50 years old! And still the greatest progressive rock album every made!

Can't believe this album came out way back in 1969!
Epic prog rock album ... thanks for sharing.

p.s. Just heard the album. Good to have their work available on all the streaming services.

Last edited:
On the audio side, great care seems to have been taken on the recording, this album has a dynamic range of DR:13, on the higher side. The MFSL vinyl version starts at more than €100 on Discogs.

On the audio side, great care seems to have been taken on the recording, this album has a dynamic range of DR:13, on the higher side. The MFSL vinyl version starts at more than €100 on Discogs.

While broadly I am there with you Jpereira, here is some trivia that I remembered from a long time ago (before google, passed through word of mouth would you believe it) and now so friendly available! From wiki below:

"Some time after the album had been completed, however, it was discovered that the stereo master recorder used during the mixdown stage of the album had incorrectly-aligned recording heads. This misalignment resulted in a loss of high frequencies and introduced some unwanted distortion. This is evident in certain parts of the album, particularly on "21st Century Schizoid Man". Consequently, while preparing the first American release for Atlantic Records, a special copy was made from the original 2-track stereo master in an attempt to correct some of these anomalies. (The analog tape copying process usually results in generation loss.) From 1969 to 2003, this second-generation "corrected" copy was the source used in the dubbing of the various sub-masters used for vinyl, cassette and CD releases over the years. The original, "first-generation" stereo masters, however, had been filed away soon after the original 1969 mixdown sessions. These tapes were considered lost until 2003"

Inspired by you, I listened to the album today. While the music is still superb, the lyrics really are uninspiring at times! (King Crimson 1, Steely Dan 2 (don't fight))

"I talk to the wind
My words are all carried away
I talk to the wind
The wind does not hear
The wind cannot hear"

Yikes!!!! Again, so ELP!

The beauty of Lark's is very little lyrics (relatively) and a wicked song in Easy Money - I just love the sound of the zip and the voice going "my my".

Vivek

Speaking of audio quality one shouldn't forget the mastery of the recording engineers at the venerable BBC. The recordings on this set, considering that it's 65-68 sound absolutely fantastic! I mean what advances except in number of channels and editing etc. have there been since? Even mono is still great!pink1.jpg

Here's Bill Hanley, the "Father of Concert Sound", mixing at Woodstock!1680979825_BillHanley.jpg.7c9066a9f0031ed92250fcce4fd2948c.jpg05-High-Tech-FOH-David-Marks.jpg
The 2019 50th anniversary release of the entire Woodstock concert minute for minute sounds absolutely stunning! woodstock-box.png

My point being that despite the technical limitations of the time people made records that are still unsurpassed.

Here's Bill Hanley, the "Father of Concert Sound", mixing at Woodstock!View attachment 41283View attachment 41284
The 2019 50th anniversary release of the entire Woodstock concert minute for minute sounds absolutely stunning! View attachment 41285

My point being that despite the technical limitations of the time people made records that are still unsurpassed.
While broadly I am there with you Jpereira, here is some trivia that I remembered from a long time ago (before google, passed through word of mouth would you believe it) and now so friendly available! From wiki below:

"Some time after the album had been completed, however, it was discovered that the stereo master recorder used during the mixdown stage of the album had incorrectly-aligned recording heads. This misalignment resulted in a loss of high frequencies and introduced some unwanted distortion. This is evident in certain parts of the album, particularly on "21st Century Schizoid Man". Consequently, while preparing the first American release for Atlantic Records, a special copy was made from the original 2-track stereo master in an attempt to correct some of these anomalies. (The analog tape copying process usually results in generation loss.) From 1969 to 2003, this second-generation "corrected" copy was the source used in the dubbing of the various sub-masters used for vinyl, cassette and CD releases over the years. The original, "first-generation" stereo masters, however, had been filed away soon after the original 1969 mixdown sessions. These tapes were considered lost until 2003"

Inspired by you, I listened to the album today. While the music is still superb, the lyrics really are uninspiring at times! (King Crimson 1, Steely Dan 2 (don't fight))

"I talk to the wind
My words are all carried away
I talk to the wind
The wind does not hear
The wind cannot hear"

Yikes!!!! Again, so ELP!

The beauty of Lark's is very little lyrics (relatively) and a wicked song in Easy Money - I just love the sound of the zip and the voice going "my my".

Vivek
Haha, Ok. Larks is a major Crimson album. But where "In the Court of the Crimson King" becomes significant is that nobody had heard anything like it before. Whereas when " Larks" came out people where rather familiar with the King Crimson sound.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back