50 inch plasma

The ST50 is amazing TV. The GT50 is better on specs but I am not that deep a videophile and to my untrained eye, both were equal.

Read: ST50 Owners' Thread - First impressions, Reviews, Tweaks, etc.. The thread is long but if you read thru it you will understand why it is a wonderful buy.

GT50 and ST50 are equal not only from the untrained eyes of normal users like us, but also from the eyes of the experts as well. I remember both David Mackenzie and David Katzmaier pointing out no visible difference between a "calibrated" ST50 and GT50. They were also referring about no difference even in the color gradations though the GT50 spec was better.

Just for that matter I demoed 50XT50 some 15 minutes back and I was super impressed. I have decided to go with only Panasonic.

Asked the local dealer to find price for
50ST50
55ET5D (could not see Demo of this but did demoed 47ET50 which was impressive)

and I will finalise only from above 2

Any suggestions out of above 2 considering I am more on HD content and definitely will watch 3D too as often as content is available.

That is sheer paranoia. A Rs. 350 cable will just do fine.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Sir,

You are 100 % correct.

Rs. 350/- Cable will do just fine...

It will deliver the signal from your 'source' to the Panel.

However, if you have a Panel like the ST 50 & the Source is a top end device [This is important] then the 2 cables will show the difference to you.
Else, why would any person buy a 35 K HDMI Cable ?
If it did not look better - no one wants to waste their money - not me for sure !!

If you stayed in Mumbai - we could have done an a/b on my HTPC to ST 50 / 50 & things may have gotten a bit clearer to you
You will need a 3M HDMI Cable to do the test @ My house...:cool:

Sir,

You are 100 % correct.

Rs. 350/- Cable will do just fine...

It will deliver the signal from your 'source' to the Panel.

However, if you have a Panel like the ST 50 & the Source is a top end device [This is important] then the 2 cables will show the difference to you.
Else, why would any person buy a 35 K HDMI Cable ?
If it did not look better - no one wants to waste their money - not me for sure !!

You will need a 3M HDMI Cable to do the test @ My house...:cool:
You do realize that hdmi (unlike your speaker cables) transmits data digitally, right? So how would the quality of the signal suffer based on the quality of the hdmi cable? There may be some difference between a Rs 350 hdmi cable and a Rs 1200 cable (because of shoddy manufacturing of the cheaper cable resulting in loose connections) but anything more than that and you're going to see the same Image/sound quality no matter if your cable costed 1200 for 3m or 12000.

HDMI cables, cheap or expensive makes no difference. Go for the Belkin Hdmi cables, they are not expensive, but very reliable. Don't have to spend toomuch on Hdmi cables. And for the TV option, I too own a Panny 50st30 and am very satisfied with the picture quality. So go for the ST50 model.

a 1k cable is more than enough i strongly belive.
for projectors purpose ya costly ones make sense as the distance (upto pj to transmit the data0 increases...
for a tv it does not make sense.
its digital.just like lycra ad.you either have it or you aint.so picture or no picture/flicker.
a blu ray player of 9k and a 1k hdmi cable makes intelligent investment than a 10k cable....

about the tv..yes st50 is no doubt best if not GT....

Last edited:
a 1k cable is more than enough i strongly belive.
for projectors purpose ya costly ones make sense as the distance (upto pj to transmit the data0 increases...
for a tv it does not make sense.
its digital.just like lycra ad.you either have it or you aint.so picture or no picture/flicker.
a blu ray player of 9k and a 1k hdmi cable makes intelligent investment than a 10k cable....

about the tv..yes st50 is no doubt best if not GT....

Sir,

I am no videophile.
Therefore I do not have any technical answers to provide.
Hence excuse my ignorance;
That said, if you could just try a 35K cable against a 1K Cable from a good source to a ST 50 TV & then decide - it would be nice....
I have done it & therefore I spent the money, else why would the money be spent by any person ? No one likes to waste his / her money.....

The proof of the pudding is in 'seeing' the difference !!
Do not trust me - see for yourself & then decide...;)

As far as I have read on HDMI and other such digital cables such as Coaxial and Optical, the quality of cable matters only for longetivity and sturdiness of connection. Digital signals do not degrade with every centimeter of cable. However after a certain distance, the connection drops like an avalanche. In short, a digital cable either works or does not work. Even if the cable was made with gold shreds, gold connnectors, super thick, extra shielding, etc., is not going to make any difference over the "in-tolerance" distance.

Refer: Expensive HDMI cables make no difference - the absolute proof | Expert Reviews

As far as I have read on HDMI and other such digital cables such as Coaxial and Optical, the quality of cable matters only for longetivity and sturdiness of connection. Digital signals do not degrade with every centimeter of cable. However after a certain distance, the connection drops like an avalanche. In short, a digital cable either works or does not work. Even if the cable was made with gold shreds, gold connnectors, super thick, extra shielding, etc., is not going to make any difference over the "in-tolerance" distance.

Refer: Expensive HDMI cables make no difference - the absolute proof | Expert Reviews

Point Noted.

You & the Reviewers are correct.
I may be wrong in my assessment.

I retract my comments;:sad:

The newer active cables are beneficial only when you need to transmit signals at longer lengths. My 2 metre cable for 1000 bucks performs equally well to my 10 metre cable for 500 bucks.

I somehow am not convinced with the statement that a 500Rs cable is same as a 5000 Rs cable.;)
Suppose you are connecting the High end BDP to the High end AV receiver and playing a movie with Dolby TruHD sound streaming by the BDP.
I have seen speeds upto 18Mbps displayed for this sound alone, on my AVR.
It is not that an ordinary cable cannot transmit. The point here in buying a high end AVR and a high end BDP is NOT to miss even a single bit of the sound/video.
If the connectors are not good insulators and wires are not made of pure copper, some bits might be lost, especially if the length is more.
This may not produce a discernable difference most of the times..

But the point is ,would the hardcore audiophiles/videophiles have a sound sleep in the night knowing that they are missing out a few bits of data in their high end systems?:D

Just for that matter I demoed 50XT50 some 15 minutes back and I was super impressed. I have decided to go with only Panasonic.

Asked the local dealer to find price for
50ST50
55ET5D (could not see Demo of this but did demoed 47ET50 which was impressive)

and I will finalise only from above 2

Any suggestions out of above 2 considering I am more on HD content and definitely will watch 3D too as often as content is available.

Did you see like ET50D over ST50???

Try with HD channels to compare and contrast

Dear Dirac. CAT 5 cables used in gigabit LAN can transmit much more data. If it is all zeros and ones the costlier cable only helps by providing structural integrity esp when used in short runs.

I somehow am not convinced with the statement that a 500Rs cable is same as a 5000 Rs cable.;)
Suppose you are connecting the High end BDP to the High end AV receiver and playing a movie with Dolby TruHD sound streaming by the BDP.
I have seen speeds upto 18Mbps displayed for this sound alone, on my AVR.
It is not that an ordinary cable cannot transmit. The point here in buying a high end AVR and a high end BDP is NOT to miss even a single bit of the sound/video.
If the connectors are not good insulators and wires are not made of pure copper, some bits might be lost, especially if the length is more.
This may not produce a discernable difference most of the times..

But the point is ,would the hardcore audiophiles/videophiles have a sound sleep in the night knowing that they are missing out a few bits of data in their high end systems?:D

This is a common misconception that arises from the human psychology that what is costly must likely be better also.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back