5.1 Satellite HT for bedroom: MA Apex 5.1 vs B&W MT 50 vs B&W MT-60D Budget 3-4 lacs

Eddierockks

Hi everyone! It's been some time since I was last active on the forum (2012 to be exact). Back then, I purchased my first (proper) HT consisting of the following:

B&W CM9 x2
B&W CMC2 centre
B&W DS3 surrounds
Denon 4520CI AVR
Velodyne SPL 1200 Ultra

I had it all connected to Samsung 51" plasma, PS3, PS4, Apple TV, Tata Sky HD+, Oppo BDP-93, WD TV LIVE HUB. My room size is 17x13 feet but I have now decided to remove the wall that connects my room to a small store measuring additional 8x6 feet. So that will be a total of 269 sq feet of area. I'm going to renovate my room and have decided that I'll move the big floor standing speakers, centre speaker as well as the bipolar surrounds to my dedicated HT room that I wish to construct in 2016. Till then they will be safe in their original packaging. :) Reason for this shift is not that I am unhappy with them, rather I love my HT but soon this year, I will have a baby and so my wife wants us to have rather smaller speakers which will be out of reach of the kids. I have a couple of nieces as well who come around my room everyday and try to fiddle with the setup. Getting them off the system is a job in itself.

Therefore, I'm on the hunt for satellite 5.1 speakers to be used with existing Denon 4520CI AVR. I want to use it with the satellites because I would like to buy a Dolby Atmos AVR or maybe a pre power combination when the right time comes with my CM9 theatre and enjoy them in a bigger space that they rightfully deserve.

I like warm signature on the speakers, hate bright ones. I was inclined on getting a B&W system again but I recently read about Monitor Audio Apex and I love how they look. They offer a bigger centre which I think I can mount easily out of the reach of kids. Plus, they have won a WhatHIFI Best Style speaker system for 2000 pounds+ category in 2011 as well. Both the B&W MT 50 and MT 60D are the current reigning champions in the same category from last 3 years now as well.

Budget: 3-4 lacs INR

Doubts/Questions:

1. I have not heard MA speakers ever before. Can somebody comment on their sound signature? It will be great if someone can comment on Monitor Audio's Apex or Radius series. Any comments on B&W's MT 50 or MT 60D would be appreciated as well.

2. Does anyone have any experience with the B&W PV1D subwoofer? There are little and that too mixed opinions on the web. I reckon maybe because its an overpriced sub. It certainly looks appealing and I dont mind shelling out extra bucks given that it performs great (It looks great too :licklips:). Alternatively, I can opt for other sub options as well keeping in mind that it has to be used in a bedroom setup. Too huge or too ugly wouldnt be preferred.

I will be travelling to Delhi on 12th March so hopefully, I will be able to audtion quite a few systems based on your recommendations. I am looking for good performance along with good looks :eek:hyeah: and hopeful that I might find something based on the given budget.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys soon :) Thanks in advance!

Re: 5.1 Satellite HT for bedroom: MA Apex 5.1 vs B&W MT 50 vs B&W MT-60D Budget 3-4 l

Happy Holi everyone!

I am attaching a rough drawing of my bedroom after renovation. I know it's not ideal for a home theater but this is the best I can do at the moment.

Please do share your suggestions.

ipGwGG7Hj

Re: 5.1 Satellite HT for bedroom: MA Apex 5.1 vs B&W MT 50 vs B&W MT-60D Budget 3-4 l

Any comments everyone?

please think of Wharfedale Diamond Series 100 Home Theatre Package.denon 4520 ci is superb amp.
with remaining amount u can go for decent top end projector .mine projector is also for sale.
but between b&w & wharfdale i liked wharfdale very much.just take demo .

Hi Sachin, I just checked the Diamond line of wharfedale and found that they are too big for what I'm looking for. I am aiming to get satellite speakers. Plus, I am not willing to install a a projector in my bedroom. Will do that in my dedicated HT room.

Also which B&W speakers have you listened to and were not impressed? Just curious.

I have demoed B&W MT50 and Monitor Audio Mass systems.
Both are good for movies and decent enough for music for a small room.
I found B&W MT50 to be quite superior to MA Mass.
Mass was paired with Denon and B&W with Onkyo.
I guess the Apex and Radius from MA are higher tier systems than Mass.

MA Mass + Marantz 5009 is all you need.

