81db = 1 lakh fine + 5 years jail term

Haha... we pay exorbitant taxes to buy kit, and again pay fines on playing it

Not really.

The act ( http://envfor.nic.in/downloads/public-information/noise-pollution-rules-en.pdf) says peripheral noise of a privately owned sound system shall not exceed 5dB over prescribed ambient standard (which is 45dBa(Leq) for a residential area at night (55 daytime)).

You have grounds to complain if it is 10 dBa over, Interesting information!

If you want to deal with that horribly colored boomy bass from a cheap sub you now know how to :p (which is of course not saying that you should)

and ofc IANAL.

ciao
gr

Whats new in this? Dhan dhan you play music at midnight, police have special place for you, lock up.

Good move by police. All members of hifi should be scared now. If someone is missing you know where to find them.

I did not know it could be five years + 1 L. I thought it would be some wrap on the knuckles type thing. Also I did not know that the police would take it seriously.

I know that this story does not make any general point. Of course http://www.hifivision.com/images/smilies/redface.gif

ciao
gr

My Neighbor asked me whether I sold My audio Gear, after Few Months of acoustic treatment. I think adding absorbers and making the dedicated room sound proof would be a good idea. Now, I am considering Closing the windows as well. We Need to maintain good relations with Local PS apart from your less noisy Neighbors to keep listening without fear I guess, this is how it works in India finally, Unfortunately. But the case you have mentioned should have been one rare instance person of playing it really Loud at odd hours I guess.

BTW what position is the 81db calculated ? at your Room or from the adjacent public road or Neighbor house where it is causing the disturbance?
Will the Loudspeaker disturbances in early morning are covered under the same rule?

As per EN ISO3746 standard the noise level shall be measured at 1m distance from the equipment. This is in general for industrial equipment. Not sure will it applicable for Audio gears.

I hope I need not worry... my usual listening level is about 75db.

As per EN ISO3746 standard the noise level shall be measured at 1m distance from the equipment. This is in general for industrial equipment. Not sure will it applicable for Audio gears.

I hope I need not worry... my usual listening level is about 75db.

That's a technical specifications of noise level measurement. What is the legal specifications for measurement?

The Act mentioned 10dBA above the permissible limit is punishable. That means 65dba would be punishable ; it doesn't specify how its measured & where? Because 65dba would be very less for the listening area. It indicates recorded at the place of complainant but doesn't state it explicitly. Any other sources which can clarify the doubt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now, I am considering Closing the windows as well.<snip>
BTW what position is the 81db calculated ? at your Room or from the adjacent public road or Neighbor house where it is causing the disturbance?
Will the Loudspeaker disturbances in early morning are covered under the same rule?

As per EN ISO3746 standard the noise level shall be measured at 1m distance from the equipment

I have my windows and doors closed when I am playing music. It is not a favor my neighbors appreciate. Or return. My main objective of not disturbing anyone is however achieved.

The text of the act is here http://www.envfor.nic.in/downloads/public-information/noise-pollution-rules-en.pdf

IANAL ofc.

The specified Air Quality Standards in respect of Noise

in Limits in dB(A) Leq * for a Residential area are 55 (D) and 45 (N).

According to the act "The peripheral noise level of a privately owned sound system or a sound producing instrument shall not at the boundary of the private place exceed by more that 5dB(A) the ambient noise standards specified for the area in which it is used"

As for complaints you have grounds if the noise level exceeds the ambient noise standards by 10 db(A) or more for the zone and the authority is to take action against the violator in accordance with the provisions of these rules and any other law in force

ciao
gr

but how will cops prove you were the one playing the music?

as soon as bell rings & you see its them turn off all your equipment. how can they prove it wasnt some other neighbor that the sound was coming from ?

but how will cops prove you were the one playing the music?

as soon as bell rings & you see its them turn off all your equipment. how can they prove it wasnt some other neighbor that the sound was coming from ?

I'd make careful measurements with three witnesses before knocking on the door

There are other issues, for instance define private property. I pay for the cleaning and maintenance of all common spaces including the corridors in the next block. So if I want to can I play my music loud into those spaces. I would not do that but there are several uncivil <bleep> with horribly boomy televisions who do just that (BTW I have been considering sound proof windows and not cops to deal with them)

ciao
gr

ciao
gr

Back