A lifetime of audio love

Hi Jayant, welcome to the forum. I am impressed by the neat design and upkeep of your shelves - they look elegant and thoughtfully made - audio discs none side, video on other. The equipment cabinet also looks very tasteful. The only concern I had was with respect to the TV positioning. Usually I've found a height where the 1/3rd height of the TV from the top (where the actor's faces usually are) matches the eye level in sitting position. This seems way high for long duration viewing. Perhaps the tall equipment cabinet necessitated this.

Also, when I read FM's talk of inherited music taste, I feel a tinge of sadness (what could have been! kind of feeling) inside me. There was not much of it at my home or nearby when I was growing up. Missed out on the early indoctrination, and started late in the hobby. Been catching up. But childhood memories are always special!

Hi Jayant, welcome to the forum. I am impressed by the neat design and upkeep of your shelves - they look elegant and thoughtfully made - audio discs none side, video on other. The equipment cabinet also looks very tasteful. The only concern I had was with respect to the TV positioning. Usually I've found a height where the 1/3rd height of the TV from the top (where the actor's faces usually are) matches the eye level in sitting position. This seems way high for long duration viewing. Perhaps the tall equipment cabinet necessitated this.

Also, when I read FM's talk of inherited music taste, I feel a tinge of sadness (what could have been! kind of feeling) inside me. There was not much of it at my home or nearby when I was growing up. Missed out on the early indoctrination, and started late in the hobby. Been catching up. But childhood memories are always special!
Thanks Sachin!
I haven't felt discomfort so far with the TV height - maybe I'm not watching long enough :D
Credit for the furniture goes to my wife - thankfully she enjoys music as much as I do!
I wonder if my discovery was unguided like yours, I would have absorbed more / different genres. Merit in both I guess

Thanks Puthuraja! As a kid I loved his music. That turned to rebellion and scorn in my teens and now I'm back in love with his collection. In a way I might be turning into my dad :)
For many of us, our Dad will be villain till we start earning and then he will become our guide and when we ourself become dad we realize that he is a true Hero. All man's life is an unsung history...
I still work hard in one or other way to be in my son's heart in future the place where I am keeping my dad now.

I wonder if my discovery was unguided like yours, I would have absorbed more / different genres. Merit in both I guess

It is interesting that you say that because mine is indeed an eclectic interest that cuts across genres. Never thought that being unindoctrinated could be a reason (as one is neither conforming, nor rebelling).

Hey Jayant,

Awesome setup.. I am myself planning to buy the same FS speakers for my new apartment in Bangalore. Can you tell me what is the best price you got them and from where in Bangalore ? Was it Mr. Palani from Audio Planet ?

Hey Jayant,

Awesome setup.. I am myself planning to buy the same FS speakers for my new apartment in Bangalore. Can you tell me what is the best price you got them and from where in Bangalore ? Was it Mr. Palani from Audio Planet ?
Hey Rajiv,
Thanks! Yes it was from audio planet. I think I got the pair for 1.3L
Took me a while to decide on them. Did several blind listening tests vs other brands and kept coming back to Triangle.

Hey Rajiv,
Thanks! Yes it was from audio planet. I think I got the pair for 1.3L
Took me a while to decide on them. Did several blind listening tests vs other brands and kept coming back to Triangle.
Ohh Yes buddy..I have also gone through the same...but its worth it.

Hey Jayant , Triangle brings back fond memories :) . It was my first pair of speakers when i got into serious listening almost a decade back. They were the Triangle Altea EX paired with an advanced acoustic amp and an electrocompaniet cd player. Had this set up for a while and i must say it was a pleasure every time i used to sit down and listen. lovely set up Jayant :)
cheers!
Anand

Hey Jayant , Triangle brings back fond memories :) . It was my first pair of speakers when i got into serious listening almost a decade back. They were the Triangle Altea EX paired with an advanced acoustic amp and an electrocompaniet cd player. Had this set up for a while and i must say it was a pleasure every time i used to sit down and listen. lovely set up Jayant :)
cheers!
Anand
Thanks Anand!

I'm quite relieved that Triangle's sound signature appealed to me the most. Turns out it was the cheapest option I was listening to in every blind test :p
They are a pleasure to listen to every single time. Couldn't agree more on that.

Hello All,

I've been a regular visitor to HFV for years and have learnt a lot from the diverse forums here.
Signed up a few months ago and it's only fair I introduce myself.

