> 55" which tv or will projector be a better idea?

mbhangui

I am on the lookout for a tv.

Minimum screen size : 55"
Budget : Can stretch to 2.5L

Picture quality should be like the Panasonic plasma. This will be for my dedicated AV room where I will have full control on lighting. I don't have any fancy for 3d, wifi, usb and other non-visual gimmicks. I have enough devices that do that job. The tv will be connected to my HTPC/AVR/Apple tv through HDMI. Sound will come from Polk RTI A9, CSiA6 Center, FXiA4 surrounds. I also get the thought of going for a projector instead. But since this will be used for long hours, I am confused because of the low bulb life. What are the suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Are you going to watch lot of HD movies or TV content(DTH)? If it is more of movies, you should go for projector as you already have dedicated room with good sound sources. With your budget you can buy panasonic/epson/optoma PJ's in India with warranty/peace of mind.

If its more of regular tv program, TV will be a better choice.

Hi,

Are you going to watch lot of HD movies or TV content(DTH)? If it is more of movies, you should go for projector as you already have dedicated room with good sound sources. With your budget you can buy panasonic/epson/optoma PJ's in India with warranty/peace of mind.

If its more of regular tv program, TV will be a better choice.

It will definitely not be connected to any kind of STB. It will be connected to the HTPC and also need to serve as a primary monitor for the HTPC. Most of my leisure time gets spent on listening to music. My worry is that Projector will not serve duty well as the primary display for the HTPC.

it shd be a pj at this good budget...........dont worry about bulbs..5000 hr is cool.also u can buy 2 pjs a very high end costing 2 lakh and occasionnally see movies. and another led powered(dell/acer/etc.) costing 40k,,,,,,,,,for music vedie and rough use purpose.............leds will last longggg like min 30k hours....

btw at ur budget u wilol get 65 inch plasma......why 55 inch.......anwway buy pj...

it shd be a pj at this good budget...........dont worry about bulbs..5000 hr is cool.also u can buy 2 pjs a very high end costing 2 lakh and occasionnally see movies. and another led powered(dell/acer/etc.) costing 40k,,,,,,,,,for music vedie and rough use purpose.............leds will last longggg like min 30k hours....

Thanks. I did not know about long life of the LED bulbs. Any suggestions/model/make ?

btw at ur budget u wilol get 65 inch plasma......why 55 inch.......anwway buy pj...

I meant that I cannot go below 55" because I had a 55" RPTV for 9 years, which I had to discard due to my transfer to Pune. Now anything smaller than 55" looks small to me. 65" is more than welcome :yahoo:

Looks like that the verdict is in favour of Projectors for large viewing size. I just have to shake away the mental block of using a projector. OK then which projector? I am getting at Soundscape, Pune Mitsubishi HC-4000 for 109000 + motorized screen (8' by 6') for 27500 + ceiling mount + hdmi cable + cabling for ~ 30000. HC-4000 has a bulb life of 5000 hrs in eco mode. The replacement lamp costs $ 250.

I have seen lot more good reviews for Optoma HD 33. Is that a good projector?

I am a total noob wrt projectors. FM Prosenjit mentioned projectors with LED lamps with 30K hours of life. I understand from little reading that LED lamps suffer from brightness but will LED projectors give the same quality?

Last edited:
will LED projectors give the same quality?

No way you can compare it to HC-4000 / Optoma 33. Is this going to be your normal tv or is it only for movies? If it is for movies, better connect a small monitor with HDMI/VGA in for selecting the movies / music and use a good projector for movie watching.

For normal tv viewing, buy a 55" plasma as it can be used with normal lighting.

No way you can compare it to HC-4000 / Optoma 33. Is this going to be your normal tv or is it only for movies? If it is for movies, better connect a small monitor with HDMI/VGA in for selecting the movies / music and use a good projector for movie watching.
Strange it may sound, but I don't watch TV except for Arnab Goswami's screams between 9PM to 9:30 PM. I want to use this mainly as the primary display for HTPC and watching movies using XBMC. While watching movies, I want the best possible PQ in 2-3 lacs

For normal tv viewing, buy a 55" plasma as it can be used with normal lighting.

From whatever demos I have experienced, I love plasma. Gives much better color than LCD/LED tvs. My heart is in favour of plasma.

So back to square one. Plasma or Projector? If plasma, is panasonic the best option in India? Which models?

