A Blind date to a Life Changing Experience - My Story of Owning TORVIN

Ajitsank

Warning: I am Novice when it comes to Audio & HI Fi Equipment’s. The brief will not have any technical Jargons. If you are looking for that-Stop right here and move on. The timeline indicated below might not be an exact.

I have been using a Yamaha RXV 350 primarily for 2 channel music listening since 2002. Many years I was dependent on the cube speakers (5.1 Channel) which was bought bundled with Yamaha RXV 350, was not at all fun listening through these tiny speakers. In 2013 got hold of an assembled box speaker from my in laws house and had that connected to the RXV 350, which kind of improved the SQ tad bit, the music sounded better, but seriously fatiguing. I have never been satisfied with kind of sound heard from this combination. Frankly I have never pondered as to what was an alternative for this.

Covid 19 put us all in lock down, this is when the reality dawn on me that listening music in my current setup is not an enjoyment and alternative needs to be looked at, the reason it dawned this late, as lot of time was spend on listening music as there was nothing else to do, I am no movie buff or OTT addict. In September of 2020 I started researching on what could be done to make my music listening pleasurable. Read lots of reviews, subscribed to lot of YT Channels, by end of December I had decided that I need to get a pure 2 channel amplifier and good speakers. Further researching and analyzing my spend I zeroed in on;

1. Audiolabs 6000A and Wharfdale Evo 4.1 Speakers
2. Yamaha R-N803+ Elac Reference book Shelf

I was inclined towards the first combination as I have been using a Yamaha for very long time and needed a change. By this time, it was February 2021. I had called HIFi Mart to place order was told both of them are coming in to stock in April 2021 or May 2021. Checked with them for booking and was told they would let me know once the stock comes in to India. So, the wait began

Primary source was the CD Player or the Alexa Echo devices- (was using Echo for streaming) As I learned more during this research phase, I understood that Echo device are not a great source for streaming. Looking for a cheaper alternative I had to choose from

1. Yamaha WXC 50 (Not in stock anywhere and no idea when stock would come)
2. Amazon Echo Link (No reviews at all anywhere)
3. Arylic S50 Pro (The price fit my budget and features fit, quite a bit of positive reviews). Decided to go for it. Looked up online and found DIY Audio Chennai sell this. Called them up and nobody could give me in detail about the features etc. Read more about it in Arylic website, wrote to them and was intimated it is out of stock and the new S50Pro + is coming into stock soon. In April it came in stock in the direct Arylic website and placed order for it. The streamer was delivered to me in flat 15 days.

While waiting for the Audiolab and Wharfdale coming into stock, I was wanted to do some research on Indian Manufactures , essential under the assumption that should be able to get it at CHEAPER PRICE (Typical Cheap Mentality I guess) (Wrong to assume the cheaper price part). I started looking and reading about it. The below products came into view

1. Norge for Amplifier
2. Indiq for Amplifier and Speakers
3. Torvin for Amplifier and Speakers
And few others which was not given much thought of.

Read lot of details on Norge for amplifier and Indiq in HIFIVision, rave reviews of both the products. I was more inclined towards Indiq than any other brand, purely driven by the reviews. Hey REVIEWS do Influence in a big way. I called Amit, very kind gentleman. Spoke of the products shared some demo videos. No room for Auditioning any of the product as no one is got a demo place in Hyderabad and traveling anywhere was not easy. Again, read lot of reviews, Amit was kind enough to spend time with me sharing video’s explaining detail about the features and SQ etc. He quoted the price and I was shocked. Remember I assumed Indian brands are cheaper. Wrong to assume. If you need good quality, you better pay for it man.

Indiq was was looking like a dream. Better half fell in love with Indiq, costing for their top-of-the-line product was out of my scope. At this point I was left with Torvin. Just one review in HIFiVison from @sandeepsasi https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...in-euphonious-towers.75378/page-3#post-922935 . Got in touch with Sandeep and he had good things to talk about Torvin. He advised before you decide do an Audition. Now for me Auditioning is impossible as it would mean traveling to Chennai, which was impossible. Looking for more discussion on Torvin in Internet, there were hardly any, I am wondering why people are not talking about this product, but the company has an illustrious record with audio products for both commerical and residential. I was disappointed seeing no reviews or so to say rave reviews like IndiQ or Norge. However, I decided give them a call and talk to them. Now note I am getting closer to the arrival of stocks of Audiolab and Wharfdale, I do not have much room with regard to time to take a decision.