My dad planted the music seed when I was a kid - probably even before I learnt how to walk! I have fond memories of him recording and playing music on his R2R player all day long (I've still got that player with me, non-functional but that's for another post :))
Then there are vivid memories of his Telefunken LP player, back lit VU meters on the tape deck, his carefully curated LP collection and a large number of cassettes.
In short, music indoctrination started in my infancy :D

My first piece of audio equipment was a beat up, hand-me-down Sony Walkman I got from my eldest sister. From then on pocket money and piggy bank money would go into buying audio cassettes. I still remember my first cassette was the Dire Straits debut album!
Got my first job in 99' and could finally afford CDs (they were bloody expensive back then) and a modest Philips "micro hi-fi" system. My first CD was again Dire Straits the first :D
Always spending on equipment at the limit of my means, I moved from the shrill sounding micro system to a slighter louder Sony hi-fi system that had a 3-disc changer - remember the PMPO wars back then?! A sucker for all the hype :rolleyes:

In the early 2000s I took a DVD and subsequently Blu-Ray HT detour. From basic DVD players ( still expensive back then) to the first Philips Ambisound soundbar, which was my pride and joy, to my current Sony UBP-X800 Blu-ray player, movie watching has remained an occasional diversion from music.
Started out with a modest Denon AVR and Polk bookshelves, gradually added a sub, center and surround speakers. All the while my dad's vinyl collection was calling out to me from deep storage. Saved up and finally dived headlong into the vinyl rabbit hole with a Rega RP1 around 2008 and have been gradually collecting vinyl ever since.
The denon + polk combination was good for movie watching, but underwhelmed with music. So I started auditioning dedicated stereo setups and saving up moolah again! Took me almost 2 years to find what I liked and could afford. I've always found music to be an extension of my emotions, so less logic and more "feel" went into my current rig. The combination moved me and that was enough.
View attachment 41047

- Rega Planar 3 with Ania MC cart + Rega MC Phono
- Rega Brio stereo Amp
- Triangle Elara LN07 speakers
- Cambridge Audio DAC magic plus for CD playback
- The Denon x1400h in this picture is used only when I'm watching movies, which is very infrequent off late.
- Pioneer and Sony Blu-ray players stacked.
- Polk sub in the corner again hardly ever used nowadays
- (not in the picture) Polk tsi200 bookshelf speakers being used as surrounds

I'm glad to be on HFV! Although I signed up very recently, I've come here frequently over the years to learn about all things AV and remain ever eager to learn from the gurus out here.

Jayant
Welcome to this amazing forum.
Your setup looks great.
Did I missed to notice the centre channel there..?

Welcome to this amazing forum.
Your setup looks great.
Did I missed to notice the centre channel there..?
Thanks!
Eagle eyed spot :cool:
I got rid of the center channel once the Triangles came home. Was hardly ever used and these towers do an admirable job filling in

Welcome to the forum Jayant
Just curious, rega being just 50 WPC, is it able to drive the speakers comfortably?
May I also ask the specifications of the triangle speakers? Are these warm in nature?

Hello Jayant, welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing the wonderful write-up.

Brought back my memories too growing up on music indoctrinated into me by my cousins. Started by listening on Phillips Valve Radio playing the old 70s Hindi/Kannada numbers by my parents, followed by classic bollywood movie songs collection of 70s/80s on my Uncle's Vinyl to the Rock/Pop music of 70s/80s on my cousin's National Panasonic Cassette Player. All of these inspired me in putting together my own cassette collections of English/Hindi music followed by CDs in the early to late 90s on first an Philips Double Deck Cassette player followed by Car Deck stereo system (yes you read it right) and later an Akai HiFi Midi system Cassette/CD Player which was my favorite pass time apart from Cricket off course :) during my growing up years.

However over the years family responsibilities and career have taken over my time and space to be able to keep up with my passion for music. Though I still do keep listening to it on my Head Phones via Apple Music and Spotify. But you cant consider that as serious listening after being on this forum :)

But being hooked on to HFV and reading about write-ups like yours rekindles the old passion to get back to it full time and my goal is to have a decent dedicated music setup shortly inspired by this forum and people like you.

Welcome to the forum Jayant
Just curious, rega being just 50 WPC, is it able to drive the speakers comfortably?
May I also ask the specifications of the triangle speakers? Are these warm in nature?
Thanks Kumar!
Specs of the Triangle speakers :
  • 2.5-way bass-reflex audio system
  • Tweeter with silk dome 25mm
  • The two broadband speakers, 175 mm
  • Sensitivity: 91 dB
  • Frequency Response (+/- 3dB) 42 22 000 Hz ...
  • Power: 110 W
  • Nominal impedance: 8 ohms
  • Minimum impedanc: 4.1 ohms
  • Dimensions: 1056x198x313 mm
  • Weight: 18.1 kg
The Brio with these speakers sound like a match made in heaven! Those 50w per channel are plenty, believe me.
Hard to find the right adjective for their nature - I would say they're high on transparency

Hello Jayant, welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing the wonderful write-up.