JVC high end projectors are very very expensive in india..
otherwise infocus IN82 is very good dlp projector...try anirbaps thread in blu ray .com...he is owner of the particuler model....that is under 1.5 lakh i think....so at 3 lakh u are going to get advanced models of the series...also if u are a plasma lover u must go for dlp based than lcd based...........same lcd vs plasma case....just read dlp vs lcd..

Last edited:
if you have 3lakh budget, go for a Pana 4000 with an anamorphic lens to get the best for movie watching and use a small HD monitor to select the movie.

If your TV watching is limited to Arnab, dont spent for PQ, even you can use a small TV and spend the rest for the PJ.

if you have 3lakh budget, go for a Pana 4000 with an anamorphic lens to get the best for movie watching and use a small HD monitor to select the movie.

If your TV watching is limited to Arnab, dont spent for PQ, even you can use a small TV and spend the rest for the PJ.

This sounds to be the best of both world. When you say Pana 4000, is this what you are referring to?
Panasonic PTAE4000U High Definition Home Theater Projector

ptae4000u.jpg

EDIT: I found a thread discussing Pana 4000
http://www.hifivision.com/home-theatre-projectors-screens/10373-panasonic-ae4000.html

Last edited:
dont want to digress - but wanted peoples opinions on projectors that dont cost a bomb.

since my primary display for watching TV is my XT50 - is this worthwhile getting these projectors for occasional movie watching - Here are the specs:

(1) Project shouldnt cost more than 15K
(2) It will be projected on a white wall
(3) It will be watched by normal folks - who cant differentiate between 420P and 1080P

do you think its worthwhile or its just a waste of money and would rather tell people to save and buy a projector costing 1000 dollars?

Here are few options where people have given really great reviews - all are not even 720p though.

Amazon.com: ViewSonic PJD5123 SVGA DLP Projector 120Hz/3D Ready, 2700 Lumens, 3000:1 DCR: Electronics

Amazon.com: ViewSonic PJD5133 SVGA DLP Projector - HDMI, 2700 Lumens, 3000:1 DCR, 120Hz/3D Ready, Speaker: Office Products

http://www.amazon.com/Epson-Projector-Portable-lumens-brightness/dp/B005LMWP82/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_4

http://www.amazon.com/Epson-EX3210-Projector-Portable-brightness/dp/B005J31BDS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_4

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-EY-JBU01-009-X1161P-3D-DLP-Projector/dp/B004GVYJJC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_10

Last edited:
And a rejoinder to the above post by me.

I know that white wall can never replace a screen - but during construction of a room assuming i will use one of the walls for projection - is there anything I can do to better the experience ( in terms of finishing of the wall or the kind of paint....etc?)

google projection paint....very good. its supergoo or like that name ..i forgot..
otherwise normal solution is all wall black/dark cherry/dark violet and projection area only matte white normal distemper by asian paints etc.but finishing by wall putty/plaster of paris shd be very fine.
if can make cielings black...its better.
and no robin blue in white paint..local painters have a bad habit of doing that....

at 15k its hard to get a pj.....unless second hand.or there is e gate pj at 17k i think...can be used for all time tv viewing...as there is no burden on pq.btw if u are into diy..within 15k can make one....thats a different story.if interested start a new thread in diy area.I will reply

Nothing like a projector for watching movies and the projector is equally bothersome for watching plain tv. That is my personal experience.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

And a rejoinder to the above post by me.

I know that white wall can never replace a screen - but during construction of a room assuming i will use one of the walls for projection - is there anything I can do to better the experience ( in terms of finishing of the wall or the kind of paint....etc?)

You will have to paint the wall with non-reflective paint. In US special paint for projection walls is available. Not sure over here.

Panasonic 4000 is end of life model.Panasonic 7000 is the new and good model. Also if you can go upto 3 Lacs there is a model WUX10 Mark II Canon its the topmost technology LCOS
There is nothing in the world above LCOS or DILA or SXRD. It can beat a Plasma TV any time

Nothing like a projector for watching movies and the projector is equally bothersome for watching plain tv. That is my personal experience.

Thanks. Can you take a look at the links from Amazon that I pasted. These are not even 720p ones but I guess for normal folks for occasional movie watching it seems to pass - atleast based on reviews at Amazon. Do you think its worth risking for 15K or less

To the original topic, VT series plasma are as good as projector. As your budget is high enough, You can give it a try 65" VT series Panasonic would be a good buy.

Also Sony launched its forst 4K and will be available in India soon. That 84" with 4k resolution. But at $6000 it would be bit over budget for you.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back