55 Inch OLED vs 65 Inch LED

Important question... how much do you want to spend? :) LG 65C9 is approx. 2L whereas Sony 65X950G is closer to 1.6L. You shouldn’t have unknown problem coming from Plasma experience unless you want to test new waters with LCD :) or have a lesser budget

IMHO If you are going to watch a lot in brightly lit living room during day time, avoid OLED which is not as bright as LED TV. I did side by side comparison in showroom with brightness adjustment set at par, it makes a lot of difference. If it is mostly for dark room home theatre of kind of watching, OLED is the king. This is apart from your take on burn-in issue.

Did you compare Sony OLED or LG?

Last edited:
Brightness in Sony sets changes backlight while in LG OLED, brightness is actually the black level setting. You should have changed the OLED light and left brightness in the LG at default. What you did was change the black level setting, and if you raised it in the OLED, that means you removed perfect blacks as brightness lifts black.

To what value did you set Brightness on the OLED?
I understood this before going for audition. I tried setting OLED light to various level, max too. This was tested in brightly lit showroom main area and also in a small mostly dark area. In dark area it was sparkling bright, I remember I was not able to watch for more than a few minutes. For various content qualities (SDR - DTH, HD, FHD), the brightness also changes a lot in OLED, where as a standard settins is enough to avoid tweaking while switching content in LED. I am not saying that OLED is inferior, it is my experience and understanding that OLED is more suitable to dark area (with appropriate settings) and LED is suitable for lit area (with appropriate settings).

I understood this before going for audition. I tried setting OLED light to various level, max too. This was tested in brightly lit showroom main area and also in a small mostly dark area. In dark area it was sparkling bright, I remember I was not able to watch for more than a few minutes. For various content qualities (SDR - DTH, HD, FHD), the brightness also changes a lot in OLED, where as a standard settins is enough to avoid tweaking while switching content in LED. I am not saying that OLED is inferior, it is my experience and understanding that OLED is more suitable to dark area (with appropriate settings) and LED is suitable for lit area (with appropriate settings).

I'm not contesting that for bright rooms LEDs work just fine.

Just wanted to point out that unless you compared Sony OLED to Sony FALD, changing brightness on LG OLED would have butchered the black levels.

Important question... how much do you want to spend? :) LG 65C9 is approx. 2L whereas Sony 65X950G is closer to 1.6L. You shouldn’t have unknown problem coming from Plasma experience unless you want to test new waters with LCD :) or have a lesser budget

Not to mention, any current OLED is going to be way brighter than plasma in most cases. So I don't think OP needs SDR to be in torch mode too.

Btw, "brightness" change in OLED seems like a setup issue. You can set up different inputs to have different settings on my LG C9, or apply the same values for all inputs. There's no fluctuation whatsoever if you do the latter. USB, in-built apps, PC via HDMI...remains consistent.

I can spend till 1.5 ish to 1.6 , that why I was fixated on the 55 incher C9 / B9 ..

The only major concern with OLED is the burn - in. Since after using Plasma for some quite good years , I was aware of this issue.

But burn-in isnt a major problem to be honest as many consider. In my plasma , once i start watching the content , the small fudges of logos from regional channels , they tend to disappear ( or technically i wont notice it that much ). So I am fine with OLED burn-in :D

I can spend till 1.5 ish to 1.6 , that why I was fixated on the 55 incher C9 / B9 ..

The only major concern with OLED is the burn - in. Since after using Plasma for some quite good years , I was aware of this issue.

But burn-in isnt a major problem to be honest as many consider. In my plasma , once i start watching the content , the small fudges of logos from regional channels , they tend to disappear ( or technically i wont notice it that much ). So I am fine with OLED burn-in :D

OLED burn-in is different than plasma burn-in. It's cumulative.

All you need to do is calculate when you'll hit 6,000 total hours for the same logo. That's when you can expect burn-in to start happening on 2019 and 2020 OLED.

Can you wait till Diwali, save a bit more, and then grab the CX for 1.8 or thereabouts...if not 1.7?

Can you wait till Diwali, save a bit more, and then grab the CX for 1.8 or thereabouts...if not 1.7?
I can wait till Diwali , but i am not sure whether i would be happy to spend those extra money for minimal increments in PQ. And i believe you are quoting CX 1.8 for 55 incher i beleive

I am in the same boat as you as my panny plasma recently went down due to A board issue and looks will have go for change.
As per my findings, coming from plasma best equi would be OLED as you would be use to natural viewing with any additional brightness which is not required.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back