A Must read book

gobble

Hello Folks

I just picked up a wonderful book titled "Bhairavi - The global impact of Indian Music" By Peter Lavezzoli. It describes how Indian musical gurus (too many to name) have profoundly impressed western classical & jazz musicians and bowled over critical music listeners over since the 1960s. It traces the recent influence of Indian Music in the western world and describes how some prejudices westerners had about other cultures ( read euro-centric superiority complexes ) got blown off as our maestros began touring the west.

Its really an un-put-down-able narrative detailing each maestros visit and behind the scenes happenings that lead to eye-opening experiences for westerners resulting in long term musical collaborations, explorations and experimentation.

Please look for it the next time your are in a book shop - chances are you wont put it down once you flip through it.

Regards

Last edited:
"Bhairavi - The global impact of Indian Music" By Peter Lavezzoli.

Interesting , Could be............but why we need a Firang to tell us that Ravi Shankarji, JsarajJi, Bhimsenji, Zakirji are great and world class ? Or is it that our defeated mentalilty still not ready to buy anything unless and until some 'Gori Chamadi' tells us to do so?

Just a thought.

Rupees 450 only. Google for it, lots of reviews of the book.

Heres one with a funny anecdote: Tag Archive for ‘Bhairavi: The Global Impact of Indian Music’ at Asian Window

"...After Harrison introduced them, the Indian musicians started off by playing a flurry of notes, drawing polite applause from the audience. Thank you, said Ravi Shankar. If you appreciate the tuning so much, I hope you will appreciate the playing more. :lol:

This book appears to be sold under two titles:

Amazon.com: The Dawn of Indian Music in the West: Peter Lavezzoli: Books

This is the one I got:

The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Opinion | West meets East meets West

Regards

Interesting , Could be............but why we need a Firang to tell us that Ravi Shankarji, JsarajJi, Bhimsenji, Zakirji are great and world class ? Or is it that our defeated mentalilty still not ready to buy anything unless and until some 'Gori Chamadi' tells us to do so?

Just a thought.

I agree with you. I am strongly averse to goraa chamdee sponsored viewpoints as well :) In fact I have an extensive book list that would rob any European of their notion of cultural superiority. For example see "Reorient" by Andre Gunder Frank http://www.rrojasdatabank.org/agfrank/reorient.html or
"The Eastern Origins of Western Civilisation" by Hobson. The Eastern Origins of Western Civilisation - Cambridge University Press

However this is a westerner's account of how North Indian classical music has begun influencing their musical culture. It is not a certificate of excellence awarded by a westerner. It is a most interesting account of inter-cultural dialog and I would urge anyone to see it for what it is and not with colored or tinted glasses :)

Cheers

Last edited:

Just a thought.

nope. Its our inferiority complex that makes us think that we shouldnt want anyone to tell whom they feel is good.
our society doesnt have a sizable number of people to encourage enough independent/creative works. Like indian ocean once said . . The target audience are truck drivers and the likes. . .
Till that changes it is good that west popularises some indian artists. Atleast now everyone knows ravi shanker , zakir hussain.. . That only helped to revive interest in that area, thereby encouraging more artists. Only thing is you are not allowed to say that you dont like either of them. . Or you get "the look":)

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back