I call Torvin and lady picks call. Spoke about my need and she spoke on their products. The person has extensive and in-depth knowledge on product and in general audio gear and equipment, more driven on the technical aspects than on the sales front. No pushy Sales talk etc, gave the information of the products and send me few pictures and videos. For some reason my mind was tuned to Indiq, after all there are lots of people talking about it.

By now I had made up my mind that I will go with Indian manufacturer and will not spare my money for an international brand. Thus shelved the Audiolab and Whardale combination. That pressure was off my head.

Called Amt of Indiq again to see if there is any possibility of working on the price. He said that is out of question. I get a call the next day from Torvin as to if I need any more information and she had a suggestion, to showcase a New line of speaker which is better specced and the model is being introduced into market. The new model is called the Phantom II. This in combination with their integrated amplifier was good, but I wanted something better. I really liked the Phantom II speakers.

I asked if they would have a Dual Monoblock amplifier. To which they said they would have to make one for me as they don’t have a ready stock of Dual Mono Block. Asked for the price. The price sounded OK to me and acceptable. No much room for Negotiation. Multiple threatening them to go with another buyer resulting in no change in the prices quoted, I decided to take a blind plunge into a Product and a Company which had One review in HifiVison and zero discussion anywhere. Why I did that, God only knows.

WE are in fag end of April 2021 Now. I am truly convinced that I will go with Torvin instead of IndiQ. Call them up and decide on the delivery time line and advance payment. Delivery is 30 to 50 days. Order confirmed for;

• TDM 500 Dual Mono Block
    • 175 watts / 8 ohms
    • 250 watts / 4 ohms
  • Phantom II Speakers
    • Type: Dual 6 inch 2-way hifi tower
    • Low-frequency driver: 6-inch x2
    • High-frequency driver: 1 inch fabric dome x1
    • Recommend amplifier power (watts): 30-300 watts
I transfer money and within a Week we are in Thick of Second Wave, total lock down. Nothing moving. Mid of May I call Torvin. I was politely told no movement nothing happening. I feel saddened.

IndiQ Group Buy Scheme starts to happen during this time. Looks attractive in paper, my mind is wondering Cancel it and go for Indiq in GB. I call the lady in Torvin and she has a grim story, called Mr.Thankachan. He had a grim story too, due to the Pandemic- Death, Destruction and everything that can go wrong, has gone wrong. Employees getting effected by Covid from his vendors passing way etc. I understood his predicament. Not in a position to push for delivery. He tells me if you can wait, please do wait or else he will arrange to return the advance. Something in me believed in him and said I will wait. 3 Months pass by with nothing changing. Bi-Weekly follow up from my end. I still wait it out for them to get their house in order. August 2021 request if they can give me a firm answer. They say 10 more days. That 10 days turns a full 1 month. Now I am more saddened. The day I feel something needs to be done, I get the first Images of the Amplifier and the speakers. Boy O Boy this looks good. A day later I get few demos on line. Happy listening to something rather than nothing. Mr.Thankachan calls, as soft as a human being can, he tells he has no answers for the delay as they are still grappling with employee and vendor issues.

First Sight of TDM 500
1634315606906.png
First Sight of Phantom II
1634315625659.png
Finally in October I hear all ready for shipment News. I am over joyed. I get first glimpse of all ready Torvin System
1634318236361.jpeg
Top of Line packaging too; An impenetrable packing. Multilayer of foam, bubble wrap, thermocol, 2 layers of carton box. Man, this is serious business. No joke here. It was shipped to me from Chennai to Hyderabad like a Tank via Orange Travels. All documents and delivery details in order. The entire product came over night.
1634315698330.png1634315715104.png1634315726139.png

Pickup at Hyderabad. Unpacking Amplifier & Speaker was the Only Uphill task. It took my Son close to an Hour just to Unpack all. it was so well packed.
1634315809373.png1634315838860.png

Installation & Setup
Installation and Setup of all the equipment was breeze. Amplifier, Speakers and Arylic..all sailed through.
1634315984269.png1634315995101.png1634316471164.jpeg1634316608871.png

I am not an audiophile or a person who has deep knowledge to talk about any audio product that matters. As the wisemen always states” WHAT MATTERS IS YOU”. For me this is an outstanding product. Great fit and finish. No words can describe the fit and finish of both the Speakers and the amplifier. A million-dollar worth SQ from an Indian company, Backed by a great passionate human being. I have to give it to them for an over-the-top product. The WAIT has been worth every bit. Every instrument in a song can be differentiated, long hours of playing without ear fatigue. An all rounder and loved by every single person in the Family. Nobody is shouting to turn the volume down or shut the music Off.

