Hi

Can you pls suggest a budget pre-amp.

I am ready to go the used way.

Few i have considered :

-Lyrita valve preamp
-NAD Monitor series 1600

pls give ur feedback.

Hi Bazee,

You just cannot buy a pre-amp independently and expect everything to work when you connect that to a power amp. The least that has to be considered is the output impedance of the pre and the input impedance of the power. The latter has to be much much greater than the former for the units to work well together.

Look at the discussion at the site http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-2847.html (especially the comments by "House de Kris"). It appears that a pre-amp with large output impedance will be very sensitive to the interconnect cable used to connect the pre with the power amp.

Can anybody comment on effect of tubes on the common wisdom that power amp input impedance should be at least 10 times the output impedance of the pre amp.

I am sure there are a few other factors that should come into play. You have listed active pre-amps. In case you want passive, then there are a few things more one needs to consider. Passive pre part is discussed in my amp thread.

Which power amp are you thinking of pairing your pre with? I know you were looking for a power amp. Did you get one?

Last edited:
Hi Bazee,

Which power amp are you thinking of pairing your pre with? I know you were looking for a power amp. Did you get one?

The power amp is McCormack DNA 125.

times of recession..... hence a budget preamp.

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back