P.S: When I heard, they were better than Radius. Apex, never heard.

I have demoed B&W MT50 and Monitor Audio Mass systems.
Both are good for movies and decent enough for music for a small room.
I found B&W MT50 to be quite superior to MA Mass.
Mass was paired with Denon and B&W with Onkyo.
I guess the Apex and Radius from MA are higher tier systems than Mass.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I myself am inclined more towards B&W plus they have excellent reviews. But when auditioning, I will audition MA Mass, Radius, Apex as well as Q Acoustics line of satellite speakers as well. Additionally, did the MT50 sound bright to you at all? Do comment on MA Mass's sound signature as well. :)

MA Mass + Marantz 5009 is all you need.

P.S: When I heard, they were better than Radius. Apex, never heard.

Hi Blasto, I am not planning to buy a new AVR so Marantz isn't possible. If you liked them better than Radius, then I will definitely give them a listen. Thanks for your input.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I myself am inclined more towards B&W plus they have excellent reviews. But when auditioning, I will audition MA Mass, Radius, Apex as well as Q Acoustics line of satellite speakers as well. Additionally, did the MT50 sound bright to you at all? Do comment on MA Mass's sound signature as well. :)

Hi Blasto, I am not planning to buy a new AVR so Marantz isn't possible. If you liked them better than Radius, then I will definitely give them a listen. Thanks for your input.
When you listen you might find that MT50 is a little on the brighter side than the Mass.
But I feel that the perceived brightness is actually the clarity in the high and mid range.
For movies, you might not find a huge difference but for music you can easily hear the difference.

I have a B&W 685 S2 based 5.1 system.

When you listen you might find that MT50 is a little on the brighter side than the Mass.
But I feel that the perceived brightness is actually the clarity in the high and mid range.
For movies, you might not find a huge difference but for music you can easily hear the difference.

I have a B&W 685 S2 based 5.1 system.

Understood, I will share my experience after auditioning them soon. I am assuming that you heard the MT50 with the stock ASW608 sub right? If yes, would you recommend the same sub for my room specifications as well? Did you really like it? Or it could have been a weak link in the package? I ask this because I spoke to one of my friends in Delhi who owns the MT 20 package, which has the common sub, only the M1 satellites have been redesigned. But given that he has a bigger room than me, 15x22 feet I guess, his experience obviously have been different. He recommended the bigger ASW610 to me.

What are the other best subwoofers in the market at the moment? Last when I bought my Velodyne SPL 1200 Ultra, the Velodyne DD series was just launched but unavailable in India. So I bought the ULTRA and have been satisfied with it. I read around that SVS etc are now also available. I'm going to research about it today.

By the way, those are one of my favorite speakers that you own. :eek:hyeah:

I listened to them with a ASW610 but the demo room was only about 14ftx10ft.
I think the sub might be a little less powerful for your room size.
But I guess a better solution in your case might be two subs.

I listened to them with a ASW610 but the demo room was only about 14ftx10ft.
I think the sub might be a little less powerful for your room size.
But I guess a better solution in your case might be two subs.

Kestrel that's helpful info mate. I don't have the space for 2 subs in this setup, honestly, struggling to fit in just one. Btw, is it advisable to place the sub in a corner? I will be attaching few drawing options as suggested by my architect. I don't really like them at the moment and the main reason is sub placement. Rest of the equipment can fit in without a problem.

Regarding subs, does anybody on the forum would have an idea about Velodyne DD+ 10 and DD+12 prices? I am considering these options along with the B&W PV1D. B&W ASW610XP is around 1.25 lacs so doesn't seem like a lot of value to me. When I am spending around 1.5 on the sub, might as well get a servo controlled sub. By the way. I have been quoted 1.59 lacs for the B&W PV1D sub. Ofcourse, there is a discount as well.

Regarding other high end sub brands, please note that I am not planning to import any model and get into the hassle. I would prefer a sub that can be procured in India any given day. So please suggest models/brands which have an authorised dealer in India. Good day everyone!

How about a Def Tech or Paradigm setup?

How about a Def Tech or Paradigm setup?

I have not auditioned their satellite speakers as of now, but will definitely be auditioning them when in delhi next. Any particular recommendations from DT or Paradigm that can beat the likes of B&W & MA? Much thanks.

Eddie: you have a beautiful budget.. Why dont you try MK sound satellites.. ?

