7.1 HT Speaker system interest check

7.1 Home Theater Speaker System to pair with Denon 2310 for 375sft dedicated HT room.

• KEF Q600c + KEF Q800ds + Velodyne EQ Max 15"

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Polk CSi A6 + Polk FXi A6 + Velodyne EQ Max 15"

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Others

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters
Friends,

While I was waiting for the Sonodyne demo, which didn't happen till now, I started to lookout for more options. Then I came across lots of articles that talked about the issues with a typical center channel speaker design. The point that really caught my attention is that the MTM (Mid-Tweeter-Mid) setup in a typical center channel speaker that is kept horizontal, makes the sweet spot very narrow. This is a major drawback for me as my room is pretty big. So I started research on alternatives and started looking for using book shelf speakers for LCR in a home theater setup. Then I found many instances where people have ditched the horizontal MTM center channel speaker and went with identical bookshelves or floor standers for LCR.

So I just took a radical decision to ditch dedicated MTM horizontal center channel and go with bookshelves all around for my 7.1 setup. This might be a crazy experiment, but I like to try different things :). Now to mitigate the risk of my experiment, I chose the bookshelves that can be easily sold if my experiment doesn't workout. I just did an impulsive buy today and here is what I got

2 pairs of KEF Q300 for front LCR. I couldn't buy 3 x Q300 as ProFx only sell them in pairs. So got 2 pairs. ProFx said, they can arrange for a buy back of the extra Q300.

2 pairs for KEF Q100 for side and rear surrounds.

The reason I chose KEF Q300 is that they are one of the very few speakers I fell in LOVE the very first time I heard them. Every time I keep hearing them, I always used to feel that they sounded better and fuller than my KEF iQ7 floor standers :). I always felt KEF Q300 is one of the best value for money speakers.

Total damage for 4 pairs of speakers is Rs 1,19,000/-.

I already have the Sub - Velodyne EQMax 12. AVR is Denon 2310. BDP is Oppo 105.

The speakers will arrive tomorrow and I will try to set them up right away.

I will start the home theater build next week and I will start a thread on that as well. I am actually spending more money on acoustics than I spend on speakers :).

Thanks,
John.

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back