A small monitor for my music PC

thatguy

Hi Everyone,

I recently decided to retire the Squeezebox touch and am now streaming music directly from the PC (using a Asus Xonar ST) to the DAC. The loss of remote control is slightly annoying, but I can live with it. The more annoying part is staring at the sixteen inch monitor placed on top of my equipment rack.

I tried looking for 7-10 inch monitors but I can't find them (there are a few, but ridiculously priced). One option I was thinking of was a car TV and connected using a VGA to composite convertor (my PC only has VGA). Will it work? If yes, any suggestions for a good car TV (a VGA/HDMI in would be nice :) ).

I was wondering if anyone has tried to solve this problem. Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers

I have exactly the same problem. And whereas I did find some solutions, they were not available as retail products. Finally I gave up.

Car monitor seems to be the only way out, something I will go ahead with when I am back to India and in a position to do something on a permanent basis. As of now I have no option but to keep my 42 inches plasma on while playing music. Seriously, it sucks, and not only because it's so environment unfriendly.

Thanks for starting discussion. I need something similar. Will closely follow this thread. Recently I came across USB powered monitor by AOC for 7.5k. So you have only 1 cable for transferring data as well as for powering it up. What is the cost of car TV?

^^^ Good find. However, prices are still a bit on the higher side than I was hoping to spend on this. I found many deals of similar stuff in the range of 150 USD, but those were wholesale prices.

^^^ Good find. However, prices are still a bit on the higher side than I was hoping to spend on this. I found many deals of similar stuff in the range of 150 USD, but those were wholesale prices.

A cheap andriod tabled (5k?) will offer almost the same functionlity on wireless. Or even an andriod phone for that matter.

Most of the times I use an ipad or my windows mobile phoned with remote apps to control foobar. And as a back up have the tv connected to the pc.

A cheap andriod tabled (5k?) will offer almost the same functionlity on wireless. Or even an andriod phone for that matter.

Most of the times I use an ipad or my windows mobile phoned with remote apps to control foobar. And as a back up have the tv connected to the pc.

That's a good working solution for computer based playback. But this option wasn't available earlier, this is a relatively new thing.

Wanting to reduce the number of equipments, I moved all my music to a NAS, and connected all entertainment devices with a switch. A network player now fetches music from the NAS and feeds to the DAC. The only missing bit now is that I must keep the TV on, because this media player doesn't have an app that can control it. So my requirement is slightly different from the original post.

For a computer based playback, a Squeezebox Server and an Android based remote control app is the cheapest and best solution.

Thanks Guys, for the responses.

If the pc is on a wireless network how about android/iPad remote? I am using one for foobar

Thanks for the suggestions Sachin, but right now I am trying to simplify the setup. I might consider that as an add on later but as of now I am looking to build a setup which runs without any need for networking.

Thanks for starting discussion. I need something similar. Will closely follow this thread. Recently I came across USB powered monitor by AOC for 7.5k. So you have only 1 cable for transferring data as well as for powering it up. What is the cost of car TV?

There are a few 7" car TVs available for 3-4k on ebay.in. So I am assuming the price will be in that vicinity. The only problem is that they do not accept VGA input.

Thanks for the links. I will see if I can find something in JC road that does the job. If not, then it would be one of these guys.

Last edited:
If the pc is on a wireless network how about android/iPad remote? I am using one for foobar

Even I setup my music pc last week with foobar and with my micromax funbook tablet the foobar remote is too good. My Mobo has optical out so ordered the Toslink cable to connect to my receiver. Right now just using the RCA out from the mobo. The convenience and usage of the andriod remote is too good to be true. Now I have the xbmc and foobar remote on the same tablet. I browse create/edit playlists and the icing on the cake is that the album art gets downloaded automatically based on the name..

Thanks

+1 to that. The 16 inch monitor I am using right cost me ~4000. I am looking for a solution in the same vicinity.

Same thing discussed on forum in the past,
I have 10 inch car monitor /tv which is gifted by a friend . He salvaged it from trademill Remains unused ..
It has PC monitor plug ( one side mini USB one monitor out) weird cable but luckily I got it on Lamington Road!

Now I was considering making Music pc but letter scrapped the plan and sold the pc.

NOW COMES INTERSTING PART.

These monitors at least mine is very LOW RESOLUTION. In first go I was not able to see anything! Then I attached other monitor and reduced windows xp setting it worked!

But it was looking horrible! And slight difficulty to read! Never liked it!

Later I scarped the project and sold my PC and ESI maya card.

However found that monitor was good with friends Chinese media player ok resolution and output!

Solution Attempt #1

Removed the stand and laid the LCD panel flat on its back.

At least I don't have to stare at a large LCD monitor. And it is easier to cover it when I am not listening. Need a smaller keyboard.

I use one of those Lenovo Keyboards. The N5901. It is wireless (2.4Ghz). Amazon.com: Lenovo Multimedia Remote with Keyboard N5901: Electronics
I've been using it for a year and I must say the trackball has been getting increasingly quirky lately. It is very handy, but the trackball does drive me nuts these days.

This is the updated version, with a blackberry style optical trackpad and backlighting. http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Multim...=1345783294&sr=8-3&keywords=lenovo+multimedia

This one also looks good (It is much bigger than the Lenovos): Amazon.com: IOGEAR GKM681R 2.4GHz Wireless Compact Keyboard with Optical Trackball and Scroll Wheel (Silver/Black): Electronics

I use one of those Lenovo Keyboards. The N5901. It is wireless (2.4Ghz). Amazon.com: Lenovo Multimedia Remote with Keyboard N5901: Electronics
I've been using it for a year and I must say the trackball has been getting increasingly quirky lately. It is very handy, but the trackball does drive me nuts these days.

I have exactly the same version and it works flawlessly. But I don't use it much + it's nearly dust free here + I never touch it with grease/oily hands.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back