50-55inch TV with Dolby vision plus eARC

sumit_basu

Hi Folks
I am looking for a TV with the below specifications. Request forum members to help me choose one.

1. Dolby Vision, HDR (hence no Samsung)
  2. eARC as I will be connecting with my Denon 1600x for Dolby Atmos
  3. Va Panel preferred
  4. 50 inch preferred
  5. Led or QLED
  6. Budget 50 K
With this specification I could only find Mi QLED..is it good? Or do u have any more suggestions.

Doubt --- Do I need eARC ?, as will be consuming only from streaming site Netflix prime video etc since this site provides lossless audio. I do not have a Blu-ray player. Can I get Dolby Atmos from ARC? then there are many options in the market.
Also along with the TV do I need a firestick or Nvidia shield for Dolby Atmos or I can directly connect TV and Avr with HDMI (arc to arc) and from there TV can pass through Dolby Atmos signal to my AVR.

Another option - but a budget 4k tv with best picture quality and Colby vision and then add nvidia shield for atmos passthough

Last edited:
Do I need eARC ?, as will be consuming only from streaming site Netflix prime video etc since this site provides lossless audio
Netflix doesn't provide lossless audio. You do not need eARC unless you have a lot of blu-ray sources that have TRUE HD or DTS HD sources. Also, you need to have the kind of audio gear that will be able to distinguish between DD+ and TRUE HD.

If you don't have hi-fi audio gear, you don't need eARC. It's nice to have, but not necessary.
Can I get Dolby Atmos from ARC?
Yes, Dolby Atmos from streaming services like Netflix use DD+ and hence can be passed over ARC.
Also along with the TV do I need a firestick or Nvidia shield for Dolby Atmos or I can directly connect TV and Avr with HDMI (arc to arc) and from there TV can pass through Dolby Atmos signal to my AVR.
You do not need a firestick or Shield for Atmos. If the TV supports Atmos passthrough, it will be passed to the AVR.
With this specification I could only find Mi QLED..is it good?
There's no point in having Dolby Vision if the TV brightness itself is shit. Any TV below 500 nits will have garbage HDR performance and it's better to watch in SDR. 500-600 nits will get some improvement over SDR, 700-1000 will give you those nice specular highlights and above 1000 will look amazing.

If you want to have good HDR performance, the TV needs to have at least 600-700 nits of brightness. Else whether it has Dolby Vision, HDR10+, HDR10 are all meaningless and just boost the spec sheet. I'd buy a 500-nit HDR10 only TV over 350-nit TV with Dolby Vision any day of the week.
Or do u have any more suggestions
You need to come to terms with what you exactly want. Your budget is limited so there will be compromises.
  • Do you really need a 50" set? 55" TVs generally have way better quality and not that high price due to volumes.
  • Do you really need eARC?
  • Would you rather have Dolby Vision as a spec over having real picture quality?
  • Is your budget really limited to 50k or can it stretch to 70k?
I'd suggest looking at Samsung Frame 55". It routinely sells around 70k and will blow the Mi QLED out of water. Even with HDR10, it will have way better quality than the Mi playing in Dolby Vision. It also has a 120Hz panel and hence will have better motion handling than the MI. There's the obvious design benefit and Samsung's quality as well.

Thanks @lightgamer for such detailed and helpful revert.

Code:
Netflix doesn't provide lossless audio
yea I mistakenly written as lossless...it will be lossy fille.
So I can dumped the idea of eARC
Any TV with ARC plus nvidia sheild would be my first choice.
I understand and your point on brightness and agree with it. Yes Samsung frame is another great option..but it doesn't have Dolby vision.
If I can manage 70k I would love to have that too.
What about LG , any good options like nanocells ones...? Not sure if that have Dolby vision and ARC

I understand and your point on brightness and agree with it. Yes Samsung frame is another great option..but it doesn't have Dolby vision.
If I can manage 70k I would love to have that too.
Dolby Vision or HDR on a 350 nit display is a waste anyway. It won't look any better than SDR. The whole point of HDR video is about Dynamic Range and a display which can't go bright or has enough contrast defeats the entire point of HDR.

Re-iterating that the Frame running a movie in HDR will look significantly better than any cheap 350 nit display like the Mi QLED. Frame has more than 8000:1 contrast ratio and a decent brightness which do lend it very decent HDR performance.

A better panel will give a much better PQ over a worse panel with Dolby Vision.
What about LG , any good options like nanocells ones...? Not sure if that have Dolby vision and ARC
All nanocell TVs are IPS, which automatically remove them from producing good HDR performance. IPS panels are good as PC monitors, not for multimedia consumption due to low contrast ratio.

With a 50k budget, there's not a single good TV around. Either you stretch your budget to get the frame or compromise with picture quality. If you choose the latter, buy any TV and it won't make a difference.

^ yup, Mi Tv panels are trash with most of them around 250 nits and this so called Great Mi Qled is 350 nits brightness.

In cheaper TVs Thomson comes with 500 nits brightness along with Dolby Vision.

^ yup, Mi Tv panels are trash with most of them around 250 nits and this so called Great Mi Qled is 350 nits brightness.

In cheaper TVs Thomson comes with 500 nits brightness along with Dolby Vision.
Oh really, how is the HDR capabilities for Thompson, 500 nits is quite decent

Hi Folks
I am looking for a TV with the below specifications. Request forum members to help me choose one.

1. Dolby Vision, HDR (hence no Samsung)
  2. eARC as I will be connecting with my Denon 1600x for Dolby Atmos
  3. Va Panel preferred
  4. 50 inch preferred
  5. Led or QLED
  6. Budget 50 K
With this specification I could only find Mi QLED..is it good? Or do u have any more suggestions.

Doubt --- Do I need eARC ?, as will be consuming only from streaming site Netflix prime video etc since this site provides lossless audio. I do not have a Blu-ray player. Can I get Dolby Atmos from ARC? then there are many options in the market.

Another option - but a budget 4k tv with best picture quality and Colby vision and then add nvidia shield for atmos passthough
There's OnePlus 55u1 if you wanna stick to the budget strictly under 50K. It has higher brightness compared to MiQ1, so better HDR performance but obviously lacks the deep blacks due to LED panel and the MEMC is bad. As you are planning to have Sound System, the Sound wouldn't be an issue.

Well e-ARC is future proofing. Unless u connect sources directly to your TV which have lossless audio I.e. True HD or DTS Master codecs (as none of the streaming services have lossless audio) which need to be passed through e-ARC is not of much use, however if you get HDMI 2.1 TV then e-ARC will be there as default.

Well e-ARC is future proofing. Unless u connect sources directly to your TV which have lossless audio I.e. True HD or DTS Master codecs (as none of the streaming services have lossless audio) which need to be passed through e-ARC is not of much use, however if you get HDMI 2.1 TV then e-ARC will be there as default.
Thanks..for your reply...I'm also in line with the same thought.
Since my % video consumption is online hence HDMI 2.1 would be nice to have only.
So now I'm am looking for a TV with ARC with good display quality and good Dolby vision capabilities...

what if tv doesn't support dolby atmos bt supporting arc port ,is soundbar get atmos from arc port evn tv doesn't support dolby atmos while watching Netflix

what if tv doesn't support dolby atmos bt supporting arc port ,is soundbar get atmos from arc port evn tv doesn't support dolby atmos while watching Netflix
Should be possible as then the TV is just passing through the audio stream which decoded by the receiver.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back