65" 4K, Non-OLED TV with best overall performance - Panasonic GX800 ?

jvskmad

My first post !

About 10 Years ago, I bought a Panasonic 42" Plasma TV based on guidance from this forum, thanks to all members ! It performed great till it died a few weeks ago.

Started looking for a 65" TV and surprisingly found that Panasonic is back with great offerings this year competing both in Non-OLED and OLED segments. But have not found a lot of review content either on internet or on Ytube. But still, I found decent advice on YT from a UK reviewer HDTVTest based on which, I am inclined to think about GX800. I am not an expert or familiar with a lot of technical stuff though I heard a lot of technical stuff in the YT review.

One of the reasons for Panasonic is its great performance for SD content. We are interested in watching a lot of our favorite old Bollywood and Tollywood movies (many I have found on Prime Video..)

I also found one thread which had a lot of praise for GX750. Would like to know the opinions from you all on GX800 vs GX750. These are the differences I have found so far from specs/brochure (literally). Could not find the manuals so far.

1. Panel Drive - 4K 1800 Hz BMR in GX800 vs 4K 1500 Hz BMR in GX750
2. Multi HDR Support*2 - HDR10+/HDR10/HLG/DolbyVision/HLG Photo*3 in GX800 vs HDR10+ signal support/HDR10/HLG/DolbyVision/HLG Photo*3 in GX750
3. 4K Local Dimming in GX 800 vs 4K Dimming in GX750
4. Speaker Output 20W in GX800 vs 30W in GX750.
5. 'Extreme Color Gamut' only in GX800
6. Screw-less Design in GX800 vs Elegant Black Design in GX750.

Can anyone help me, if the differences above are worth considering GX800 over GX750 as the cost could be over 10K more for GX800 ? So far, I am unable to find a place in Hyderabad where I can check these 65 inch models in a shop. Anyone from Hyderabad knows where I can check these ?

Also, would like to know if there are better versions from LG & Sony with similar features and performance.

Thanks
Siva

Siva,

Welcome to the forum! Good luck with your TV search.

Lot's of options out there but one feature you much check is compatibility with online services like Hotstar, Netflix, Amazon Prime etc Some of the TVs have issues with connecting to these services. In which case you have to factor in an Amazon Firestick or a Google Chromecast device.

Regards.

Siva,

Welcome to the forum! Good luck with your TV search.

Lot's of options out there but one feature you much check is compatibility with online services like Hotstar, Netflix, Amazon Prime etc Some of the TVs have issues with connecting to these services. In which case you have to factor in an Amazon Firestick or a Google Chromecast device.

Regards.

Nikhil,

Thanks for the wishes.

Yes, the models I have mentioned have even been certified this year by Netflix. Have Prime, Alexa and Google Assistant support as well... have lots of good features... like Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos as well...

Oh is it a big issue ? What other types of panels we see in other brands in Non-OLED versions ?

VA panels have better contrast but poorer viewing angles. Samsung's better panels touch 6000:1 static contrast. IPS panels are max 1500:1, which is really poor.

How about Samsung Frame TV around 75k

Better than IPS for me, but decent only for SDR content. HDR without local dimming is useless. OnePlus TV does have local dimming, but no concrete info about the number of zones or local dimming performance as of yet. LG B9 is selling for 1.15 right now I'm TataCliq. That's the cheapest TV I would personally considered. I saved up for an OLED this year. Waited for months before finally getting a C9. Also had as short stint with Metz OLED.

Better than IPS for me, but decent only for SDR content. HDR without local dimming is useless. OnePlus TV does have local dimming, but no concrete info about the number of zones or local dimming performance as of yet. LG B9 is selling for 1.15 right now I'm TataCliq. That's the cheapest TV I would personally considered. I saved up for an OLED this year. Waited for months before finally getting a C9. Also had as short stint with Metz OLED.
Typically I am currently seeing good OLEDs of size 55" priced around what good 65" non-OLEDs are priced.
How troubling are burn-in issues with latest OLEDs and would you still prefer a 55" OLED to a 65" non-OLED - in terms of experience and PQ ?

Typically I am currently seeing good OLEDs of size 55" priced around what good 65" non-OLEDs are priced.
How troubling are burn-in issues with latest OLEDs and would you still prefer a 55" OLED to a 65" non-OLED - in terms of experience and PQ ?

