65 inch confusion - Samsung Crystal AU9070 or Sony X90J or VU Cinema Action

Oxy

Currently own a 10 year old 720p (HD Ready) Panasonic plasma, so badly need an upgrade.

Have an L-shaped sofa in the living room, viewing distance from the TV is going to be between 8 feet to 14 feet depending on where you are seated on the sofa. Room gets quite bright during the day hence OLED is not an option.

Budget is around 1.2 lakhs. Models shortlisted are:

1. Samsung Crystal AU9070: I saw this selling at 86k on the Samsung corporate website including cashbacks and discounts. This is atleast 20k cheaper than what I have been able to negotiate with any dealer. Does anyone here own this model? It looks pretty good for the price, my only concern is the 350 nits of peak brightness.

2. VU Cinema Action TV: Seems good value for 60k, comes with 3 years warranty. So a good option if I wish to save some money and invest on a decent soundbar.

3. Sony X90J: The final option is to manage with my existing plasma for another 3-4 months, wait for this model to drop down to reasonable price levels (currently costs about 1.5 lakhs) and then pull the trigger.

I am basically torn between buying the Samsung now, or waiting for the Sony to be sensibly priced. The corporate offer on the Samsung ends tomorrow, and the price for the AU9070 is looking very attractive.

Thanks for reading, suggestions would be very helpful.

Last edited:
I am basically torn between buying the Samsung now, or waiting for the Sony to be sensibly priced. The corporate offer on the Samsung ends tomorrow, and the price for the AU9070 is looking very attractive.
While I don't own the AU 9070, we have the AU 7700K which for me is pretty decent and I have not found any issues so far after purchasing in August last year. Picture quality is decent for my needs. But I only watch movies once in a way . Hence my watching is very minimal and I don't go too deep regarding picture quality as long as it is decent overall.
I would suggest going to the showrooms and judge for yourself if it fits your needs. Other FM's with more knowledge about TV specs could help you.
Pls consider the Samsung Frame model too if it fits in your budget as that may have better picture quality and refresh rate.

Currently own a 10 year old 720p (HD Ready) Panasonic plasma, so badly need an upgrade.

Have an L-shaped sofa in the living room, viewing distance from the TV is going to be between 8 feet to 14 feet depending on where you are seated on the sofa. Room gets quite bright during the day hence OLED is not an option.

Budget is around 1.2 lakhs. Models shortlisted are:

1. Samsung Crystal AU9070: I saw this selling at 86k on the Samsung corporate website including cashbacks and discounts. This is atleast 20k cheaper than what I have been able to negotiate with any dealer. Does anyone here own this model? It looks pretty good for the price, my only concern is the 350 nits of peak brightness.

2. VU Cinema Action TV: Seems good value for 60k, comes with 3 years warranty. So a good option if I wish to save some money and invest on a decent soundbar.

3. Sony X90J: The final option is to manage with my existing plasma for another 3-4 months, wait for this model to drop down to reasonable price levels (currently costs about 1.5 lakhs) and then pull the trigger.

Thanks for reading, suggestions would be very helpful.
X90J is a FALD and so it trumps the other two. Going down in price - no i dont think so. They may release an X90k or something like that and say it has snake oil extra as a feature and get the price to 1.6-2.0 lakhs. This X90j is Sony's flagship as this year 9500 series was retired. You could get demo pieces for a lesser rate maybe. But getting dealers to reduce further for a Tv with 0 playing hours is unlikely for this model. Those other two TVs don't stand against this. But you could get a Hisense FALD U6G within your budget.

I would suggest you to check 65 inch Sony X85J . Will fit within your budget as well. Check rtings review of x85J and also its comparison with x90J. Should help you decide whether paying ~30k premium for x90J makes sense or not.

X90J is a FALD and so it trumps the other two. Going down in price - no i dont think so. They may release an X90k or something like that and say it has snake oil extra as a feature and get the price to 1.6-2.0 lakhs. This X90j is Sony's flagship as this year 9500 series was retired. You could get demo pieces for a lesser rate maybe. But getting dealers to reduce further for a Tv with 0 playing hours is unlikely for this model. Those other two TVs don't stand against this. But you could get a Hisense FALD U6G within your budget.
Makes sense, thanks.

The X95K Miniled is supposed to be coming this year, and I will happily pay 1.5L for that one. Definitely not for X90K.

