a noob to speaker game, please be gentle, thanks!

I didn't heard dayton audio speaker, but I can say that taga harmony 606 se are good for casual music listening but don't expect deep bass from them, but it sufficient for normal listening.

Moreover, you can have a look at Jamo 360 series. They lack bass but fill every corner of your room with same sound. I have jamo s35 5.0 hcs and installed them as height channel, They gives the same experience as malls/theatre waiting areas. But keep in mind that you definitely need to pair them a sub to have good experience.
According to me (specifically my ears), music even without the very deepest bass that only a sub can produce can still be satisfying. Dont get me wrong, I totally subscribe to the line of thought that even a stereo setup requires a good sub to reproduce the entire spectrum but as @notsiddharth said, budget is a constraint. A sub can be added later on.

According to me (specifically my ears), music even without the very deepest bass that only a sub can produce can still be satisfying. Dont get me wrong, I totally subscribe to the line of thought that even a stereo setup requires a good sub to reproduce the entire spectrum but as @notsiddharth said, budget is a constraint. A sub can be added later on.
Yes I agree that deep bass is not required in every music track and sub can be added later, but jamo s35 lacks bass by a good margin and avr sets their crossover at 150hz, so, they are good for high frequencies. On other hand, taga 606f se can be used without a sub and owner can add sub later.

Hi,
Are you sure you wish to lie down in bed to listen to your music?

Lower frequencies tend to “fill” the room, but higher frequencies are closely associated with imaging, projecting a sound stage. My understanding is that tweeters and woofers need to be somewhat aligned (directional) to our ears to do this well.

if you are listening while lying down and wish to enjoy good quality audio you may need to mount speakers on the ceiling.
while this can be an interesting innovation, you may wish to consider a portable solution to your needs.

If listen to my music in bed I do it using my headphones (IEMs) (turning to sides is a challenge even with these). The sound stage with IEMs is somewhat limited, but a good BT receiver like FiiO BTR3 is tiny and can be lsurprisingly good.
yes i am planning to buy them specifically for that purpose. that is the thing, iems and headphones r a hobby of mine and i mostly listen to music on them (can't live without my HD650 or my fh7) but that is all i listen to music in. i wanted to get a set of speakers for when i don't want to put anything around my neck put on some 'Cigarettes After Sex' or 'Jo stafford' and just relax in my bed...
and if the music seem to come form this or that direction that would bug me alot so would any hiss or other noise that some speakers produce...

ok so till now i think i have to choose between Allo Dayton audio combo or Swans m50 (as m100 and m200 are currently unavailable). Swans seems to be simpler solution but many of u guys are weighing in favor of the Allo Dayton combo. from what i can read Allo vold d has 2 60watt amps in it(what does this mean)? would i need to change the amp if i want to upgrade my speakers in future? is their any other option for amp and what all cables would i need to connect them. and what about the Bluetooth receiver? any option for that? (i am sorry i am asking way too many questions).

yes i am planning to buy them specifically for that purpose. that is the thing, iems and headphones r a hobby of mine and i mostly listen to music on them (can't live without my HD650 or my fh7) but that is all i listen to music in. i wanted to get a set of speakers for when i don't want to put anything around my neck put on some 'Cigarettes After Sex' or 'Jo stafford' and just relax in my bed...
and if the music seem to come form this or that direction that would bug me alot so would any hiss or other noise that some speakers produce...
If you listen to music through HD650s, the BT speaker or soundbar route may be rather unsatisfying.

If you listen to music through HD650s, the BT speaker or soundbar route may be rather unsatisfying.
umm i think listing in bed i won't be that critical, i would just want the speakers to give me that warm fuzzy feeling. For more critical listening experience i would be sitting and would i connect it via a cable i guess.

ok so till now i think i have to choose between Allo Dayton audio combo or Swans m50 (as m100 and m200 are currently unavailable). Swans seems to be simpler solution but many of u guys are weighing in favor of the Allo Dayton combo. from what i can read Allo vold d has 2 60watt amps in it(what does this mean)? would i need to change the amp if i want to upgrade my speakers in future? is their any other option for amp and what all cables would i need to connect them. and what about the Bluetooth receiver? any option for that? (i am sorry i am asking way too many questions).

Just for my knowledge, why did you rule out BT speaker options like the Ikea Eneby or Bose Soundlink? They seem to fit your needs well: non-critical listening with the five conditions so articulately put in post #1. The understanding I got from your posts is that you wanted a plug and play, non-fussy solution, but seem to be getting dragged into components system full of attendant issues such as placement, imaging, cabling etc.

For the kind of musical interest you seem to have also look at the Marshal series of BT speakers: https://www.marshallheadphones.com/us/en/speakers/bluetooth/

Hope you end up getting what you need and don’t start wanting what you read.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi,
I think you may be a bit disappointed moving from Sennheiser 650hd to a set of speakers that are not somewhat comparable in terms of SQ. HD 650 being open back does stage wide.

