50ft HDMI cable

rajatbhasin

Hi guys!
I'm looking for a 50ft HDMI cable to connect my DVDP with the PJ. I ordered one from ebay US, got it imported but unfortunately its completely dead. Is anyone using a HDMI cable of that length?
Does anyone know where can I buy it in india ?
Also I need a composite video cable to connect the non hdmi video output to the PJ. I've checked the site for MDR elec but they don't have hdmi/composite cables of that lengh. Your suggestions are welcome.

Rajat

Hi guys!
I'm looking for a 50ft HDMI cable to connect my DVDP with the PJ. I ordered one from ebay US, got it imported but unfortunately its completely dead. Is anyone using a HDMI cable of that length?
Does anyone know where can I buy it in india ?
Also I need a composite video cable to connect the non hdmi video output to the PJ. I've checked the site for MDR elec but they don't have hdmi/composite cables of that lengh. Your suggestions are welcome.

Rajat

Well you on the max advisable length of HDMI. It has twisted pair of small gauge copper wire causing the signal to go down. These long cables are reported to be creating problems.

Anyways can you tell us why you need cable of this length. May be changing position of equipment would be a better idea. By increasing length you are degrading the quality.

Nevertheless, I saw one on 20N for abt Rs3000/-. Wont advise u after your experience.

If its a must for you to use cable this length there may be a possibility of using it with a booster.

As far as component cable is concerned i dont see any problem if you use cable of right gauge. Would suggest you to go for a DIY job. Its extremely simple. For 50' you may require a 12/14 gauge cable.

Try an hdmi extender

"An HDMI extender is a single device (or pair of devices) powered with an external power source or with the 5V DC from the HDMI source.[63][64][65] Long cables can cause instability of HDCP and blinking on the screen, due to the weakened DDC signal that HDCP requires. HDCP DDC signals must be multiplexed with TMDS video signals to be compliant with HDCP requirements for HDMI extenders based on a single Category 5/Category 6 cable.[66][67] Several companies offer amplifiers, equalizers, and repeaters that can string several standard HDMI cables together. Active HDMI cables use electronics within the cable to boost the signal and allow for HDMI cables of up to 30 meters (98 ft.).[63] HDMI extenders that are based on dual Category 5/Category 6 cable can extend HDMI to 250 meters (820 ft.), while HDMI extenders based on optical fiber can extend HDMI to 300 meters (980 ft.).[64][65]"

HDMI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HTH

Well you on the max advisable length of HDMI. It has twisted pair of small gauge copper wire causing the signal to go down. These long cables are reported to be creating problems.

Anyways can you tell us why you need cable of this length. May be changing position of equipment would be a better idea. By increasing length you are degrading the quality.

Nevertheless, I saw one on 20N for abt Rs3000/-. Wont advise u after your experience.

If its a must for you to use cable this length there may be a possibility of using it with a booster.

As far as component cable is concerned i dont see any problem if you use cable of right gauge. Would suggest you to go for a DIY job. Its extremely simple. For 50' you may require a 12/14 gauge cable.

Thanks for your response TaureanBull.
I want to run this cable through the wall to connect my Projector with the DVD player as both sit at the opposite ends in the room.
I've already throught about changing the position of the equipment but that does not seem to be possible as moving the equipment close the the PJ would mean moving all the furniture in the room.

Try an hdmi extender

"An HDMI extender is a single device (or pair of devices) powered with an external power source or with the 5V DC from the HDMI source.[63][64][65] Long cables can cause instability of HDCP and blinking on the screen, due to the weakened DDC signal that HDCP requires. HDCP DDC signals must be multiplexed with TMDS video signals to be compliant with HDCP requirements for HDMI extenders based on a single Category 5/Category 6 cable.[66][67] Several companies offer amplifiers, equalizers, and repeaters that can string several standard HDMI cables together. Active HDMI cables use electronics within the cable to boost the signal and allow for HDMI cables of up to 30 meters (98 ft.).[63] HDMI extenders that are based on dual Category 5/Category 6 cable can extend HDMI to 250 meters (820 ft.), while HDMI extenders based on optical fiber can extend HDMI to 300 meters (980 ft.).[64][65]"

HDMI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HTH

Thanks for your reply gobble. Is this easily available in India ? How much does it cost ?

Regards,
Rajat

I purchased a 10 m (34 ft) HDMI cable on eBay.In for Rs. 2650. You can buy two and a coupler device. BTW, why does it have to be so long?

Thanks for your response TaureanBull.
I want to run this cable through the wall to connect my Projector with the DVD player as both sit at the opposite ends in the room.
I've already throught about changing the position of the equipment but that does not seem to be possible as moving the equipment close the the PJ would mean moving all the furniture in the room.

I guessed so. IMO your best bet would be to go in for composite cable. Why dont u ask people who have established their HT rooms that how they have gone abt this issue? They will guide you for sure.

I purchased a 10 m (34 ft) HDMI cable on eBay.In for Rs. 2650. You can buy two and a coupler device. BTW, why does it have to be so long?

Hi Just4kix!
By any chance do you have the link for it ? Is the coupler easily available in india? How much is it for ?

Regards,
Rajat

afaik, component outputs will not be allowed to carry 1080p signals in future products due to some copyright restrictions etc.
Problem with taking rack closer to projector is - the length of speaker wire required for the fronts. Maybe you can try positioning the equipment rack mid-way, and spread your components vertically to save space. In fact if you have it closer to your seating position, it might be further helpful.

Edit:wrote composite when I meant component

Last edited:

Great!
I contacted the seller to see if he has a 15m cable. Also, I feel using just a coupler would not help as it would not boost the signals, which may degrade at this distance.

Regards,
Rajat

Ok guys I finally bought a 10m + coupler + 5m HDMI cables from the cables-etc guy on ebay.
They did cost me double the price I had paid for the 15m cable bought earlier but I did not have the patience to wait to import it again.
I spoke to the guy over the phone and he gave a good deal (better than that on ebay) and delivered the cables the next day.

Regards,
Rajat

Thanks for your reply gobble. Is this easily available in India ? How much does it cost ?

Regards,
Rajat

Its available in India through TrippLite dealer. HDMI over CAT5/6 is the best solution for distance over 30f. You can get in touch with one of their dealer across India

Authorized International Resellers

I would be spreading HDMI extenders through out my new house construction and hence I contacted Tripplite.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back