My Chain: Arylic S50+Pro Streamer+PreAmp or CD Player>Torvin TDM 500>Phantom II

The Cables and Connectors include below items all bought and terminated by The Audiocraft (Another Gem of a Vendor)

1. Klotz Speaker Cable
2. MPS 310 RCA Cable
3. AECO RCA Plugs
4. Banana Plug CXBP-1R -Lockable Type
5. Braiding for Speaker & RCA
6. Speaker Cable Splitters

1634316701127.png1634316742046.jpeg1634316757855.jpeg1634316805052.jpeg

Streamer + PreAmp: Arylic S50+ Pro: An outstanding product for me for the price. Good sound too with number of options for Input and Output. Surely a Standalone DAC will make SQ better.

Few Parting Words on TORVIN:

LOVE This company. Collectively we should help our own Indian companies. Lucky that I did not go put my hard-earned money in an International brand. No offence meant.
I hope more people talk about Torvin, one among many Indian company that is offering top of the line product. If there are any fence sitters, do give this company a try.

Attachments

• 1634316217284.png
    1634316217284.png
    101.2 KB · Views: 149
  • 1634316244797.png
    1634316244797.png
    368.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 1634316706424.png
    1634316706424.png
    179.4 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Superbly written mate. Could feel the passion and emotion flowing through each sentence.
The products look superb and will bring years of music enjoyment.

Torvin has been around for decades and Mr. Thangachan is a well-known designer and all products are made in-house and are his work.
They are also one of the go to people for servicing hifi gears in Chennai.

Congratulations for ur purchase. The finish and visual of the speakers are truely amazing. Looks much better than many international brands. This is what I feel missing in most of the indian brands. Torvin products looks very professional including their logo and branding placement. I have never got a chance to listen to a Torvin speaker or amp but love their design. I wish the speaker had half speaker grill and not the full frontal grill.

Congratulations Ajit ! Very nicely written and hats off to your patience and thinking. Really liked the simplicity in the explanation for most of us to understand.
Regarding " novice", am not sure about that, as you are clear about what you want & as to what lacked in your previous setup. :)

Quite a journey... It's an excellent write-up for a novice :). There is a section to showcase/promote any product. You can probably ask the Trovin guys to advertise their product in that section for better visibility. Happy listening.
I do share the sentiment but that was unmistakebly blunt :D

Warning: I am Novice when it comes to Audio & HI Fi Equipment’s. The brief will not have any technical Jargons. If you are looking for that-Stop right here and move on. The timeline indicated below might not be an exact.

I have been using a Yamaha RXV 350 primarily for 2 channel music listening since 2002. Many years I was dependent on the cube speakers (5.1 Channel) which was bought bundled with Yamaha RXV 350, was not at all fun listening through these tiny speakers. In 2013 got hold of an assembled box speaker from my in laws house and had that connected to the RXV 350, which kind of improved the SQ tad bit, the music sounded better, but seriously fatiguing. I have never been satisfied with kind of sound heard from this combination. Frankly I have never pondered as to what was an alternative for this.

Covid 19 put us all in lock down, this is when the reality dawn on me that listening music in my current setup is not an enjoyment and alternative needs to be looked at, the reason it dawned this late, as lot of time was spend on listening music as there was nothing else to do, I am no movie buff or OTT addict. In September of 2020 I started researching on what could be done to make my music listening pleasurable. Read lots of reviews, subscribed to lot of YT Channels, by end of December I had decided that I need to get a pure 2 channel amplifier and good speakers. Further researching and analyzing my spend I zeroed in on;

I was inclined towards the first combination as I have been using a Yamaha for very long time and needed a change. By this time, it was February 2021. I had called HIFi Mart to place order was told both of them are coming in to stock in April 2021 or May 2021. Checked with them for booking and was told they would let me know once the stock comes in to India. So, the wait began

Primary source was the CD Player or the Alexa Echo devices- (was using Echo for streaming) As I learned more during this research phase, I understood that Echo device are not a great source for streaming. Looking for a cheaper alternative I had to choose from

3. Arylic S50 Pro (The price fit my budget and features fit, quite a bit of positive reviews). Decided to go for it. Looked up online and found DIY Audio Chennai sell this. Called them up and nobody could give me in detail about the features etc. Read more about it in Arylic website, wrote to them and was intimated it is out of stock and the new S50Pro + is coming into stock soon. In April it came in stock in the direct Arylic website and placed order for it. The streamer was delivered to me in flat 15 days.

