90's Kids - Post your favourite music, videos, memories ......

A Lovely song from ARR's 'Puthiya Mugam'.
My wife's favorite song.

Such a stark contrast in acting between this (Revathi) and the previous song (Sawali Saloni - both Ritu Shivpuri as well as Kamal Sadanah). In the 90’s, to get a lead role in Hindi films you had to be a star kid (Shahrukh and Madhuri being notable exceptions). The consequent poor acting in these films has to be ignored while watching these melodious songs!

My top film album of the 90’s: Maachis where Vishal Bharadwaj spun magic around Gulzar’s penmanship.

Outside of Bollywood, IndPop was replacing the Ghazal phenomenon of the 80’s as an alternate popular genre. The arrival of music TV channels made music videos popular and Pop could leverage videos better than any other genre. Eventually though, IndiPop waned (most singers were pretty average) in the 00s as film music staged a bounce back and Sufi became the new alternate.

The Goan Remo Fernandes was one of the better Pop singers with a great sense of rhythm. Enjoy one of his Konkani songs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Till 90s we used to rely on DD's chitrahar only as a broadcasting medium for bollywood song videos.
I used to wake-up early to watch morning chitrahar on DD.
'Bar Bar Dhekho' was frequently telecaste by DD. Also very good tele serials, Nookkad, Dekh Bhai Dhek, alif laila, jaban sambalke etc etc. No politics, no violence, no hate propagandas, no debate on news channels. That was the golden period of TV.

When Zee tv started their broadcast followed by star network, Jain tv (was famous for their late night movies :p), the scenerio charged.

Suddenly lots of music videos started flowing through MTV, Zee tv etc. Till that time we used to watch these movie videos only in cinemas or through video cassettes and briefly on DD.

Many small domestic pop/rock groups erupted in this period, like you mentioned Remo Fernandes ( I watched his live concert at Belgaum), Gary lawyer, Baba Sehgal, colonial cuisines, Lucky Ali etc etc.
They gave some nice albums/ songs too.

After that my favourite era of Kumar Sanu, Udit narayan, Alka Yagnik and music directors Nadeem-Shravan, A R Rehman started. The indpop couldn't meet the standards of bollywood music. Slowly the era of indpop faded away.
We have seen changes in the music trend every decade or so. In the beginning theatres then cinemas, radios, reel to reel and then vinyl were the source of movie music. Then we had cassettes, CDs, MP3 and now digital.

Things keep changing with time, and we should explore n enjoy all that it brings our way.

Just enjoy the music.:)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back