5.1 or 7.1/7.2 to go with Denon 1610 AVR

Nageshbut

Hi

I am hooked on to a pre owned Denon 1610 AVR in excellent shape. Want to enhance/ replace my age old system with Denon serving as the amp.

Was wondering , what would go with this ?

- A 5.1 or a 7.1/ 7.2. Powerful yet not pricey. I am open to pre owned High end, e.g Definitive/ Klipsch if it's available within reasonable money.

- Would the Denon support the entire series or an additional amp would be needed ?

- I am placing this in the drawing room that is appr 280/300 sq ft.

Would be happy with your valuable inputs. Thanks

Regards
Nageshbut

I am hooked on to a pre owned Denon 1610 AVR in excellent shape. Want to enhance/ replace my age old system with Denon serving as the amp.

Great choice for an used AVR.. Do you already have a denon amplifier?.. which model?..

- A 5.1 or a 7.1/ 7.2. Powerful yet not pricey.

Possible.. This will depend on your budget & choice of speakers.. What is your budget?..

- Would the Denon support the entire series or an additional amp would be needed ?

The Denon 1610 is a 5.1 AVR, with capability of 7.1.. Pre-out is provided for either surr back / Front height which can be done with an additional power amplifier..

- I am placing this in the drawing room that is appr 280/300 sq ft.

Ok good.. I would suggest a 7.1/7.2 with Front heights, so you get to benefit standard 5.1 layout + heights using Dolby Prolic IIz, Dts Neo X (or) Audyssey DSX DSP modes..

If you will be playing 5.1 stuffs mostly,then 5.1 is enough.7.1 better option if room is bigger.

If your seating is against the back wall, go 5.1 (no space behind you for the rear speakers). If your seating is a few feet away from the back wall, then you can do 7.1 with good separation between the side speakers and rear speakers.

Great choice for an used AVR.. Do you already have a denon amplifier?.. which model?..

Possible.. This will depend on your budget & choice of speakers.. What is your budget?..

The Denon 1610 is a 5.1 AVR, with capability of 7.1.. Pre-out is provided for either surr back / Front height which can be done with an additional power amplifier..

Ok good.. I would suggest a 7.1/7.2 with Front heights, so you get to benefit standard 5.1 layout + heights using Dolby Prolic IIz, Dts Neo X (or) Audyssey DSX DSP modes..

Can't thank you enough elangoas for the prompt reply as well as genuine suggestions.

I don't have an amp, have to go in for one if i opt for 7.1, say.

Budget at the moment is sub 1 lac.

I checked both , amazon.in & amazon.com, & the sheer difference in the value of the import duty dampened my spirit a little bit hence i will opt for a used "High end" if that would be available or go for a system for the budget i have specified.

agree..

Great suggestion ! I shall search for these ones. :)

If you will be playing 5.1 stuffs mostly,then 5.1 is enough.7.1 better option if room is bigger.
Thanks spirovious..

Room extends up to 18 ft ( for a 280/300 sq ft size) includes dining but also a listening area. My earlier surrounds were halfway in between, yet good enough. But lot of sense in what you are saying. I have to make a choice.

If your seating is against the back wall, go 5.1 (no space behind you for the rear speakers). If your seating is a few feet away from the back wall, then you can do 7.1 with good separation between the side speakers and rear speakers.

Thank you sdurani.

Yes, there is quite a space behind the the seating that extends into a dining area which i hadn't utilized earlier for speakers but can now think of doing for a 7.1. Which also means extended wiring & defacing the walls a little bit. :)

Can't thank you enough elangoas for the prompt reply as well as genuine suggestions.

Thank you..

I don't have an amp, have to go in for one if i opt for 7.1, say.

If you decide to go for 7.1, then get an additional power amplifier (not necessarily a new one).. Finding one (new) power amp is always going to be expensive / difficult..

If you are fine to get an used one, consider the below..

For Ex : check this used one on OLX - https://www.olx.in/item/harman-kardon-amplifier-hk-3270rds-ID1iEIjR.html#d52b9a1fbd for 15K.. You can may be negotiate a bit and bring down the price citing amplifier age..

Though it is a Harman Kardon stereo receiver, it has Pre-out & Main-in jumper.. You need to remove the jumpers on HK and connect the pre-out from the Denon AVR to HK main-in with the cables.. Best way to beat the (new) addl power amp price..

I checked both , amazon.in & amazon.com, & the sheer difference in the value of the import duty dampened my spirit a little bit

Hmm.. That will most likely turn off, if you compare prices..

Budget at the moment is sub 1 lac.

hence i will opt for a used "High end" if that would be available or go for a system for the budget i have specified.

You can comfortably get a brand new 5/7.1 speakers + additional amplifier within your budget.. Choice is yours..

Great suggestion ! I shall search for these ones. :)

I went thru the specs of Denon 1610 and it seems to have only Dolby Prologic IIz to support heights.. Depending on room limitations, you can decide to go for heights / surr back..

Yes, there is quite a space behind the the seating that extends into a dining area which i hadn't utilized earlier for speakers but can now think of doing for a 7.1. Which also means extended wiring & defacing the walls a little bit. :)
Will be worth it. You'll get side versus rear separation in the surround field AND wrap-around envelopment that is simply not possible with a single pair of surrounds.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back