5 TV Settings That Should be ILLEGAL (for Harming Picture Quality)

In Oled it’s very difficult to watch a 24p content without motion interpolation. Not sure how these guys watch it with all the stutter. May be the soap effect and artifacts introduced by motion interpolation is even worse then stutter in the eyes of professional calibrators and tv reviewers. He is spot on with picture presets wen it comes to accuracy and d65 white point

Nicely done, even though the video's been sponsored by filmmaker mode.
Only thing I don't agree with is turning off motion smoothness.
At least personally, on my Sony, the most minimal setting does wonders over completely turning it off.

I'm not sure how some guys watch it with the soap opera effect (which drives me batty). As Vincent so eloquently put it, Weirdos! :)
Yes I hate soap effect as well but you haven’t seen the stutter in an Oled tv. It’s more worse on 24p contents cause of the instantaneous response time.

Last edited:
In Oled it’s very difficult to watch a 24p content without motion interpolation. Not sure how these guys watch it with all the stutter. May be the soap effect and artifacts introduced by motion interpolation is even worse then stutter in the eyes of professional calibrators and tv reviewers. He is spot on with picture presets wen it comes to accuracy and d65 white point

For content at 24p
Source sending o/p at 24p + display running at 24p native >
Source sending o/p 60hz/50hz + display with interpolation enabled>>>
Source sending o/p 60hz/50hz + display with interpolation disabled

The stutter you are referring to is caused in the third scenario, not in the first

The stutter you are referring to is caused in the third scenario, not in the first
I didn’t say it’s cause of the first scenario. Just stated in general that 24p contents show horrible stutter in Oled tv cause of their instantaneous response time. Even with motion interpolation enabled the stutter is clearly visible and worse at times. It feels like the screen is chopped frame by frame.Smooth completely removes it but the picture will have bad soap and artefacts. The movie feel is lost and looks like watching a drama shot at 60fps. I use clear which retains the movie feel with eliminating stutter most scenes

Last edited:
I didn’t say it’s cause of the first scenario. Just stated in general that 24p contents show horrible stutter in Oled tv cause of their instantaneous response time. Even with motion interpolation enabled the stutter is clearly visible and worse at times. It feels like the screen is chopped frame by frame.Smooth completely removes it but the picture will have bad soap and artefacts. The movie feel is lost and looks like watching a drama shot at 60fps. I use clear which retains the movie feel with eliminating stutter most scenes
24p is a (relatively) very slow refresh rate .
Unfortunately that is what we are stuck with for the foreseeable future for the vast majority of our content.

All I am trying to point to is that the video posted by the OP is right - In that the optimal way to play back current normal video content is to play it at its native frame rate (with the player and display set to match the same.)

Here is an easy check you can run- your TV will show you the input signal details in one of The menus- play a movie and check what it says

All I am trying to point to is that the video posted by the OP is right - In that the optimal way to play back current normal video content is to play it at its native frame rate (with the player and display set to match the same.)
No not at all. He isn’t right IMO. May be for him it’s the optimal way but not for me and many who use Oled or even non oled Tv’s. In Oled if u watch without motion interpolation it’s like you are manually pausing and resuming the movie every second or like your blu ray disk is damaged and the scenes are getting stuck. I am all good with 24p cause it gives the cinematic experience but with motion interpolation enabled. I use clear settings which doesn’t eliminate stutter completely to avoid introducing soap effects. Smooth completely ruins it for me cause the 24p content looks like 60fps and introduces soap effects along with artefacts. But you will find a few use smooth as well and prefer soap effects over the stutter. As for the other part you are explaining about where 24p is slow and pointers to check the signal details or match the display,I do agree and that’s something I already know as well.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back