A set-up query to HT system experts

murali

I am finally getting a Marantz AV-7701 processor to replace the Rotel RSP-1068 that has so far given me an excellent service. The two major reasons I decided on the upgrade: decoding the latest blu-ray audio formats as the Rotel does not extend beyond the DVD-range Dolby Digital and DTS, and my preference for balanced connections absent in Rotel's new processors like RSP-1570. I believe only the Marantz and Onkyo offer such facilities at budget prices though I know they are not fully balanced in the conventional style.
My blu-ray player is a Oppo BDP-93 and now I use its decoding capabilities by running its individual speaker outlets to the Rotel preamp inputs. This essentially bypasses the Rotel's processing and also results in a multitude of interconnects. I run a HDMI cable directly from the Oppo to a Pioneer Kuro TV and with the audio transmission disabled in the Oppo menu, the picture goes directly from the Oppo to the Pioneer, with the Rotel bypassed. As Oppo's manual says, I intend to now keep the video connection the same but connect the HDMI-2 of the Oppo directly to the new Marantz processor for the audio part. This is hoping that the Marantz sound decoding will sound better and it also removes the cluster of cables. Though Oppo says such a dual HDMI connection can be made, I am not sure whether the Marantz will work okay taking care of the sound part only. The Kuro is an excellent TV and I wish to avoid additional picture processing through the new processor, if possible. Anyone care to educate me on this?
It is also tempting to start thinking of selling off the Rotel processor along with their RMB-1075 amp I am using just to drive the surrounds only. My fronts are integrated through my music system and the center front and back are driven by my older Ayre power amp. But if I can dispose of the Rotels and Ayre, it may be a better bet to get a new multichannel amp like Anthem which is quite tempting.
But I don't know whether the Rotels will interest any folks. Or, I can plan to set them up with my other TV to watch normal DVDs.
Anyway, I look forward to experts' opinion on the new Maraantz set-up.

Thanks in advance and cheers.
murali

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back