5.1 surround speakers with DD/DTS decoder and digital coaxial/optical input?

redherring

Im looking for a basic, low-cost, 5.1 speakers mainly for the surround sound experience while watching movies, so am not willing to spend more than 10K (or 15K, if it is a must).

I have the following:

1. Sony 40EX520 with only a Digital Optical Out
2. Tata Sky STB
3. Sony Blu Ray player with HDMI out, Digital Coaxial Out to be bought soon

My assumption is that Ill be able to connect the Digital Out of TV/Blu Ray player to the speaker (if it has DD/DTS decoder) without the need for an amplifier/receiver I dont want one, since the Blu Ray is my only audio source. Im OK with routing the STB directly to the TV. Am I on the right track, or is it that I must have an amplifier/receiver?

Ive read here and elsewhere there are a few speakers at my price point with DD/DTS decoder (e.g. F&D 6000 but havent seen it in any stores), but I dont know if any of them have Digital Audio input.

Questions:

1. Are there any 5.1 speakers at a price point of 10K 15K with digital coaxial/optical input and with Dolby Digital/DTS decoder built in, that can be connected to either my TV or Blu ray player to get real surround sound experience?

2. What is the best way to connect these? I propose to connect the Blu Ray to TV via HDMI, and connect the Digital Coaxial to the speakers. Or, if I can only get speakers with Digital Optical in, I can connect the TVs Digital Optical out to the speaker. Which of these is a better setup?

3. If there are no speakers with these specs available, are there any converters (from HDMI or Digital Audio to 5.1) available that I can plug into a basic 5.1 speaker system?

Thanks for your time!

Im looking for a basic, low-cost, 5.1 speakers mainly for the surround sound experience while watching movies, so am not willing to spend more than 10K (or 15K, if it is a must).

I have the following:

1. Sony 40EX520 with only a Digital Optical Out
2. Tata Sky STB
3. Sony Blu Ray player with HDMI out, Digital Coaxial Out to be bought soon

My assumption is that Ill be able to connect the Digital Out of TV/Blu Ray player to the speaker (if it has DD/DTS decoder) without the need for an amplifier/receiver I dont want one, since the Blu Ray is my only audio source. Im OK with routing the STB directly to the TV. Am I on the right track, or is it that I must have an amplifier/receiver?

Ive read here and elsewhere there are a few speakers at my price point with DD/DTS decoder (e.g. F&D 6000 but havent seen it in any stores), but I dont know if any of them have Digital Audio input.

Questions:

1. Are there any 5.1 speakers at a price point of 10K 15K with digital coaxial/optical input and with Dolby Digital/DTS decoder built in, that can be connected to either my TV or Blu ray player to get real surround sound experience?

2. What is the best way to connect these? I propose to connect the Blu Ray to TV via HDMI, and connect the Digital Coaxial to the speakers. Or, if I can only get speakers with Digital Optical in, I can connect the TVs Digital Optical out to the speaker. Which of these is a better setup?

3. If there are no speakers with these specs available, are there any converters (from HDMI or Digital Audio to 5.1) available that I can plug into a basic 5.1 speaker system?

Thanks for your time!

Why don't you look for this Blu-Ray HT system from SONY with MRP 25k?
You should be able to get it for less than that price.
It includes blu-ray player, has optical line-in for connecting your TV-out and STB.
(I haven't gone thru the reviews of this, please browse for the same)

BDV-E490 : Blu-ray Home Theatre Systems : Home Theatre System : Sony India

Thanks, but I'm having it bought from US along with many DVD and Blu Ray discs. So it is a region A player that'll mostly be used to play region A discs. Also, spending 25K or so on a HT system is ruled out for me. I'm trying to close it within 15K including player + speakers.

Thanks baijuxaviour!

I had considered Z906 earlier, but since it was around 15K had parked that thought. :)

If no other alternative is available, I guess I'll check that out. I'm hesitant to buy something above my requirement, as my TV viewing area is just about 12' x 12', so a very powerful speaker system may be an overkill.

I doubt if it can decode blu-ray audio formats like Dolby TruHD and DTS-HD considering redherring is going to buy Blu-Ray player?

Thanks for asking that question on my behalf! So if the converter can't decode DTS-HD or TruHD, is it downgraded to DD/DTS, or such audio is not supported at all?

Also, given I'm not using any expensive speakers, will I notice the difference between DTS and DTS-HD?

HD audio is supported over hdmi only and not on coaxial or optical out. So when coaxial or optical is used, HD audio is downgraded to normal 5.1. For hd audio support you need avr.

HD audio is supported over hdmi only and not on coaxial or optical out. So when coaxial or optical is used, HD audio is downgraded to normal 5.1. For hd audio support you need avr.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that using Digital Coaxial out from Blu Ray to the speaker will result in downgrade of HD Audio to 5.1 surround; and that Blu Ray -> AVR through HDMI is required to maintain True HD / DTS-HD?

Will the loss in quality be noticeable between the two setups?

OK. So now I need to decide between Z506 and Z906.

If I buy Logitech Z506, the total cost comes to around 8.5K (5K for the speakers + 3.5K for the digital -> analog converter that I can get from the US).

If I buy Logitech Z906, the total cost comes to around 16.5K (offered on eBay).

I plan to use it mainly as Home Theater speakers for movie watching. Is it worth spending extra 8K on Z906? Is the improvement in sound quality worth that much when compared to Z506?

Thanks!

I suggest you to go for an audition, before deciding as I haven't heard them(I think you also haven't).

Friends, I hv smae problem. I hv a Philips DVD player BDP 2600 which has one HDMI out put and one Dig COX output. I am bale to connect it to my Sony TV which has HDMI input. Now I want to buy a home theatre system which has digital COX input without the need to route it through a AV Receiver. Which brands are available in the market with 15-20K budget? Pl help. I am a begginer. Tks

Logitech Z906 has optical and coaxial inputs. But I suggest the Onkyo 3400 which is available in ebay.in for 25K or the latest model 3500. These have AVR with all the latest hd audio and 3D support.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back