One member here scored an X90J 65 incher for 1.2L last Diwali, so I think it will drop in price once the X90K comes. Just need to wait patiently, which is hard to do.

Makes sense, thanks.

The X95K Miniled is supposed to be coming this year, and I will happily pay 1.5L for that one. Definitely not for X90K.

One member here scored an X90J 65 incher for 1.2L last Diwali, so I think it will drop in price once the X90K comes. Just need to wait patiently, which is hard to do.
He may have got a demo piece. Be careful during fag end of inventory cycle. Demo pieces are not bad either for LCD LED panels but you would have to add extended warranty as you never know how he has used the TV in display. OLED demo sets are a big no as he could have displayed same content over and over which would limit the lifetime of individual pixels and could cause burn ins if uniformly pixels were not illuminated. (Static content)

U6G Hisense 65" comes to 80k range. A FALD for that price must be a no brainer I think. Unless you think you need a brand name of the big three.

U6G Hisense 65" comes to 80k range. A FALD for that price must be a no brainer I think. Unless you think you need a brand name of the big three.
The competition certainly appears to be building up among the budget brands that are trying to give FALD for less.

Does this one look value for money?

The competition certainly appears to be building up among the budget brands that are trying to give FALD for less.

Does this one look value for money?

Looks good and packed with features. A complete deal. But Hisense U6G features in Rtings comparison charts but Vu does not. Vu is a company that's run by some Indian expats. A lady CEO with a great vision is the incumbent owner of this company. It has good TVs but somehow they don't get the required brand image and is looked upon as a use and throw solution.

Looks good and packed with features. A complete deal. But Hisense U6G features in Rtings comparison charts but Vu does not.
Yeah but from what I have heard, the U6G that is available in India is kind of a watered down version of the U6G that sells in the US. So those Rtings comparisons are pretty much irrelevant.

Yeah but from what I have heard, the U6G that is available in India is kind of a watered down version of the U6G that sells in the US. So those Rtings comparisons are pretty much irrelevant.
Vu is not bad I guess. One thing as a Vu owner (it was bought by a tenant of mine from me, so i don't have it anymore), i did not get any faults. And it's motion smoothening made it look like a video camera feel and not an ARRI or other 35mm film camera (soap Opera effect). It grows on you though. After sometime you will find that hard to miss once you are used to it. It gives a 3D feel.

Please share any source you have for this information.
Because I recommended this tv to one of my friend thinking it's same as that rtings reviewed.

Please share any source you have for this information.
Because I recommended this tv to one of my friend thinking it's same as that rtings reviewed.

U6G sold in India is NOT the same as the U6G reviewed by RTings. Here's the discussion devoted to this model:

U6G sold in India is NOT the same as the U6G reviewed by RTings. Here's the discussion devoted to this model:
If your assumption is based on the review posted there, then I would suggest to ignore it.
She talks the same subjective non-sense like any other Indian reviewer without any credible measurements.
Well, the icing on the cake is she miscounted the number of dimming zones.
You can clearly see there are 8 vertical columns and 9 horizontal rows, making a total of 72 zones.
Not 64 as she says....
I stopped watching then and there.

Now, that review atleast shows the indian version is better at least on paper ( vs U6G sold in NA has 32 dimming zones for 55" and 60 for 65" and 75" sizes)

Hi, Presently i am using Toshiba U7950 55" tv. My room is partially (80% )dark, looking to upgrade with a used OLED. Used OLED not available at my budget . But i am getting a good deal on 3 month used FALD Sony x90j 55" @80k. Is it worth consider this x90j instead of OLED at this price?

Hi, Presently i am using Toshiba U7950 55" tv. My room is partially (80% )dark, looking to upgrade with a used OLED. Used OLED not available at my budget . But i am getting a good deal on 3 month used FALD Sony x90j 55" @80k. Is it worth consider this x90j instead of OLED at this price?
Did u try lg A1 55"?

From your list, get the Sony.
If you are open to options, the Panasonic 65JX850 is a superb LED TV. It sits just below the JX950, which is top of the line for their led lcd range.

From your list, get the Sony.
If you are open to options, the Panasonic 65JX850 is a superb LED TV. It sits just below the JX950, which is top of the line for their led lcd range.
Can you please point me to a store that sells Panasonic TVs in Bangalore? Thanks for all the help!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back