> 55" which tv or will projector be a better idea?

Panasonic 4000 is end of life model.Panasonic 7000 is the new and good model. Also if you can go upto 3 Lacs there is a model WUX10 Mark II Canon its the topmost technology LCOS
There is nothing in the world above LCOS or DILA or SXRD. It can beat a Plasma TV any time

perfectly agree.....anytime best than a huge screen buying....

Since you will be having a dedicated room, it shows your passion for entertainment, your thought on projector is in right direction.

The bulb life is generally over 3000 hours, if the gadget is handled and maintained well then in most cases it should lead it's full life and not die prematurely. About using for long hours is also not going to be a problem keeping in mind that at a stretch one will not use the projector for more then 3 hours, in other words the next beaming will happen at least after a few hour or so.

About the full control on lighting, how does it work?

V

I am on the lookout for a tv.

Minimum screen size : 55"
Budget : Can stretch to 2.5L

Picture quality should be like the Panasonic plasma. This will be for my dedicated AV room where I will have full control on lighting. I don't have any fancy for 3d, wifi, usb and other non-visual gimmicks. I have enough devices that do that job. The tv will be connected to my HTPC/AVR/Apple tv through HDMI. Sound will come from Polk RTI A9, CSiA6 Center, FXiA4 surrounds. I also get the thought of going for a projector instead. But since this will be used for long hours, I am confused because of the low bulb life. What are the suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
While projector is a very good idea, my own experience also tells me its limitations:
  • The projector cannot replace a television.
  • It is cumbersome to darken the room, switch on PJ, etc. Unless the room is really dedicated and by 'dedicated' means, room is not used for any other purpose, has permanent darkened atmosphere, permanent screen, etc.
  • the projector will never match the black levels, contrast, PQ of any TV (although it does beat the size/wow factor)
  • because 90% of the TV channels are SD, the projected picture looks bad
  • best suited to watch uninterrupted program like a movie

The limitation factor is there in most of the things in life, all we can do is to take the ground which suits us the best.

It is indeed a open knowledge that a projector can never replace a television and similarly a TV can never ever replace a projector.

I think it is not cumbersome to darken the room as curtains all of us have, all we need is to get up and draw them, switching on the projector is also not cumbersome after all we have to just click the remote like we do for television or with other gadgets.

For a dedicated room there is virtually no need to have the room darkened completely while watching a movie, in-direct lights or with dimmer mode etc can easily be used as long as they are around 5 feet away from the screen. While a permanent or should we say a fixed screen is not a must, one can also have a roll down screen and can be operated by remote, if this is cumbersome then one can opt for trigger option.

Further the dedicated room need not be restricted for only movie purpose, it can be used for other purposes if the need be.

There will be always some small plus points for watching movie via TV but huge pluses exist watching via projector, so the small plus points over TV get completely bashed.

It is rightly said by fellow members that to watch regular TV via projector is not a good idea by any standard.

In a nutshell watching movies via projector are the way to go forward and this most of the projector owners will agree instantly.

V.

Last edited:
[*]the projector will never match the black levels, contrast, PQ of any TV (although it does beat the size/wow factor)
[/list]

one confusion:eek:
but kix the projectors we see in good multiplexes ..their colors and blacks and contrast,overall pq is much much better than a tv...although that kind of pq is only offered by very high end ht projectors by jvc/infocus high end models
off couse a projector of say 50k rs will never match a 50k rs tv picture quality

some movies pq which I watched in theters I printed in my mind....I always try to find the same astonishing moment while a tv hunt is going on..and i try with my files of the same movies...but unable to re capture the same colors...in tvs..although I have not personally seen very expensive panels..mostly around 1 lakh and below...thats also true.

We need to importantly realize that buying a projector or TV is only half the entertainment won if proportionate money is not allocated to speakers, accessores, good sitting arrangement, acoustics, ambiance etc. In other words if budget etc is a issue then it is always better not to go for a projector but settle for the ever green display source which is none other then a TV.

The home theater projectors from Rs.75,000/- onward offer a very decent picture quality, it is needless to say that with expensive projectors the quality is likely to be more better but then we need to notice that if we are buying higher end projector then other things also of the room should live up or manage a middle ground.

The multiplexes are doing business so in some areas we can not compete with them on entertainment front yet with a decent projector etc it is much better in most cases to watch movies in our dedicated room atmosphere or be it a planned living room.

V.

one confusion:eek:
but kix the projectors we see in good multiplexes ..their colors and blacks and contrast,overall pq is much much better than a tv...although that kind of pq is only offered by very high end ht projectors by jvc/infocus high end models
off couse a projector of say 50k rs will never match a 50k rs tv picture quality

Last edited:
Back