OLED absolutely! I hate the bad contrast of even VA panels as I like watching in dark environment. It's more immersive. 2019 panels have an even bigger red sub-pixel, and LG has rightly kept brightness similar to previous models even though the size of all's pixels overall has also increased slightly; aperture ratio is the term of I'm not mistaken. So 2019 panels will be the most burn-in resistant. If you watch content via dth only for 4-5 hours, as they have their logo on permanently, odds of burn-in are low for the first 4-5 years at least. 7 hours daily might push that to 2-3 years, which is problematic. So take an OLED based on your usage. Since I'll only watch content via streaming apps and some video gaming, I'm not concerned about burn-in at all.

OLED absolutely! I hate the bad contrast of even VA panels as I like watching in dark environment. It's more immersive. 2019 panels have an even bigger red sub-pixel, and LG has rightly kept brightness similar to previous models even though the size of all's pixels overall has also increased slightly; aperture ratio is the term of I'm not mistaken. So 2019 panels will be the most burn-in resistant. If you watch content via dth only for 4-5 hours, as they have their logo on permanently, odds of burn-in are low for the first 4-5 years at least. 7 hours daily might push that to 2-3 years, which is problematic. So take an OLED based on your usage. Since I'll only watch content via streaming apps and some video gaming, I'm not concerned about burn-in at all.
Thanks for the response, that helps. We don't watch a lot of regular TV content mostly streaming content.
How good is LG C9 in terms of upscaling non-4K content and for normal or bright lit room usage ?
Does AI really is adding value - to sound or PQ or it is just hype ?
Sound on C9 is really good or you need external speaker system even for regular TV usage ?

Thanks for the response, that helps. We don't watch a lot of regular TV content mostly streaming content.
How good is LG C9 in terms of upscaling non-4K content and for normal or bright lit room usage ?
Does AI really is adding value - to sound or PQ or it is just hype ?
Sound on C9 is really good or you need external speaker system even for regular TV usage ?

Except AI brightness, which changes brightness based on ambient lighting, don't use any AI picture settings as they can change the creator's intent, especially in SDR. Dynamic tone mapping will help in HDR. Motion settings are also customizable on LG sets, and they have caught up with processing leaders. Smooth gradation is also a separate setting in 2019 sets. I'm going to have that on medium and keep noise reduction, both MPEG and digital, turned off. Upscaling is usually good even in cheaper Chinese TVs. Don't worry about it. For many publications, LG C9 is the best TV of 2019. Go for it!

According to reviews, AI sound helps in enhancing the soundstage in some cases. How different it is from trusurround or dolbysurround settings that do the same thing via psychoacoustics, I don't know, but I expect it to be similar only. Sound is better than many TVs, but obviously, you'll benefit from a good soundbar or sound setup if you want high quality audio, especially if it's in a big room. Since mine will be in a tiny bedroom, I don't anticipate getting anything else. Currently LG is also offering a soundbar. It adds 10k to the price, but that soundbar otherwise costs 20k.

Except AI brightness, which changes brightness based on ambient lighting, don't use any AI picture settings as they can change the creator's intent, especially in SDR. Dynamic tone mapping will help in HDR. Motion settings are also customizable on LG sets, and they have caught up with processing leaders. Smooth gradation is also a separate setting in 2019 sets. I'm going to have that on medium and keep noise reduction, both MPEG and digital, turned off. Upscaling is usually good even in cheaper Chinese TVs. Don't worry about it. For many publications, LG C9 is the best TV of 2019. Go for it!

According to reviews, AI sound helps in enhancing the soundstage in some cases. How different it is from trusurround or dolbysurround settings that do the same thing via psychoacoustics, I don't know, but I expect it to be similar only. Sound is better than many TVs, but obviously, you'll benefit from a good soundbar or sound setup if you want high quality audio, especially if it's in a big room. Since mine will be in a tiny bedroom, I don't anticipate getting anything else. Currently LG is also offering a soundbar. It adds 10k to the price, but that soundbar otherwise costs 20k.
Great. Thanks for all inputs. Will take look at the model soon and check for the best price locally as well..

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back