5.1 output of Samsung LED TV via Optical Cable

skambale

Hi,
I use a Samsung 40" LED TV (2011 model) with a USB source to play *.mkv files. The TV is connected to an amplifier (Denon 1612) via an optical cable for audio output.

In such a case, will the TV output 5.1 channel audio via the optical channel or will it always be PCM?

I have read in certain forums that most TVs will output a 5.1Ch audio only if the source is an in-built tuner.

Hi,
I use a Samsung 40" LED TV (2011 model) with a USB source to play *.mkv files. The TV is connected to an amplifier (Denon 1612) via an optical cable for audio output.

In such a case, will the TV output 5.1 channel audio via the optical channel or will it always be PCM?

I have read in certain forums that most TVs will output a 5.1Ch audio only if the source is an in-built tuner.

That depends on the Audio codec in the file. If your .mkv file has 5.1 audio encoded, it will send those audio signals to your receiver and your receiver will decode into 6 channels.

I have a Samsung LED and enjoying 5.1 movie with same set up as yours.

Hdd based codec can be passedthru via optical, but don't expect an hdmi based input as stb's sound to be passed thru via optical, most sammys will pass thru dts and dolby via optical.. Also do check what your model supports

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back