While waiting for the Audiolab and Wharfdale coming into stock, I was wanted to do some research on Indian Manufactures , essential under the assumption that should be able to get it at CHEAPER PRICE (Typical Cheap Mentality I guess) (Wrong to assume the cheaper price part). I started looking and reading about it. The below products came into view

1. Norge for Amplifier

Read lot of details on Norge for amplifier and Indiq in HIFIVision, rave reviews of both the products. I was more inclined towards Indiq than any other brand, purely driven by the reviews. Hey REVIEWS do Influence in a big way. I called Amit, very kind gentleman. Spoke of the products shared some demo videos. No room for Auditioning any of the product as no one is got a demo place in Hyderabad and traveling anywhere was not easy. Again, read lot of reviews, Amit was kind enough to spend time with me sharing video’s explaining detail about the features and SQ etc. He quoted the price and I was shocked. Remember I assumed Indian brands are cheaper. Wrong to assume. If you need good quality, you better pay for it man.

Indiq was was looking like a dream. Better half fell in love with Indiq, costing for their top-of-the-line product was out of my scope. At this point I was left with Torvin. Just one review in HIFiVison from @sandeepsasi https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...in-euphonious-towers.75378/page-3#post-922935 . Got in touch with Sandeep and he had good things to talk about Torvin. He advised before you decide do an Audition. Now for me Auditioning is impossible as it would mean traveling to Chennai, which was impossible. Looking for more discussion on Torvin in Internet, there were hardly any, I am wondering why people are not talking about this product, but the company has an illustrious record with audio products for both commerical and residential. I was disappointed seeing no reviews or so to say rave reviews like IndiQ or Norge. However, I decided give them a call and talk to them. Now note I am getting closer to the arrival of stocks of Audiolab and Wharfdale, I do not have much room with regard to time to take a decision.

I call Torvin and lady picks call. Spoke about my need and she spoke on their products. The person has extensive and in-depth knowledge on product and in general audio gear and equipment, more driven on the technical aspects than on the sales front. No pushy Sales talk etc, gave the information of the products and send me few pictures and videos. For some reason my mind was tuned to Indiq, after all there are lots of people talking about it.

By now I had made up my mind that I will go with Indian manufacturer and will not spare my money for an international brand. Thus shelved the Audiolab and Whardale combination. That pressure was off my head.

Called Amt of Indiq again to see if there is any possibility of working on the price. He said that is out of question. I get a call the next day from Torvin as to if I need any more information and she had a suggestion, to showcase a New line of speaker which is better specced and the model is being introduced into market. The new model is called the Phantom II. This in combination with their integrated amplifier was good, but I wanted something better. I really liked the Phantom II speakers.

I asked if they would have a Dual Monoblock amplifier. To which they said they would have to make one for me as they don’t have a ready stock of Dual Mono Block. Asked for the price. The price sounded OK to me and acceptable. No much room for Negotiation. Multiple threatening them to go with another buyer resulting in no change in the prices quoted, I decided to take a blind plunge into a Product and a Company which had One review in HifiVison and zero discussion anywhere. Why I did that, God only knows.

WE are in fag end of April 2021 Now. I am truly convinced that I will go with Torvin instead of IndiQ. Call them up and decide on the delivery time line and advance payment. Delivery is 30 to 50 days. Order confirmed for;

• 175 watts / 8 ohms
    • 250 watts / 4 ohms
  • Phantom II Speakers
I transfer money and within a Week we are in Thick of Second Wave, total lock down. Nothing moving. Mid of May I call Torvin. I was politely told no movement nothing happening. I feel saddened.

IndiQ Group Buy Scheme starts to happen during this time. Looks attractive in paper, my mind is wondering Cancel it and go for Indiq in GB. I call the lady in Torvin and she has a grim story, called Mr.Thankachan. He had a grim story too, due to the Pandemic- Death, Destruction and everything that can go wrong, has gone wrong. Employees getting effected by Covid from his vendors passing way etc. I understood his predicament. Not in a position to push for delivery. He tells me if you can wait, please do wait or else he will arrange to return the advance. Something in me believed in him and said I will wait. 3 Months pass by with nothing changing. Bi-Weekly follow up from my end. I still wait it out for them to get their house in order. August 2021 request if they can give me a firm answer. They say 10 more days. That 10 days turns a full 1 month. Now I am more saddened. The day I feel something needs to be done, I get the first Images of the Amplifier and the speakers. Boy O Boy this looks good. A day later I get few demos on line. Happy listening to something rather than nothing. Mr.Thankachan calls, as soft as a human being can, he tells he has no answers for the delay as they are still grappling with employee and vendor issues.

