A light-hearted essay on my audiophile journey/obsession

Going by your daily posts in the three ‘music I heard today’ kind of threads, I believe (and admire) that. Please share with us when and how you achieved the peace within to focus on music and music alone.

Thanks for the appreciation @SachinChavan I'm flattered and bemused to learn that "I have achieved the peace within to focus on music and music alone" in these stressful times! Let this be my closely guarded secret :D

Bhaskar, I really enjoyed this read when you posted it. Dont know how I missed that bit about psychedelic vs trippy..hahaha..I laughed so hard. This anecdote conveys something deeper and I found the analogy very witty.
Haha, yes. Thanks. Sadly it is a pain every migrant to West has to undergo, to see his cultural and history being reduced to a side note or some degrading marketing gimmick with semi-racist connotations. And thanks to globalisation, we can see that happening here in India as well (malls marketing Indian clothing as "ethnic wear"). We do it to ourselves :rolleyes:, its funny and profoundly sad at the same time.

Google suggested this piece to me for reading in the daily popup section today morning.
So I had already read it before logging into HFV for my daily fix.
That says something for the kind of searches (search = music nirvana ???) that I normally do. :)

Most of us may not have spent as much money and time as Bhaskar did in real terms, but didn't we all spend much much more in our dreams ? And aren't we continuing such lavish virtual spending everyday ? otherwise, why did Google baba suggest this to me for reading ? :p:p:p

Jokes apart, the article perfectly captures the agony and the ecstasy of our unattainable and never ending quest.
Its that rare "audiophile" write up which also makes you smile.......

Great stuff @essrand. Being in India for nearly all of my audiophile journey has left me with a great sense of fomo and questioning my life choices (why did I not become an engineer and do an MBA). Concentrating more on headfi over the last few years has eased that pain somewhat :)

So many times I have gone through this tug of war of being an audiophile and then a music listener. Every time I stream music to my bluetooth speaker (which I spent 6 months researching and then importing) I feel music is meant to be enjoyed, equipment is secondary. Then when I go and listen to the same song in FLAC (lossless audio) on my Stereo and I know why I got into this audiophile business in the first place.

And then my world is shattered when someone says but their Bose system sounds exactly the same.

While the pursuit of headphones is complete my search still continues for the end game stereo set up.
Thankfully I have still been able to enjoy my existing setup.

This article resonates and makes one smile!!

Last edited:
Google suggested this piece to me for reading in the daily popup section today morning.
So I had already read it before logging into HFV for my daily fix.
That says something for the kind of searches (search = music nirvana ???) that I normally do. :)

Most of us may not have spent as much money and time as Bhaskar did in real terms, but didn't we all spend much much more in our dreams ? And aren't we continuing such lavish virtual spending everyday ? otherwise, why did Google baba suggest this to me for reading ? :p:p:p

Jokes apart, the article perfectly captures the agony and the ecstasy of our unattainable and never ending quest.
Its that rare "audiophile" write up which also makes you smile.......

It's scary how Google baba know more about us than we ourselves. haha

Dear all,

I penned a light-hearted essay about my journey and this hobby that is so deeply addicting.

Would love for you all to take a read, and comment.

Perhaps your journeys are similar?

Cheers,
Bhaskar
Essrand, that was a lovely read! Of course it’s a struggle a lot of us here would relate with
Since I didn’t have a fat pay cheque when I was actively searching for my holy audiophile grail, I depended on trips, visits to various generous friends in the Hi Fi circle to further my exposure. I found a potential soul mate in Scanspeak drivers and Acoustic Portrait amplification. The latter became a reality with the help of some dear audiophile friends. Soon enough, the typical Malayali that I am, I befriended the Kuwait Dinar and brought home the Scanspeaks.
The friendship with the KD however left very little time for me to spend listening to music on the new gear and it did not escape me that I used to enjoy all types of music, resolution- no-bar, dynamic range no bar, when I had none of this. Since then, like you, I too have been focusing more on enjoying my music with the same setup with very little changes.

@essrand, really enjoyed your write-up.
Sometimes I do wonder how much time I was being mesmerized in listening as Music-lover and how much time I was being too analytical as an Audiophile.

I feel music is meant to be enjoyed, equipment is secondary. Then when I go and listen to the same song in FLAC (lossless audio) on my Stereo and I know why I got into this audiophile business in the first place.

And then my world is shattered when someone says but their Bose system sounds exactly the same.

My thoughts exactly..:)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back