedback losses blah blah and you get your 110 W as measured.

Please note: Like dinyaar pointed out, your amp has been designed and tested for 4 ohm loads as well.

Congratulations on your buy and enjoy!

PS: Please correct the math if im wrong..:D

Hi

Weight - 5.5kg

Please advice

Cheers
Sameer kumar

Hi Sameer,
As i mentioned in your other post, the Cyrus is not a good match for your Dynaudio. But as everyone in this forum who replies to your quote, tell you to be happy as far as you are satisfied with the sound. My question is that, if one is happy, then he will not put up such a question on this post. I understand that the tecnical specs confuse a bit with regards to 4 ohms & 8 ohms. It is not JUST the impedance that has to be taken into consideration. For eg.. One cant pair a Wilson Watt Puppy with a cyrus or NAD even though both can be driven at 8 ohms. The amp has to be High current, to be able to EFFORTLESSLY drive the load ( speakers). And in your case, i would suggest your next upgrade to be a Good Pre/Power combo or if you are aware of Tube Amplifiers, then i would suggest you to just buy one & close the chapter once for all. Tubes are very high current & they drive speakers extremely well. Also the tonal colour of tube sound is entirely different. If one gets used to such a thing, he can never put his hand onto solid state ever again. Well.... that was just a suggestion. And coming back to your topic, its just that a perfectly matched system will sound totally different from any other system that costs tons more. I hope this helps.

Critic wrote
"its just that a perfectly matched system will sound totally different from any other system that costs tons more"

Isn't that the chimera we are all chasing!!!
This thread is because Sameer doesn't know or doesn't believe he has the perfectly matched system! Sameer, stand in line and take a token.....there are scores of us ahead of you in that line......and the line itself is a mile long:)
Cheers

Sameer, the nominal impedance of 4 ohms or 8 ohms do not mean much. the impedance in the speaker changes with frequency over the spectrum and as most Dynaudios am sure it is nearer to 4 ohms nearer to its lower freq extensio but well over 6 ohms ofr the rest

there do exist 8Ohms speaker which also fall to 4 ohms at lower frequencies

so ratings are also not always representative of the "truth" in fact even the 50W and 110 W in an amplifier are not really representative of the truth :D

as long as the bass is tight and does not sound muffled you whould be ok with the curus which does make very nice equipment...and almost all decent amplifiers can run speakers between 4-8 ohms quite well.

so as they say, the proof is in the pudding and the pudding in this case is the sound you hear

now can the speaker sound better than what you hear..maybe yes and as mentioned by ckn, that is exactly what we are all searching for... the perfectly optimised system.. which practically only a skilled DIY'er may actually achieve;)

Last edited:
Hi Sameer,
Just interested in knowing if your amp becomes very hot after some time of usage as it is connected to a 4ohm speaker.
(In my instance I have a Denon AVR, which is rated at 6ohm, and could connect any speaker from 4ohm to 8 ohm to it. However have heard that when 4ohm speakers are connected, the amp gets heated up quickly...whereas it remains normal when 6ohm speakers are connected).

Hi Sameer,
Just interested in knowing if your amp becomes very hot after some time of usage as it is connected to a 4ohm speaker.
(In my instance I have a Denon AVR, which is rated at 6ohm, and could connect any speaker from 4ohm to 8 ohm to it. However have heard that when 4ohm speakers are connected, the amp gets heated up quickly...whereas it remains normal when 6ohm speakers are connected).

Hi

No,I have never noticed too much of heat even after 3 hrs of listening at a touch above one fourth volume.

Cheers
sameer.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back