First Sight of TDM 500
View attachment 63091
View attachment 63092
Finally in October I hear all ready for shipment News. I am over joyed. I get first glimpse of all ready Torvin System
View attachment 63109
Top of Line packaging too; An impenetrable packing. Multilayer of foam, bubble wrap, thermocol, 2 layers of carton box. Man, this is serious business. No joke here. It was shipped to me from Chennai to Hyderabad like a Tank via Orange Travels. All documents and delivery details in order. The entire product came over night.
View attachment 63093View attachment 63094View attachment 63095

Pickup at Hyderabad. Unpacking Amplifier & Speaker was the Only Uphill task. It took my Son close to an Hour just to Unpack all. it was so well packed.
View attachment 63096View attachment 63097

Installation & Setup
Installation and Setup of all the equipment was breeze. Amplifier, Speakers and Arylic..all sailed through.
View attachment 63098View attachment 63099View attachment 63102View attachment 63103

I am not an audiophile or a person who has deep knowledge to talk about any audio product that matters. As the wisemen always states” WHAT MATTERS IS YOU”. For me this is an outstanding product. Great fit and finish. No words can describe the fit and finish of both the Speakers and the amplifier. A million-dollar worth SQ from an Indian company, Backed by a great passionate human being. I have to give it to them for an over-the-top product. The WAIT has been worth every bit. Every instrument in a song can be differentiated, long hours of playing without ear fatigue. An all rounder and loved by every single person in the Family. Nobody is shouting to turn the volume down or shut the music Off.

The Cables and Connectors include below items all bought and terminated by The Audiocraft (Another Gem of a Vendor)

1. Klotz Speaker Cable
2. MPS 310 RCA Cable
3. AECO RCA Plugs

View attachment 63104View attachment 63106View attachment 63107View attachment 63108

Streamer + PreAmp: Arylic S50+ Pro: An outstanding product for me for the price. Good sound too with number of options for Input and Output. Surely a Standalone DAC will make SQ better.

LOVE This company. Collectively we should help our own Indian companies. Lucky that I did not go put my hard-earned money in an International brand. No offence meant.
I hope more people talk about Torvin, one among many Indian company that is offering top of the line product. If there are any fence sitters, do give this company a try.

It was an audition of a tube amplifier designed by Torvin paired with a full range which made me dive into speakers for Stereo else was very happy with my HP setup and Marshall:)

Amazing writeup and congrats on your purchase.

It was an audition of a tube amplifier designed by Torvin paired with a full range which made me dive into speakers for Stereo
Was it the setup with Marantz CD92 CDP, tube amp and 21 inch full rangers? It was a very revealing setup with great dynamics.

1. Norge for Amplifier

• 175 watts / 8 ohms
    • 250 watts / 4 ohms
  • Phantom II Speakers

First Sight of TDM 500
View attachment 63091
View attachment 63092
View attachment 63109
View attachment 63093View attachment 63094View attachment 63095

View attachment 63096View attachment 63097

Installation & Setup
View attachment 63098View attachment 63099View attachment 63102View attachment 63103

1. Klotz Speaker Cable
2. MPS 310 RCA Cable
3. AECO RCA Plugs

View attachment 63104View attachment 63106View attachment 63107View attachment 63108

Excellent write up good that you liked them .we can understand your agony of waiting for such long period . In the end what matters is a happy face on listening to the music .speakers really looks fantastic.good finish.enjoy your product.

Amazing journey @Ajitsank … very well written.
A big congratulations on your purchase buddy. Happy listening.
I see that they focused a lot when it comes to tiny attention to details too like fit and finish, packaging and the amplifier too looks classic. I have heard a lot of rave reviews about their speaker and very much itching to try one soon.

Once again, congratulations. It’s a great looking set to. Enjoy !!!! It’s Torvin time

Nice write up Ajit. And congrats for a great product. In my factory I am using Torvin satellite spk and their amp for the past 12 plus years. Not a single service needed so far. Hats off to Dr.Thangachan for his excellent service to the audio community.

Was it the setup with Marantz CD92 CDP, tube amp and 21 inch full rangers? It was a very revealing setup with great dynamics.
No Kannan , the speakers were something called RRR and source was Mac laptop. The guy is from Bangalore.

Crescendo in Mangalore wanted to deal with Torvin before the lockdown. I wonder how that went. Should give him a visit. Tempted after this review as I too am looking for power amps for my LR.

Super write up, Ajit!
You may consider yourself a novice to Hifi, but your passion for music is quite evident.
Here’s wishing you countless hours of listening pleasure :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back