Brought back my memories too growing up on music indoctrinated into me by my cousins. Started by listening on Phillips Valve Radio playing the old 70s Hindi/Kannada numbers by my parents, followed by classic bollywood movie songs collection of 70s/80s on my Uncle's Vinyl to the Rock/Pop music of 70s/80s on my cousin's National Panasonic Cassette Player. All of these inspired me in putting together my own cassette collections of English/Hindi music followed by CDs in the early to late 90s on first an Philips Double Deck Cassette player followed by Car Deck stereo system (yes you read it right) and later an Akai HiFi Midi system Cassette/CD Player which was my favorite pass time apart from Cricket off course :) during my growing up years.

However over the years family responsibilities and career have taken over my time and space to be able to keep up with my passion for music. Though I still do keep listening to it on my Head Phones via Apple Music and Spotify. But you cant consider that as serious listening after being on this forum :)

But being hooked on to HFV and reading about write-ups like yours rekindles the old passion to get back to it full time and my goal is to have a decent dedicated music setup shortly inspired by this forum and people like you.
Thanks for sharing! Going back to the music you love and doing justice to it with the setup it deserves is well worth the effort :)
That car deck stereo sounds like a jugaad worth writing about :D

Hello All,

I've been a regular visitor to HFV for years and have learnt a lot from the diverse forums here.
Signed up a few months ago and it's only fair I introduce myself.

My dad planted the music seed when I was a kid - probably even before I learnt how to walk! I have fond memories of him recording and playing music on his R2R player all day long (I've still got that player with me, non-functional but that's for another post :))
Then there are vivid memories of his Telefunken LP player, back lit VU meters on the tape deck, his carefully curated LP collection and a large number of cassettes.
In short, music indoctrination started in my infancy :D

My first piece of audio equipment was a beat up, hand-me-down Sony Walkman I got from my eldest sister. From then on pocket money and piggy bank money would go into buying audio cassettes. I still remember my first cassette was the Dire Straits debut album!
Got my first job in 99' and could finally afford CDs (they were bloody expensive back then) and a modest Philips "micro hi-fi" system. My first CD was again Dire Straits the first :D
Always spending on equipment at the limit of my means, I moved from the shrill sounding micro system to a slighter louder Sony hi-fi system that had a 3-disc changer - remember the PMPO wars back then?! A sucker for all the hype :rolleyes:

In the early 2000s I took a DVD and subsequently Blu-Ray HT detour. From basic DVD players ( still expensive back then) to the first Philips Ambisound soundbar, which was my pride and joy, to my current Sony UBP-X800 Blu-ray player, movie watching has remained an occasional diversion from music.
Started out with a modest Denon AVR and Polk bookshelves, gradually added a sub, center and surround speakers. All the while my dad's vinyl collection was calling out to me from deep storage. Saved up and finally dived headlong into the vinyl rabbit hole with a Rega RP1 around 2008 and have been gradually collecting vinyl ever since.
The denon + polk combination was good for movie watching, but underwhelmed with music. So I started auditioning dedicated stereo setups and saving up moolah again! Took me almost 2 years to find what I liked and could afford. I've always found music to be an extension of my emotions, so less logic and more "feel" went into my current rig. The combination moved me and that was enough.
View attachment 41047

- Rega Planar 3 with Ania MC cart + Rega MC Phono
- Rega Brio stereo Amp
- Triangle Elara LN07 speakers
- Cambridge Audio DAC magic plus for CD playback
- The Denon x1400h in this picture is used only when I'm watching movies, which is very infrequent off late.
- Pioneer and Sony Blu-ray players stacked.
- Polk sub in the corner again hardly ever used nowadays
- (not in the picture) Polk tsi200 bookshelf speakers being used as surrounds

I'm glad to be on HFV! Although I signed up very recently, I've come here frequently over the years to learn about all things AV and remain ever eager to learn from the gurus out here.

Jayant
A well written intro, a neat looking setup is all I say after reading & watching this pic. I can so relate to your writing here. Walkman, to Diskman to Woodstock floor standing and that PMPO :)

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back