A few queries on AVR+DVD HTS

tian

Hello everyone. This is my first post in this forum. I must appreciate that this forum has helped me immensely so far in changing my decision to buy certain products. For e.g. I have decided not to go for the integrated Sony HTIB which was being offered to me along with the Sony V-series at a discount, but instead go for an AVR+DVD combo.
So far I have narrowed down my search to the Yamaha RXV363 along with either Sony NS708 or the Phillips DVP5986 DVD player. I have a few questions which when answered will help me take an informed decision?
1. I now understand that HDMI passthru just takes the video signal from HDMI-in and passes it to the TV. Is this what the HDMI feature in the RXV363 will do? Does this mean that I will still need other cables to connect the DVD player to the AVR for sound?
2. What is the difference between HDMI Upscaling and HDMI Upconversion?
3. Is there an AVR on the lower side of Rs 25,000 which has HDMI Upscaling / Upconversion
4. I am from Pune. I know there is an Onkyo showroom in Pune. Would anyone tell me a good place in Pune to see/purchase Yamaha and other AVRs. If not Pune, I am willing to go to Mumbai
5. I now understand from this forum that the fantastic claims made by Tata Sky and DTH players of digital signals are all true only till the signal reaches the STB. After that dear old composite cables carry the signal to the TV. Is it possible to either use an AVR to receive the DTH signal instead of the STB OR atleast upgrade the STB signal thru the AVR to pass it thru the HDMI port?
Too many questions. I guess half knowledge kills more than ignorance? :eek: And to think that till yesterday I was believing the dealer that the Sony integrated system is the deal of the day?

Tian, welcome to the forum. Let us see if we can answer your questions.

tian said:
1. I now understand that HDMI passthru just takes the video signal from HDMI-in and passes it to the TV. Is this what the HDMI feature in the RXV363 will do? Does this mean that I will still need other cables to connect the DVD player to the AVR for sound?

Yes, what this means is that the 363 will pass whatever HDTV signal it gets from the sources (such as a DVD Player) including 1080p directly to the TV without any disturbance. Since the 363 has 1080p capable HDMI, you can connect it to the DVD Player with a HDMI cable, and to the TV again with an HDMI cable. You do not need any other cables.

This is assuming both your DVD Player and your TV have HDMI connections. If not, you can use component cable in one of the chains, but you will not be using the HDMI advantages then.

tian said:
2. What is the difference between HDMI Upscaling and HDMI Upconversion?

Upscaling is when a processor takes, say a 480i, 720i, 480p or 720o signal, and scales it up to 1080p. This is the highest that can be displayed on today's TVs that sport what is called a Full HD capabilities. They must have 1920x1080 pixels and be capable of understanding 1080p signals. Please remember not all scalers go upto 1080p. There are some that stop at 720p.

Upconversion is when a interlaced signal such as 720i is de-interlaced and converted into a progressive signal, mostly at the same ratio. Thus a 480i will be converted to 480p, and a 720i to 720p. A 480i will NOT be converted to 720p or higher.

tian said:
3. Is there an AVR on the lower side of Rs 25,000 which has HDMI Upscaling / Upconversion

I am not sure, but I very much doubt it. A better option is to get an inexpensive DVD player that upconverts to 1080p. You can get such players from Samsung, LG, Pioneer, and Samsung. All these players will be in the 5 to 8 thousand range.

If you are looking to upscale TV signals, I am afraid you cannot do that with a DVD Player. If this is important, you have to get a AVR that can upscale.

tian said:
4. I am from Pune. I know there is an Onkyo showroom in Pune. Would anyone tell me a good place in Pune to see/purchase Yamaha and other AVRs. If not Pune, I am willing to go to Mumbai

I will expect people from Pune and Mumbai to answer this question.

tian said:
5. I now understand from this forum that the fantastic claims made by Tata Sky and DTH players of digital signals are all true only till the signal reaches the STB. After that dear old composite cables carry the signal to the TV. Is it possible to either use an AVR to receive the DTH signal instead of the STB OR atleast upgrade the STB signal thru the AVR to pass it thru the HDMI port?

You can certinly connect STB to the AVR through whatever connectivity is available on the STB. After that, you can connect the AVR to the TV through an HDMI connection. IF you AVR has upscaling or upconversion processors, the signal will be scaled or converted. Otherwise, it will be sent as is to the TV.

tian said:
Too many questions. I guess half knowledge kills more than ignorance. And to think that till yesterday I was believing the dealer that the Sony integrated system is the deal of the day.

No issues with questions. We are all learning, and we will exchange information with each other to help each other. Every dealer will always say what he is selling is the best of the lot. I would always take what a dealer says with a large pinch of salt.

Cheers

what about speakers?
check onkyo in croma- if I am not mistaken AV Receiver with HDMI + 7.1 speakers available around 40 K pls just backcheck

Venkat. Thanks for taking time off and explaining everything so very well. Really appreciate it.

Hemant, I will check out the speakers today.

Bhuvan, thanks for the addresses of these stores. I will visit them today itself.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back