A Silly Question

nitinbose

Hi Friends,

I've got an Onkyo HT system (Min. 110 Watts per channel, continous RMS at 0.9% THD Max) and a Sony television (KV-HFV 100), i.e the model that came with two separate speakers and a built-in FM receiver.

I'm still surprised to know that the TV produces a higher volume than the Onkyo receiver, when playing the same content (can be DVD-movie, music etc.)

The Sony volume scales from 0-100, and at a level of 25, the sound is enough to shake even the neighbours. For the onkyo to achieve the same volume and sound pressure, I have to set the volume at atleast 40 (the scale is from 0-80).

Please suggest. Does upgrading the speakers help?

I'm currently using the default speakers for both the systems.

Anyone obviously expects a higher wattage system to produce a more (atleast not lower :D) power sound at lower volumes compared to a system with a lower power.

Please suggest if there could be anything wrong..

Thanks,

Nitin.

Can you let us know the exact models numbers of both systems. I could not locate any Sony KV-HFV 100. Also if you look at the manuals, the last few pages will have specifications. See if you can let us know what the specifications are. In addition please let us know what the nominal impedance of the speakers are.

In addition let us know what is the wiring you have done for the speakers from the Onkyo. Have you wired them through the TV or directly to the speakers.

Cheers

Hi,

The exact model of the television is: Sony KV-21HFV100. This unit comes with an inbuilt FM receiver. The speakers are external, each unit has two woofers and one tweeters. The impedance is 6ohms.

The television also came with a bundled Sony DVD player! :). Ofcourse this is a separate unit.

I connect the dvd player to the television using stereo RCA cables, one for each channel, and one for the video.

The Onkyo unit is the HT-SR 800. I'm using the supplied speakers, rated at 8 ohms.

I'm using the above mentioned dvd player to connect to the Onkyo system as well, but using an optical cable.

If I wish to watch a movie / listen to music through the onkyo system, I would simply set the Onkyo to receive from the DVD player through the optical input, and everything works fine. The Television would be switched "OFF".
If I wish to watch a movie / listen to music through the television, the onkyo system would be switched "OFF" and the television would be switched "ON" and set to receive from "AV1".

The surprise here is that the televsion has a volume scale of 0-100, and for normal listening I would need to set it at a maximum of 15. 25 of 100 would disturb the neighbours!!!

However for the Onkyo unit, I have to set the volume at 16 for normal listening, and something like 30 would be enough to disturb the neighbours.
The volume scale is 0-80.

Or could this reflect the power gizmos the manufacturers play on us consumers? :D

You may also find the review on the televison at: http://www.mouthshut.com/product-reviews/Sony_KV-21HFV100-925053253.html

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back