Its worth taking some time to consider the important factors like your room size, it’s acoustic propertie, your listening position etc and then shortlist suitable speakers within whatever budget you have in mind. Otherwise you may find yourself upgrading quickly.

There are several experienced and helpful FMs who could advice you better if you share dimensions of your room, maybe pictures, some details of your source material, transport, amplification etc. A question frequently asked is to define as clearly as possible what you want to achieve in your bedroom in terms of audio qualit/experience and your budget.

i agree with DB1989 that coming from good quality headphones you may not be satisfied with BT speakers or sound bars for long.

I have not heard the Dayton Audio or Swans so can’t comment. But if you are going the powered speakers route, there are more and more WiFi networked powered speakers in recent years. I know ATC, KEF, Dynaudio, B&W, Dali all have powered bookshelves. There must be others for sure.

finally, I suggest buying only after auditioning. (At home in the room, if you can)

I think you may be a bit disappointed moving from Sennheiser 650hd to a set of speakers that are not somewhat comparable in terms of SQ. HD 650 being open back does stage wide.

i agree with DB1989 that coming from good quality headphones you may not be satisfied with BT speakers or sound bars for long.

That’s an assumption which could be very person-specific.

I own Beyerdynamic T1 headphones and its SQ is right up there with the best. But I still enjoy listening to my Bose Soundlink especially when I am relaxing/ want it to play in the background. Its fuzzy warmth is a welcome relief for me from time to time from my headphones and home stereo which have far better sonic qualities.

That’s an assumption which could be very person-specific.

I own Beyerdynamic T1 headphones and its SQ is right up there with the best. But I still enjoy listening to my Bose Soundlink especially when I am relaxing/ want it to play in the background. Its fuzzy warmth is a welcome relief for me from time to time from my headphones and home stereo which have far better sonic qualities.
I agree. its all quite subjective.
best to short list carefully, audition and decide.

hello i may come off as very ignorant but i don’t know where or to whom to ask this question. For the past month i have been searching for a speaker to listen to when i am in my bed but i have been thoroughly confused with all the terminology and types of speakers - 2.0, 2.1, 5.0, 5.1, near filed, studio monitor, tower speaker, home theater system, multimedia speakers etc etc. finally i brought an Edifier r1700db bookshelf speakers but they were near-flied and in using them i understood that they can’t be used tin the way i wanted to, so i finally returned them. this has brought me here. hope some you can find the time to help me out.

though i have been and audio enthusiast for many years, but it has been mainly in in-ear, on-ear IEMs and headphones. Here is what i want from my speakers. please let me know if its possible in my budget range.

1. room filling sound/ unboxy sound - as i want to listen o them when i am in bed mostly.

2. good vocals - i mostly listen to songs with vocal emphasis

3. bluetooth connective

4. no hissing sound at rest - the speakers should not produce hissing or high frequency sound when on idle mode. One of my cheap f&d speaker does it, just can’t stand it.

5. budget 10k to 20k - i'm a student, so have limited budget. thanks!

The swans M50W 2.1 might be a good choice if you want a plug and play system. Alternatively you can demo a Marshall Stanmore , which would exceed your budget by 3-4k but would be a worthwhile investment. Based on my demo easily outdoes the Harman bluetooth series and goes well with most genres.

I find the experience on speakers to be much better than my open ended headphones. Both are equally enjoyable but the speaker staging and presentation have taken my experience to a different level despite all the room limitations. Also HD650 have a very narrow soundstage compared to other open backs like hifiman / audio technica/akg,

Hi,

Its worth taking some time to consider the important factors like your room size, it’s acoustic propertie, your listening position etc and then shortlist suitable speakers within whatever budget you have in mind. Otherwise you may find yourself upgrading quickly.

There are several experienced and helpful FMs who could advice you better if you share dimensions of your room, maybe pictures, some details of your source material, transport, amplification etc. A question frequently asked is to define as clearly as possible what you want to achieve in your bedroom in terms of audio qualit/experience and your budget.

I have not heard the Dayton Audio or Swans so can’t comment. But if you are going the powered speakers route, there are more and more WiFi networked powered speakers in recent years. I know ATC, KEF, Dynaudio, B&W, Dali all have powered bookshelves. There must be others for sure.

finally, I suggest buying only after auditioning. (At home in the room, if you can)
I think you did not notice his budget.

umm i think listing in bed i won't be that critical, i would just want the speakers to give me that warm fuzzy feeling. For more critical listening experience i would be sitting and would i connect it via a cable i guess.
In that case, get any of the following bt speakers - marshall kilburn, jbl boombox, bose sound link revolve, harman kardon go play or the ikea one depending on whichever is being offered for the lowest price. They’ll all reproduce sound in an inoffensive manner within your specified budget.

I am thinking of going with dayton audio B652s. Are their any cheaper amplifier then the Allo one? Or something that also hasa bluetooth receiver?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back