A thing or two about cleaning and maintaining your records

ezee...hmmmmm....worth a shot

can someone also share any special method they use to protect the labels while washing?

After going through Steven's thread on Spin Clean...thinking of Knosti (because it is locally available). The little rig would at least make the manual cleaning process a little less tedious...

Labels are tough creatures. They'll just get a bit damp and will dry out along with the rest of the LP. I've never had a label come away, or even get remotely damaged.

Zerostat Antistatic Gun works nicely - there is a you tube clip for that. Not sure how effective it is, but sounds logical to me that it will reduce static on the surface which otherwise causes dust to stick on to the grooves.

The Zerostat Gun works great, but it helpful for use AFTER all the vinyl is clean and ready to use.

Wet cleaning actually gets rid of any static on the vinyl. However, a Vacuum cleaning is the most desirable method to really get the dirt out of the grooves and away from the record.

The Zerostat Gun works great, but it helpful for use AFTER all the vinyl is clean and ready to use.

Wet cleaning actually gets rid of any static on the vinyl. However, a Vacuum cleaning is the most desirable method to really get the dirt out of the grooves and away from the record.

Is there any economic vacuum cleaner?

ezee...hmmmmm....worth a shot

can someone also share any special method they use to protect the labels while washing?

After going through Steven's thread on Spin Clean...thinking of Knosti (because it is locally available). The little rig would at least make the manual cleaning process a little less tedious...

I purchased Knosti. It works fine. But vacuum cleaning is the best and produce better sound. We have tested it using 2 pieces of same record - one cleaned through Knosti and another cleaned through Nitty Gritty played side by side in the same TT. Nitti Gritty cleaned record sounded clearly better.

I use SpinClean Disc washer system. It's very simple to use and the results are very good.

Hi Shivam,
I also want to purchase the Spin Clean system, on contacting them via E-mail they forwarded it to a dealer in Mumbai who quoted almost 100% higher than the original cost (including shipping I must add and only after pre payment).
Any easier way to import it/ site other than ask someone to get it for you?

Regards

^^Home electronics attract minimum duty. Order online from a reputed site/dealer preferably with paypal facility.
Guys vacuum cleaner for wet cleaning or just dry vacuuming?
Here in india, eureka forbes sells wet n dry vacuum cleaner @ 10k.
Even cheaper dedicated stuff...- use doctors' suction machine. Costs between 3.5 to 6k. Beware, its just a diy suggestion. I never tried it so far.

I place plastic sheet on newspapers, put record on it. with brand new thick shoe polish brush I clean them with water+IPA+little detergent both side one after another, than run them under tap water with heavy force. Than I clean them with inverter battery water, wipe them dry, leave them overnight, wipe again with clean and dry cotton cloth.
Give me all your dirty records. I will clean them for you. But I may not return them back to you.
Regards

I wish to thank N.Murali for his complements. I am a total vinyl addict and I have tried many different methods to clean records . None of them have worked successfully until I started the cleaning process explained to N,Murali at the Chennai meet. As requested by him I will elaborate it for the benefit of other forum members. You will need the following items to do this
1. An old TT (preferably not working)
2. Isopropyl Alcohol
3, De-mineralised water
4. Eezy liquid soap
5. special brush for cleaning from Dataquest
6. wet&dry vacume cleaner with PVC pipe attached. The length of the pvc pipe shoul be 6.5 inches .A felt measuring 3.5 inches length and 3 mm width should be glued on the end of the pvc pipe and 1mm slit made on the pipe covering the felt should be made.

Mix 15-20% Isopropyle Alcohol with demineeralised water and add few drops of eezy liquid soap. Put the record to be cleaned on the TT and apply 10 ml of the liquid on the surface of the record. Turn the platter with your left hand while pressing the brush on record surface . Five times clock wise and anti-clock wise. Put the PVC pipe with the felt touching the surface of the record and ensure that the slit is dead centre for maximum effect . Switch on the vaccum cleaner and slowly turn the platter with your left hand until the entire surface is clean . Just play the cleaned record and your head will explode with details you have never heard before!

All the best
kuruvilajacob

I wish to thank N.Murali for his complements. I am a total vinyl addict and I have tried many different methods to clean records . None of them have worked successfully until I started the cleaning process explained to N,Murali at the Chennai meet. As requested by him I will elaborate it for the benefit of other forum members. You will need the following items to do this
1. An old TT (preferably not working)
2. Isopropyl Alcohol
3, De-mineralised water
4. Eezy liquid soap
5. special brush for cleaning from Dataquest
6. wet&dry vacume cleaner with PVC pipe attached. The length of the pvc pipe shoul be 6.5 inches .A felt measuring 3.5 inches length and 3 mm width should be glued on the end of the pvc pipe and 1mm slit made on the pipe covering the felt should be made.

Mix 15-20% Isopropyle Alcohol with demineeralised water and add few drops of eezy liquid soap. Put the record to be cleaned on the TT and apply 10 ml of the liquid on the surface of the record. Turn the platter with your left hand while pressing the brush on record surface . Five times clock wise and anti-clock wise. Put the PVC pipe with the felt touching the surface of the record and ensure that the slit is dead centre for maximum effect . Switch on the vaccum cleaner and slowly turn the platter with your left hand until the entire surface is clean . Just play the cleaned record and your head will explode with details you have never heard before!

All the best
kuruvilajacob

Hi Mr. Jacob,

What would be even more helpful would be if you could post the picture for the vacuum cleaning attachment that you have described in your post. I would like to be dead sure about the attachment before I try it on my records.

Thanks,
Kartick

Own and use zerostat gun with indifferent results. Own 1200 records. I use the following method: dissolve one tablespoon of shampoo in a bucket filled one third with tepid waterand agitate by hand working up a froth (from time to time). If bucket is of correct size and side-slope then label remains dry if record held from centre dipped vertically and rotated gently. Remove and gently rub in accumulated foam by hand in a circular motion while rinsing under running tap water (rotate to keep label dry holding at a slant. Stand record at a slant against a clean tiled bathroom wall and allow excess water to drain off. Dry horizontal under fan on clean surface (mica top table) optionally covered with lint free (old dhoti / turban) malmal cloth. Always resleeve unless record relatively new and clean with original sleeve in great shape. I then clean in a newly acquired manual spin clean system using original fluid ( stated to be non detergent & non alcohol) after about 20 lps I find more dirt has sedimented at bottom of tank so it obviously works. Nevertheless previously also records were cleaned sucessfully as above described. I also have additionally used isopropyl alcohol diluted 1:10 filtered water in a sprayer to finish up by buffing gently with a velvet lined record cleaning brush before resleeving. Be aware also that surface noise you hear is not only on account of static charge or dust but due to tiny scratches and if it appears to 'ride' instruments or vocals then it is due to mialigned cart or worn out stylii or too little tracking force. Standing by to answer queries...

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back