Mass, though a good option is not worth for your budget.

I have not auditioned their satellite speakers as of now, but will definitely be auditioning them when in delhi next. Any particular recommendations from DT or Paradigm that can beat the likes of B&W & MA? Much thanks.

I'd definitely suggest checking out one of the Def Tech Mythos series though I'm not sure were in India you could hear them.

You may also want to check out Anthony Gallo strada...

Eddie: you have a beautiful budget.. Why dont you try MK sound satellites.. ?

Mass, though a good option is not worth for your budget.

Thanks for your recommendation Pran. I checked a little bit on web about them and found out that the original was an American company (considered a legend) but sometime ago, it has been taken over by some Danes. I am not sure but I found quite some posts on various forums stating that M&K Sound speakers are different now under MK Sound. Is that true? I could not find a clear answer to that as some people agreed that they are the same and some did not saying now the products are inferior after the takeover. Also, what speakers do you use personally?

I'd definitely suggest checking out one of the Def Tech Mythos series though I'm not sure were in India you could hear them.

You may also want to check out Anthony Gallo strada...

I will be visiting the authorized dealer of Def Techs hoping to find a satellite package available for demo. Let's see.

By the way, I started researching about AG Strada 2 last night and I seem to like how they look. Not sure about the sound thou. Internet is filled with praises for them. Quick check on their website tells me that AG is with a Pune based distributor who has (not sure) 10+ dealers in New Delhi!! ;) Have you heard the subject speakers? If yes, please share your experience. I can't wait to audition them!:eek:hyeah:

As of now guys, I have shortlisted the Strada 2's and B&W MT 60D or B&W MT50 with Velodyne DD+ 10 subwoofer. If I finalize on the Strada 2's, do you think the Denon 4520CI avr would suffice them because they are Reference speakers?

By the way, I started researching about AG Strada 2 last night and I seem to like how they look. Not sure about the sound thou. Internet is filled with praises for them. Quick check on their website tells me that AG is with a Pune based distributor who has (not sure) 10+ dealers in New Delhi!! ;) Have you heard the subject speakers? If yes, please share your experience. I can't wait to audition them!:eek:hyeah:

I have not heard these specifically but have extensive experience with Ref 3 and if they are anything to go by, these would be very capable speakers with a detailed, sophisticated sound. There was one pair on sale here some time back...by satmumbai IIRC. You may wanna search the for sale section and contact the person for his views.

I have not heard these specifically but have extensive experience with Ref 3 and if they are anything to go by, these would be very capable speakers with a detailed, sophisticated sound. There was one pair on sale here some time back...by satmumbai IIRC. You may wanna search the for sale section and contact the person for his views.

Thank you, I'll get in touch with him. :)

Hi Eddie,

Thanks for contacting me on this. Yes, I did have a pair of Anthony Gallo Strada speakers and I have written elsewhere in detail about them. If some one is looking for a wall mount solution and willing to couple it with one or two sub woofer(s), then Strada are perfect solution. They are extremely good in the frequency spectrum they perform and most neutral speakers out there.
If I am doing a 5.1 setup for movies then, I would go for Strada for the Left, Right and Center and for surround you can go for A'Diva and if there is no budget constraint then of course all 5 to be strada.
Regarding Subwoofer, I had most of B&W sub including PV1 as well as PV1D. PV1D is really good sub and matches very well with Strada as I ran that combination for some time but I feel that Velodyne offers better VFM. Dialing in a sub to match the speakers and room is not very simple / straight forward so it is better to get as much support as possible. I do not know how good the Audyssey in your Denon for tuning the sub but I would opt for a sub which has its own Auto calibration mic. Also, if there is tip that I can give with Strada or any other smaller speakers, IMO, it is better to go for a 5.2 set up than a 5.1 set up. I have noticed it personally that a single sub tends to get directional especially when it has to dial in wider frequency range.

Please listen to everything for atleast two demos (One if possible at home) and with your / equivalent AVR as our hobby is subjective to individual.

Hope I am able to add some food for thought!

PS: BTW, I had B&W CM7 and then moved to CM9 and after living with several B&W speakers and subs, IMO, their 800 series is the best and some how their tuning does not trickle down the line and definitely not the MT range. I heard them too and if your choice is between the Strada and MT, then I can already tell you that you do not even have to look at the MT range. Strada is definitely some of the best out there given their size, wall mounting capability.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back