5.1 av receiver + speaker option for Home Theatre

Santanu Roy

I am looking at buying a 5.1 channel AV receiver + a 5.1 speaker system, to replace an old HTIB from Sony. Need to connect a HD set-top box, a DVD player, and other players to this receiver (the first 2 through HDMI). Budget between 40 and 50k.
Have seen Yamaha HTR 3064 (connected to Jamo 5.1 speakers) and Harman Kardon AVR 134 (connected to JBL Cinema 300 speakers).
Personally preferred the Harman / JBL combination, but later found out that the AVR 134 carries only video on the HDMI channels (so you need to connect the audio separately, and thats a lot of hassle). Also the Yamaha receiver allows auto callibration of the speakers, depending upon the room size and speaker positioning, while the Harman receiver does not support this.

Can I go with the Yamaha HTR 3064, along with the JBL Cinema 300 5.1 speakers ? Would there be any mismatch, or the effects would be the same ?

Or should I try for 5.1 Yamaha speakers with the 3064 receiver ?

Is the HTR 3064 same as RX-V371 ? Is this the latest model available in India ? The yamaha website says that this has been discontinued. But all mega electronics stores, such as Reliance Digital only sells 3064 amongst Yamaha.

HTR 3064 is bundled with YHT-296 which is an HTIB and a complete package,costs around 30K. HTR3064 and 371 are the same. you would still get 371 in the market for aroind 18-19K. But since you have a good budget why don't you look for better speakers packages like Boston Acoustics Soundware XS5.1 or Wharfedale Moviestar 65+ Super

5.1 Home Theatre System

The total should cost you around 50K with AVR and speakers. for AVR look for Yamaha 373 or Denon 1513 for around 25K and rest of the amount you can spend on speakers. You would have a solid system.

But first of all demo the different AVRs with different speakers and purchase the one which sounds good to your ear.

You can even consider Pioneer AVR. You would find lesser features in HK AVRs.

I just purchased the HTR 3064/RX-V371 a few days back. I am very happy with it, I am driving these with Sonodyne 1501 BS fronts, and old Sony SS-DX3 BS as rears, and I am convinced that with better speakers it will sound even better. The sound signature is a little on the brighter side specially for music, but I feel that can fairly be compensated with a little adjustment. I find the SQ more to my liking than an entry level Denon.

Dear Shibashis,
I bought a Yamaha V-473 last week alongwith a pair of Sonus-2504 V3 FS. I am finding both on the brighter side. Can some tweaking be done to get a warmer SQ? I play mostly Rock on my Panasonic DVDP. Need yr suggestions. Thanks.

Dear Shibashis,
I bought a Yamaha V-473 last week alongwith a pair of Sonus-2504 V3 FS. I am finding both on the brighter side. Can some tweaking be done to get a warmer SQ? I play mostly Rock on my Panasonic DVDP. Need yr suggestions. Thanks.

My suggestion would be to use the 'Tone control' at the front panel, decrease treble to either '0' or to some negative value to your liking. At the same time I normally have bass increased to +4, that compensates for me fairly well. I am satisfied with these, it may differ for you but do try and let me know if you feel any improvement.

Thanks. I increased bass to 5 & treble to 0. It improved a lot. Meanwhile i found that changing crossover values also is helpful. Presently i made it 120db & the result was quite encouraging. But is it advisable?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back